Post a reply

Re: Murphy calls Ronnie "Offensive, Pathetic, Unprofessional

Postby Eirebilly

Murphy is a very good player and i very much like his style of play. I dont really like his attitude though and his constant search for media attention is pretty poor. If he was going to speak out about Ronnie through the media, i would have prefered that he was a little more diplomatic. His choice of words like Offensive, Pathetic, Unprofessional were far too OTT to be used in an interview.

Postby randam05

I do agree on that bit. But if a player beats him heavily hes not the sort to get grouchy, he will just applaud them and say very well done, and infact if they only just beat him, like selby WC 2007 semi final. He couldnt compliment selby enough.

Postby Caledonian Craig

One thing worth remembering here is that Shaun Murphy's comments are about a Ronnie O'Sullivan renowned for his disrespecting fellow pros throught hi career so Ronnie is not really in a position to be upset. I mean wasn't it prior to a Crucible Semi-Final in the late 90's that he promised to send Stephen Hendry 'back to his sad little life in Scotland'. Very nasty and spiteful remarks there.

Postby Roland

He was copying Mark Williams with the rest in the air shot. I've copied Mark Williams too and if you do it right, the rest is steady as a rock. It's only people who don't know how to do it who think it's risky.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:He was copying Mark Williams with the rest in the air shot. I've copied Mark Williams too and if you do it right, the rest is steady as a rock. It's only people who don't know how to do it who think it's risky.

yes ive done it also the more you do it the more steady it becomes its just a matter of knowing how its done however i did not think it was that steady with Ronnie.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I can understand why Ronnie fans are out against Murphy's comments. However it took big balls from Murphy to come out and stand by his comments.

no i cant understand why Ronnie fans are against Murphy saying what he said.

if they defend Ronnie on what he sais they got to expect someone else to give it to him for acting like a spoilt child every so often.

Postby Eirebilly

I dont like it when any player does it to be honest. I dont care whether its Ronnie, Williams or Murphy. I am not against freedom of speach but i prefer things to be done in a more diplomatic way and not use words like pathetic when speaking about a fellow professional.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:I dont like it when any player does it to be honest. I dont care whether its Ronnie, Williams or Murphy. I am not against freedom of speach but i prefer things to be done in a more diplomatic way and not use words like pathetic when speaking about a fellow professional.

yes Unprofessional and offensive would have been strong enough Pathetic did step over the line of Decency and you cant criticize someone for being unprofessional if by using Pathetic he himself was unprofessional.

Postby Eirebilly

Agreed wild. It was OTT from Murphy. You can say that Ronnie had it coming but he also should'nt be shooting his mouth off as much as he does. The best comeback to a Ronnie rant i have ever heard was by Ken Doherty after Ronnie called him boring. Ken simply said, "what Ronnie says about me goes in one ear and out the other, i am not sure his brain knows what his gob is doing sometimes". Thats a class response.

Postby NedB-H

Murphy is a tool, fair enough that he was asked for his opinion but if you haven't got anything nice to say... and he even says himself that his mates weren't upset at all but found it quite funny, the reaction of most casual snooker fans was the same and it brought the game some attention. The fans who were there weren't gonna go home thinking "we got screwed out of seeing a 147", if anything they got an even better deal, Ronnie has made so many maximums that some of them aren't that memorable, but this will remain a talking point for years, and the fans can say "I was there when Ronnie didn't want to pot the black". Much more impressive.

Postby Wildey

NedB-H wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i always find being honest better than being false if thats how he felt spit it out i know i would.

nah, if someone asks what you think about someone, and you think he's a bit of a hammer, far better to just not comment...

obviously not in every situation but in that situation where you just know players talking behind ronnies back differently to his face i would be honest with the guy. saying pathetic over stepped the mark but the rest was how he felt

some people are sensitive therefore you dont want to hurt their feelings but with ronnie its like water off a ducks back i think its best he put it out there and i love that sort of tension in a match.

i was ill last night wasn't in much mood for nothing but i just had to watch that match.

Postby Noel

NedB-H wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i always find being honest better than being false if thats how he felt spit it out i know i would.

nah, if someone asks what you think about someone, and you think he's a bit of a hammer, far better to just not comment...

Classic "on the horns of a dilemna" issue...

Wild chooses to spit.
You choose to swallow.

=o)

Noel

Postby Wildey

Noel wrote:
NedB-H wrote:

Classic "on the horns of a dilemna" issue...

Wild chooses to spit.
You choose to swallow.

=o)

Noel

rofl rofl

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:Murphy is a very good player and i very much like his style of play. I dont really like his attitude though and his constant search for media attention is pretty poor. If he was going to speak out about Ronnie through the media, i would have prefered that he was a little more diplomatic. His choice of words like Offensive, Pathetic, Unprofessional were far too OTT to be used in an interview.

I agree with that. It's not what Murphy is complaining about that bothers me. I think deliberately missing the black was a bit childish of Ronnie, but to call Ronnie names was unprofessional on Murphy's part, not anybody elses. He said afterwards that he'd also said Ronnie was a good player and good for the game. Well, he's either going to be diplomatic, or he isn't.

Personally, if he'd have said; "I didn't agree with Ronnie not trying for the black, as fans pay money to see him play and it could be interpreted wrongly. I have no issue with Ronnie as a player or person, but think this was a poor choice." I think it would've got the point across, without making himself look like such a idiot.

It's good to hear that not all of the players/commentators rush to place their lips on Ronnie's backside, as a lot of them do, but if you are going to criticise somebody in a public forum there's doing it in a correct way that gets your point across. There's also doing it in a way that makes yourself look smug and self righteous. A sensible criticism always makes more effect then name calling.

I think some people I work with are hammers, but if I said this publically, or in an interview two weeks after the event happened, then I'd be fired. And I know I've been the first to call Ronnie a hammer in the past, and would do it again if he acted like one. But you expect the professionals to act, well, professional.

Postby Eirebilly

Bang on Snookerfan. Thre were so many ways Murphy could have got his point across but he chose the wrong way to do it. As someone thatis in the spotlight, he should be aware of the extra attention that gets paid to his comments. A fact that also escapes the attention of Ronnie as well to be fair.

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:Bang on Snookerfan. Thre were so many ways Murphy could have got his point across but he chose the wrong way to do it. As someone thatis in the spotlight, he should be aware of the extra attention that gets paid to his comments. A fact that also escapes the attention of Ronnie as well to be fair.

Correct. Which is why I don't feel too sorry for Ronnie to be honest. Bear in mind Ronnie's comments at last year's premier league about Peter Ebdon? He does it too. But Murphy should remember that two wrongs don't make a right.

I am behind Murphy in as much as I think Ronnie should be called on what he did. And would prefer him to say that if asked rather then go, "Oooh Ronnie's a god, lets all bow to what he says and does". However name calling isn't professional. As it goes, he made what I feel is a serious point, but instead of people considering it, they are considering Murphy's choice of words and it's reflected poorly on him.

Postby Noel

You guys sound like my Grandmother.
"Shame on you for name-calling! It's not nice!"
"Spare the bar of soap and spoil the snooker player!"
"Only misspent youths make badmouth miscues, making fouls
of themselves and our dear sport. REAL professionals are above that crap"

[tune in Oct. 30. See Gramma roll over in her grave when the "Boys on the Baize" also become "Men with Mics" in PowerBall.]

=o)

Noel