Topic locked

Re: Revealed: Why John Higgins Was Cleared

Postby Monique

Gallant, I don't get this. If Burnett is sole guilty why didn't he allow Maguire to dominate this frame anyway? As you say it would have been less suspicious.
I have seen the video in full and for me the most "incriminating" part is not the last black. It's well before when Burnett commits that totally inexplicable foul on the black by touching it with his hand. But Maguire shot selection is quite strange also in spells in particular in the last frame (think last yellow and green)
But then, the bookies had suspended the bettings, WSA had been warned and all the players knew it, they also knew the match was monitored. So then why go along with it? Beats me. That is IMO the strongest point in favour of their innocence.

Postby gallantrabbit

In my mind Burnett thought he could let Maguire have it at any point in the frame because Maguire had been playing well, and then panicked at the end. I didn't even see the fouled black so that would compound my certainty. The shots from green to black were horribly dodgy. Wild throws of the cue and non-attempts at position. He hit a wild blue and a worse pink which went in off an extra cushion. By that stage he was panicking imo so didn't even have the front to jaw the black, but missed it by about 3 inches.
Ok the betting had been suspended but even at that stage Burnett had to do his part. Whether he still collected or not I have no idea. I really don't think Maguire was in on it. He had no reason to be, he was on around 200k in prize money per year so no sense in getting involved. Burnett on the other hand was on his way out, down in the rankings and snooker in general was looking dead and buried. Course he's remembered he can play the game since.
There is no doubt in my mind that he was at it. The sort of shots he played were the sort you play when your mate is getting upset and you want to throw him a frame...

Postby Monique

gallantrabbit wrote:Monique - have just seen just the black again rofl It is literally laughable. my sister could get closer with the wrong hand...
Burnett :fart:

Yes I have. And as a teacher in Uni I have seen what students can do when panicked. Literally anything... believe me.
I have no doubt Burnett was panicking, but it could have been because the match was turning into the worst possible result for him just as well. You will tell me that had it applied himself he would have got every chance to have 4 frames on the board and be in the clear. True. But when really panicked people don't think straigth. So until the affair is judged I'll give them both the presumption of innocence.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Monique - have just seen just the black again rofl It is literally laughable. my sister could get closer with the wrong hand...
Burnett :fart:

mate its nowhere near the easiest pot ive seen missed though

Postby GJ

judging by mr gallants previous comments he has a real chip on his shoulder about burnett so we should take his comments with a pinch of salt.

Postby gallantrabbit

Nah just pisses me off big time that it's being let go. Can you seriously tell me that that black was nerves/panic. No way. A child given a cue for the first time who then had it swapped for the wrong end of a broom stick could have done better. He missed it by 3 whole inches.....He is a pro who has twice made three tons in a match. If you are 7-8 behind you are nervous. If you are 3-8 down you are not. Can't believe you lot let it go <doh>

Postby GJ

gallantrabbit wrote:Nah just pisses me off big time that it's being let go. Can you seriously tell me that that black was nerves/panic. No way. A child given a cue for the first time who then had it swapped for the wrong end of a broom stick could have done better. He missed it by 3 whole inches.....He is a pro who has twice made three tons in a match. If you are 7-8 behind you are nervous. If you are 3-8 down you are not. Can't believe you lot let it go <doh>

the CPS are dealing with it

Postby GJ

gallantrabbit wrote:The CPS are dealing with it horribly slowly, and for someone who was so against Higgins comeback your attitude is almost as laughable as that black..

I take each incident on its merit

I see them taking so long is that they are cluthing at straws and both players wil eventually be cleared of any wrong doing

Postby Roland

His shot selection was very questionable before that black. I wonder what was going through his mind. He was obviously not thinking straight anyway. He knew everyone was watching for the scoreline so under those circumstances why would you try for that scoreline? I can understand that with all going on around him he would be under stupid pressure to win that frame. It's not as cut and dried as saying if the score was 8-7 there would be more pressure than at 8-3. In normal circumstances yes, but in those circumstances who knows?

I tell you what though. When they faced each other at the Crucible Maguire was again 8-3 ahead and he had a big lead in the next frame with balls awkward, and Burnett played an incredible frame to get to 8-4. It was as if he was driven not to have the infamous scoreline repeated.

I and many others in that contest went for a 9-3 Maguire win because that was the expected margin of victory and we had no prior knowledge of the betting scam going on.

As far as I'm concerned the black doesn't prove anything because he was under stupid pressure on that particular shot. But the fluked pink and the position to get from blue to pink was bizarre to say the least. If he uses the mindfuck excuse for his shot selection at that moment in time then it's entirely plausible. If you think he'd priorly arranged to lose 9-3 and then found out everyone knew about it and as such had to make sure the scoreline was anything but 9-3 and then found himself 8-3 down with a clearance required, how do you think he felt?

Postby Tubberlad

That miss was a joke. It wasn't an easy black, but to miss by that much was laughable. I would have potted it, or at the very least gone an awful lot closer. More interestingly, watch his reaction to fluking the pink. Like he had just found out his family had been killed.

Postby gallantrabbit

RUSSIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 2018 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:The CPS are dealing with it horribly slowly, and for someone who was so against Higgins comeback your attitude is almost as laughable as that black..

I see them taking so long is that they are cluthing at straws and both players wil eventually be cleared of any wrong doing

Well GJ if you think they are clutching at straws either you know less about snooker than I thought or you just haven`t seen the clip.

Postby gallantrabbit

thetubberlad wrote:That miss was a joke. It wasn't an easy black, but to miss by that much was laughable. I would have potted it, or at the very least gone an awful lot closer. More interestingly, watch his reaction to fluking the pink. Like he had just found out his family had been killed.

He shouldn`t have missed by that much even if he had a kick..you know what i`m saying tubbs

Postby gallantrabbit

Sonny wrote:His shot selection was very questionable before that black. I wonder what was going through his mind. He was obviously not thinking straight anyway. He knew everyone was watching for the scoreline so under those circumstances why would you try for that scoreline? I can understand that with all going on around him he would be under stupid pressure to win that frame. It's not as cut and dried as saying if the score was 8-7 there would be more pressure than at 8-3. In normal circumstances yes, but in those circumstances who knows?

I tell you what though. When they faced each other at the Crucible Maguire was again 8-3 ahead and he had a big lead in the next frame with balls awkward, and Burnett played an incredible frame to get to 8-4. It was as if he was driven not to have the infamous scoreline repeated.

I and many others in that contest went for a 9-3 Maguire win because that was the expected margin of victory and we had no prior knowledge of the betting scam going on.

As far as I'm concerned the black doesn't prove anything because he was under stupid pressure on that particular shot. But the fluked pink and the position to get from blue to pink was bizarre to say the least. If he uses the mindfuck excuse for his shot selection at that moment in time then it's entirely plausible. If you think he'd priorly arranged to lose 9-3 and then found out everyone knew about it and as such had to make sure the scoreline was anything but 9-3 and then found himself 8-3 down with a clearance required, how do you think he felt?

ok sonny could be but i think you know the reality. i think i do too. it annoys me that people were so willing to get on the down higgins bandwagon but 99% evidence like this could be so easily forgotten and burnett`s final appearance in china actually applauded..

Postby wheelsofsteel

gallantrabbit wrote:Nah just pisses me off big time that it's being let go. Can you seriously tell me that that black was nerves/panic. No way. A child given a cue for the first time who then had it swapped for the wrong end of a broom stick could have done better. He missed it by 3 whole inches.....He is a pro who has twice made three tons in a match. If you are 7-8 behind you are nervous. If you are 3-8 down you are not. Can't believe you lot let it go <doh>

the CPS are dealing with it

why are the CPS involved?

Postby Casey

thetubberlad wrote:That miss was a joke. It wasn't an easy black, but to miss by that much was laughable. I would have potted it, or at the very least gone an awful lot closer. More interestingly, watch his reaction to fluking the pink. Like he had just found out his family had been killed.

<laugh>

Very true!

Also look at teh state of the attempt on the pink!

Postby Roland

gallantrabbit wrote:ok sonny could be but i think you know the reality. i think i do too.

Yes I certainly know how it looks

Postby Wildey

totally agree .

these two players are professional sportsmen not professional crooks.

if the police takes this long sorting out something involving amateurs there must be very little evidence there at all or god help us.

Postby Wildey

John Parrott was very critical of that black then in a qualifying match against Michael white in prestatyn he was faced with roughly the same shot and he missed it by even wider margin.

it happens

Postby wheelsofsteel

wildJONESEYE wrote:

totally agree .

if the police takes this long sorting out something involving amateurs there must be very little evidence there at all or god help us.

There might have been some delay in getting some people to assist or to talk

Postby Wildey

wheelsofsteel wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

totally agree .

There might have been some delay in getting some people to assist or to talk

as i said how the hell do these police sort out murders if they want someone to say "kweeeeee i did it" <doh>

Postby Witz78

110% clear cut the Burnett miss on the black. Anyone who denies this is either blind or has never played or watched snooker before.

Most clear cut case ever.

Burnett probably mutters under his breath to himself "Oh rubbish, how on earth can i miss this black now without it looking obvious" after the fluke on the pink.

He misses by miles, and the speed he plays it at too, its all to delicate and precise cos he knew if he hut it hard it might also fluke into another pocket.

And also missing it by cutting it too thin meant hed be sticking it up for Maguire.

Burnett cant get out of the arena quick enough after hes shaken Maguires hand, he has a very guilty look on his face.

Postby Noel

I feel no anguish about this issue at all.
It's straight-forward.
I confess I have lost, missing ridiculously easy pots, to let a friend win a frame, and
I have never done so for a 300,000 pound mortgage payment on a house in Spain.
Higgins got off because he has high friends in low places.

=o|

Noel

Postby Wildey

witz

lets clear something up.

all the looks the facial expression can be pointed to the fact they knew about the rubbish thats coming their way before he broke off in the first frame.

thats no proof at all so what have they to go on betting patterns with respect it doesn't take this long to work out that IF they got enough proof.

jesus its 3 years pending with 2 thick snooker players what are the cps doing <doh>

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote:jesus its 3 years pending with 2 thick snooker players what are the cps doing <doh>

Obviously... NOTHING!
They have been told to sit on their hands and STFU and not rock the boat.
These small fish don't need "impartial sports mediation" to appear scaled and clean.
People will just forget about it.

=o(

Noel

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:witz

lets clear something up.

all the looks the facial expression can be pointed to the fact they knew about the rubbish thats coming their way before he broke off in the first frame.

thats no proof at all so what have they to go on betting patterns with respect it doesn't take this long to work out that IF they got enough proof.

jesus its 3 years pending with 2 thick snooker players what are the cps doing <doh>

Well the word on the street is if the CPS didn’t get involved that they both would have been serving a ban by now.........

Postby Wildey

EXIBIT A

someone who got nothing better to do so he re said things we all heard before a 1000 times over the last 8 months yes that's right 8 bucking months people who gone to prison 6 months ago is already out getting on with their lives but not with this.

in 50 years time we will have a blog that said exactly the same thing.