Post a reply

Fergal O'Brien To Retire At End Of The Season

Postby SteveJJ

Well done Fergal. He will have a career in coaching and commentary.

If the World Cup comes back, will it be the first national team event this century where the Republic Of Ireland's team won't be Ken and Fergal?

Frees up a tour card next season as this is the first year of his current card.

A good solid career without hitting the heights, British Open champion, NI Trophy finalist, Masters finalist, world cup runner up and career high ranking of 9. 28 years in the top 64

Re: Fergal O'Brien To Retire At End Of The Season

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:The snooker tour will lose its sex appeal

Nonsense; we’ll still have Tom Ford :no:

Does he look as good as Fergal in a gimp suit though?

Postby Prop

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:The snooker tour will lose its sex appeal

Nonsense; we’ll still have Tom Ford :no:

Does he look as good as Fergal in a gimp suit though?

Equally haunting, I’d imagine.

Postby The_Abbott

I thought this was his second year of his card? He hasn't pulled up any trees these past few seasons and hasn't even bothered entering many of the tournaments this season.

One last Crucible hurrah?

Postby SteveJJ

The_Abbott wrote:I thought this was his second year of his card? He hasn't pulled up any trees these past few seasons and hasn't even bothered entering many of the tournaments this season.

One last Crucible hurrah?

You are right, 2nd year. Wouldn't begrudge him a last hurrah but doesn't look likely on current form

Postby RunningSide

SteveJJ wrote:Slightly odd to go through the bother of QSchool, to then announce your retirement so early on

Possible contract offer to commentary speeds his decision.

Postby Minimum Break

RunningSide wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Slightly odd to go through the bother of QSchool, to then announce your retirement so early on

Exactly. He previously said you'd know he'd retired when he was dead so obviously the offer from Eurosport was too good to refuse.

Postby SnookerFan

Minimum Break wrote:
RunningSide wrote:

Exactly. He previously said you'd know he'd retired when he was dead so obviously the offer from Eurosport was too good to refuse.

I mean, good for him.

I mean, why slug it out in the qualifiers where he's getting paid pittance, if at all, if he can get a nicely paid commentary job?

No disrespect to Fergal, but he's at the end of his career now. I don't envision him having enough tournament runs to make staying on tour worth it. Might as well commentate, hadn't he? He doesn't seem that bad at it either.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
RunningSide wrote:

I mean, good for him.

I mean, why slug it out in the qualifiers where he's getting paid pittance, if at all, if he can get a nicely paid commentary job?

No disrespect to Fergal, but he's at the end of his career now. I don't envision him having enough tournament runs to make staying on tour worth it. Might as well commentate, hadn't he? He doesn't seem that bad at it either.

commentary won't be a full time job. but he is also doing coaching now.

Postby HappyCamper

RunningSide wrote:Any idea who he's working with,fergal not known for attack style snooker, could be difficult to change modern players approach..

not aware of any pros as of yet. think mostly amateurs at the moment

Postby RunningSide

Certainly would give amateurs good insights what's required to be on tour and a repeatable technique that works under pressure, good luck to him.