Post a reply

Re: Steve Dawson SPEAKS!

Postby Dan-cat

McManusFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:
For me it depends how much “more” the betting companies offered. And why they are so often the top bidders.

I can imagine just how valuable and targetted the advertising exposure is for bookies compared to non-betting brands. Are you rushing out to buy a Pukka Pie / second-hand car? No. But you can just pick up your phone and place a bet during a game... instant revenue generator

I did actually use cazoo to buy my last car, partly because of the snooker support.

It works, then!

Postby mack501

Should have asked Steve why there isn't any ranking tournaments in Belgium.

Postby gninnur karona

Dan-cat wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Fans forget that we are only a couple of years out of Covid, and that during that time China disappeared completely, and with it all their prize money. WST did a hell of a job to keep the ship afloat at all.

World Snooker Holdings Limited made a dividend payment of £3.5M to their shareholders (including Stephen Dawson) during 2021.

Not sure what you are getting at here, Guinnar.

Since Matchroom took over World Snooker (up until 2022):

- Had 194M in revenues
- Paid directors and staff 50M
- Paid players 114M in prizes (of 66M commitment)
- Paid shareholders 8.4M in dividends.

All of which points to a successful, well-run business.

Full breakdown is here: https://medium.com/@edgarmaloverian/wor ... 551d3d2152

Fully agree that Matchroom is a successful well-run business.

But whilst Steve Dawson and Eddie Hearn are comfortable answering questions about Matchroom, confident and open, that assurance is largely absent when they talk snooker - the notable exception snooker in the UK.

If snooker continues to concentrate largely on the UK market it will fail to approach its potential.

The gap between snooker prize money and that for golf and tennis was already a chasm before Saudi Arabia interested itself in golf. Whether Saudi Arabia is good for golf is debatable, but that it is good for the pockets of elite golfers is certain. And it does demonstrate that snooker is vulnerable to a takeover particularly where the governing body shows complacency.

Three figures (British sportsmen) to consider.

Joe Salisbury (42nd) tennis earnings ATP 2023 just short of £1M.
Martin Laird (124th) golf earnings PGA 2023 just over £1M.
Ricky Walden (21st) snooker earnings ranking events 2013/14-2022/23 just over £1M.