Post a reply

Re: Qatar want World Championship

Postby RunningSide

Contract runs out 2026 with the crucible, I've heard Barry trying to encourage Sheffield to build a bigger version of the crucible with double capacity which I doubt selling that amount is possible, maybe first couple of years for novelty. Also Sheffield having a 2k seat theatre wouldn't be sustainable for 11 months of the year. Think Baz is looking for a out without taking any personal flak or going back on promise.

Postby chengdufan

If The Crucible were the only venue in the running every time the contract were up for renewal, they could charge as much as they wanted. Courting other places is just to keep them honest.

Postby The_Abbott

so take it away from the country most fans and players come from?

I could see an England/China alternate years situation in the future but Qatar?

Postby RunningSide

The_Abbott wrote:so take it away from the country most fans and players come from?

I could see an England/China alternate years situation in the future but Qatar?

Qatar can buy anything, could probably do 3 thousand front row Brian's in CGI to make look full.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:That's not all you've said about Si though, is it Smurph?

wrong thread again perhaps? :chin:

Postby Alex0paul

The Qatar Curse at least has a ring to it for first time defending champions

Postby Snooker89

Surely if Qatar really wanted a tournament World Snooker would have asked them to put on a world ranking event with the same prize money as the planned Saudi Arabia Masters

Postby Wildey

Snooker89 wrote:Surely if Qatar really wanted a tournament World Snooker would have asked them to put on a world ranking event with the same prize money as the planned Saudi Arabia Masters

yea at the very least they would test the water capacity, interest etc first

Postby HappyCamper

didn't supposedly just bring in like some bangladeshi slave labour as ringers to fill empty seats the fifa world cup or something,

Postby RunningSide

HappyCamper wrote:didn't supposedly just bring in like some bangladeshi slave labour as ringers to fill empty seats the fifa world cup or something,

Yeah, desperate to save face,also false attendance figures in many matches. Considering emailing their government my suggestion ,CGI front row Brian 3k to fill venue.

Postby Prop

It’s all bullocks. A publicity stunt by Hearn to create the false impression of us being in danger of losing the Worlds to the evil of oil-rich Qatar.

Then when the new deal with the Crucible is announced everyone can praise Hearn for ‘saving’ it. And as Chengdufan mentions, there’s the chance of negotiating a better price on the back of it.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:It’s all bullocks. A publicity stunt by Hearn to create the false impression of us being in danger of losing the Worlds to the evil of oil-rich Qatar.

Then when the new deal with the Crucible is announced everyone can praise Hearn for ‘saving’ it. And as Chengdufan mentions, there’s the chance of negotiating a better price on the back of it.

Yeah.

I don't see it going to Qatar.