Post a reply

John Virgo staying now

Postby SnookerFan

John Virgo will be involved with the BBC’s snooker coverage for the ‘foreseeable future’ having previously been told that his time in the commentary box was coming to an end.

The legendary commentator, player and former host of Big Break expected last year’s World Championship to be the last for both him and Dennis Taylor after decades covering the game on television.

Speaking to the Talking Snooker podcast in September 2021 Virgo said: ‘Listen, you never know what’s round the corner in life, but it looks like this will be my last season. Not my choice, theirs [the BBC]. Along with Dennis (Taylor) apparently.

‘That’s what we’re getting, that this will be our last season. I think that’s definite. The World Championship will be our last one. It’s not my decision, I love the game and everything else. But I understand, nothing lasts for ever, I understand that.’

However, it appears the BBC have had a change of heart of the much-loved commentators, with Virgo saying he has now been told things will remain as they are for some time.

The 77-year-old was appearing on new BBC podcast Snookered, set to be released in April, and asked how he felt about his commentary career coming to an end, he revealed that it actually isn’t.

‘Well from what I’ve heard recently that’s not going to happen,’ Virgo told hosts Des Clarke and Amy Matthews. ‘I spoke to one of the producers and I said “well you know it’ll be my last year…” and he said “no no no, we’re not going to do that now. We’re going to stay as we are for the foreseeable future.” Which was fantastic.

'How I felt about it when I first heard that it could be our last year… It’s like a sabbatical for us. We go there, Thursday morning’s no play we play golf; myself Dennis Steve Stephen Hendry, Alan McManus, John Parrott, Ken Doherty.

‘I’d have missed that terribly you know. Just going there. So for the foreseeable future, now whether that’s this year, next year and that’ll be it? So that was great, it was music to my ears….

‘That’s what was said to me at the UK [Championship] in York and I was absolutely delighted to hear it and however long it goes on for I don’t mind but it was good news, it was music to my ears.’

World number 31 Joe Perry is very much still competing on the table but has also moved into the commentary box and called for the veterans to stay on when it appeared they were set to be moved on.

‘I’ve noticed a lot of sports are gradually bringing in newer, younger, more up-to-date people,’ Perry told Metro.co.uk after the initial decision from the BBC. ‘I’ve worked with Virgo and Dennis and what they know, doesn’t come cheaply, that’s years and years of experience. They might miss a few tricks with some shots that some boys play today but they do know their stuff and they’re excellent at their job.

‘Commentary isn’t just what’s going on on the table, there’s introducing the frames, closing the frames out, creating the drama and they’re excellent at that. We might understand the modern game a bit better, but we’ve got a lot to learn from them on that part of the job.

‘The odd one comes along and is exceptional, like Alan McManus. He’s so good that he can be the anchor role in the commentary box already. He steered Jack Lisowski into being a decent commentator, but throw Jack in with someone else it could have been a car crash. Alan is exceptional, but some people are naturally good at it. It would be a shame to see them go, though, because it’s easy to forget the impact they’ve had on snooker and get caught up in the moment.'

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/29/bbc-u-tu ... -18524565/

Re: John Virgo staying now

Postby SnookerEd25

I’ve been critical of JV, but I’d miss him if he went. I shall look forward to moaning about him next season too! :D

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:'How I felt about it when I first heard that it could be our last year… It’s like a sabbatical for us. We go there, Thursday morning’s no play we play golf; myself Dennis Steve Stephen Hendry, Alan McManus, John Parrott, Ken Doherty.

Jesus bucking Christ <doh>

It’s supposed to be your job! How about using that time to do some bucking research, then you’d know more about the players and they wouldn’t be considering getting rid of you in the first place!

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:So, you’re on the fence, Iranu? :chin:

I mean, I’m actually glad he’s staying on.

His ability to inject drama is second to none.

But imagine how good he’d be if he bothered to put some effort into his tour knowledge.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:So, you’re on the fence, Iranu? :chin:

I mean, I’m actually glad he’s staying on.

His ability to inject drama is second to none.

But imagine how good he’d be if he bothered to put some effort into his tour knowledge.

Well, there is that. I know how good he used to be, when the sport was a lot more parochial :sad:

Postby mantorok

Glad he's staying, wouldn't be the same without him. Not really bothered about him doing research, for me he's there to create atmosphere and drama, not spout stats or gasbag about unrelated matches and players.

Postby Alex0paul

Where’s the John Virgo going?

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:Glad he's staying, wouldn't be the same without him. Not really bothered about him doing research, for me he's there to create atmosphere and drama, not spout stats or gasbag about unrelated matches and players.

I’m talking more in terms of knowing who the player is and how their season has gone (and not just in the BBC events).

The issue is that only Angles and Ken, and I guess to a lesser extent Hendry via ITV, will be able to fill in the blanks, so it makes the lesser-known players seem like nobodies even if they’ve had a good season.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
mantorok wrote:Glad he's staying, wouldn't be the same without him. Not really bothered about him doing research, for me he's there to create atmosphere and drama, not spout stats or gasbag about unrelated matches and players.

I’m talking more in terms of knowing who the player is and how their season has gone (and not just in the BBC events).

The issue is that only Angles and Ken, and I guess to a lesser extent Hendry via ITV, will be able to fill in the blanks, so it makes the lesser-known players seem like nobodies even if they’ve had a good season.

I worded that wrong, I meant I’d prefer someone who created drama and atmosphere over someone who just spouts a load of crap a la Yates and Studd.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:

Angles is on Eurosport only these days. For those in the know of the tour it's Ken, Smurph and Perry.

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Angles is on Eurosport only these days. For those in the know of the tour it's Ken, Smurph and Perry.

Ffs I knew that, Virgo mentioning him threw me off.

Forgot about Perry (accidentally) and Murphy (deliberately).

Postby Alex0paul

I’m sure they’ll get Reanne in to tick some boxes

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I worded that wrong, I meant I’d prefer someone who created drama and atmosphere over someone who just spouts a load of crap a la Yates and Studd.

Yates and Studd. The all-Phil dream team.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Ffs I knew that, Virgo mentioning him threw me off.

Forgot about Perry (accidentally) and Murphy (deliberately).

I'm not really sure how I remembered Perry to be fair.

Postby The_Abbott

JV does have the ability t make even the most boring snooker matches exciting with his dramatic commentary style. So glad he is being kept on. Other comms don't have this same skill.

Postby SnookerFan

The lack of knowledge thing does still bother me a bit.

I mean, he admitted that he didn't know anything about the modern game. And acted like it was some disgrace that he was expected to keep up with these things. That's not a disgrace, he's there to provide expert commentary. It's his job.

That's not to say I disagree with his bigging up of the game, or bringing in excitement. But I don't think the BBC are being unreasonable to expect their commentators to bone up on their knowledge a bit. It's something that applies to a lot of their pundits.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:The lack of knowledge thing does still bother me a bit.

I mean, he admitted that he didn't know anything about the modern game. And acted like it was some disgrace that he was expected to keep up with these things. That's not a disgrace, he's there to provide expert commentary. It's his job.

That's not to say I disagree with his bigging up of the game, or bringing in excitement. But I don't think the BBC are being unreasonable to expect their commentators to bone up on their knowledge a bit. It's something that applies to a lot of their pundits.

Yes, his very first comment last year was "I don't know anything about Scott Donaldson", which not only shows ignorance and laziness, but it's also hugely disrespectful to the player and the audience. It's as if Virgo is so much of a star himself, nobody else matters, except for a few top players who he constantly eulogises.

But actually, my view is that it's only fair to give others the same chance that Virgo (and Dennis Taylor) were given over 40 years ago. The stagnation of the BBC pundits is a symptom of the same problem with snooker generally.
Last edited by lhpirnie on 30 Mar 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

It is a ludicrous thing to admit on air. At the very least, spend a few minutes on Wikipedia and make a few salient notes beforehand; bluff your way through if necessary :hmmm:

“the rise of Wikipedia has rendered a University education almost pointless” - Alan Partridge :ok:

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:which hotel is he staying in?

The Last Chance Saloon :irk:

See; there I go again :no: :hmmm: