Post a reply

Match fixing hearing to clash with The Cruce

Postby SnookerFan

This year’s World Championship is set to be overshadowed by the hearing for the 10 Chinese players suspended and charged with match-fixing offences.

The snooker authorities had hoped to stage the independent tribunal by March, to at least have a chance of the process being tied up before the blue-riband tournament. But delays have seen the provisional scheduled date pushed back until the end of April, with the Crucible extravaganza starting on April 15.

Ronnie O’Sullivan will be going for a record eighth crown in Sheffield, in an event that is the biggest and best showcase of what the game has to offer. After the hearing there will be time needed for the panel to arrive at their decision, publish the verdicts and agree on sanctions – with then possible appeals to follow.

Former Masters champion Yan Bingtao, Lu Ning, Zhang Jiankang, Chen Zifan, Chang Bingyu and Zhao Jianbo were charged with fixing a match. And former UK champion Zhao Xintong, Liang Wenbo, Li Hang and Bai Langning were charged with being concerned in fixing someone else’s match.

World Snooker Tour also need the situation resolved as soon as possible with one eye on getting the tour numbers right for next season after the World Championship. Five of the players charged are based at the Ding Junhui Snooker Academy in Sheffield, including Zhao Jianbo, 19, and 20-year-olds Bai Langning and Chang Bingyu.

Senior pro and world No41 Tian Pengfei, 35, also based at Ding’s but not in any way involved, said: “It has been a tough time for the Chinese players, of course the ones suspended and charged - but also the others as well.

“We came here all feeling really good, over together from China living here and then had the pandemic for two years. Most of us stayed here without going home with the quarantine rules. And the news was of course not good at all. We will have to see in the hearing if some people have made big mistakes.

“It isn’t good for the sport, or any of the players. We know there are many good Chinese players. Some of those suspended have won very big tournaments. And in the recent Welsh Open even without any of the 10 suspended, there were still three Chinese players in the quarter-finals.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sp ... g-29318403

Re: Match fixing hearing to clash with The Cruce

Postby Prop

Bit of a non-story by the tabloid newspaper there.

You could only really call it a clash if the hearing was being conducted in the same building and affected the actual tournament. But it’s not, so :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Call me cynical, but what a perfect time to have it! Snooker in the news, more eyes on the Crucible.

I suppose there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Some might say that it'll paint snooker in a bad light during the most important tournament of the year. But, I wonder how many people will stop watching because of this vs how many people will start tuning in to see how the BBC handle the situation.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Call me cynical, but what a perfect time to have it! Snooker in the news, more eyes on the Crucible.

I suppose there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Some might say that it'll paint snooker in a bad light during the most important tournament of the year. But, I wonder how many people will stop watching because of this vs how many people will start tuning in to see how the BBC handle the situation.

That’s kind of my point. The BBC and press can choose to insulate one from the other. The hearing doesn’t necessarily need discussion from Hazel and the pundits every day. And I doubt there’d be a great deal to report on before the players get their punishment anyway.

But obviously there’s social media and tabloids, so certain corners will be whipping up regular updates from nothing throughout the tournament, for clicks and sales.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:That’s kind of my point. The BBC and press can choose to insulate one from the other. The hearing doesn’t necessarily need discussion from Hazel and the pundits every day. And I doubt there’d be a great deal to report on before the players get their punishment anyway.

But obviously there’s social media and tabloids, so certain corners will be whipping up regular updates from nothing throughout the tournament, for clicks and sales.

Bear in mind, The Mirror is hardly a top quality newspaper.

To be honest, there always seems to be articles reflecting on snooker negatively during the run-up to The Crucible. We always used to get one every year saying that snooker is boring, nobody watches it, nobody knows who any of the players are etc. Though, that's slowed down the last few years.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Prop wrote:That’s kind of my point. The BBC and press can choose to insulate one from the other. The hearing doesn’t necessarily need discussion from Hazel and the pundits every day. And I doubt there’d be a great deal to report on before the players get their punishment anyway.

Bear in mind, The Mirror is hardly a top quality newspaper.

Erm, yeah. That also was my point.

The only ‘clashing’ going on will be from social media and the gutter press.

I’d imagine it’ll get a mention on the BBC and Eurosport, but I doubt they’ll flog the story day in day out. There’s no need.

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human wrote:I support life bans and the severest possible financial penalty ... for anyone that refers to the Crucible as the 'Cruce'.

rofl

Postby mantorok

Exactly, look at all the rubbish that gets published about football over the years, no such thing as bad publicity.

Postby The_Abbott

So we get a choice do we? BBC 1 has the match fixing court case live and BBC 2 are showing Crucible snooker highlights after an repeat episode of Bargain Hunt?

Postby Juddernaut88

The_Abbott wrote:So we get a choice do we? BBC 1 has the match fixing court case live and BBC 2 are showing Crucible snooker highlights after an repeat episode of Bargain Hunt?

rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:If only there was a snooker player called Bruce. Bruce at the Cruce.

Bruce Donkin used to be MC at the CRUCIBLE.

He would never have stood for anybody calling it anything other than the CRUCIBLE.

I reckon he’d have Rob Walker over his knee :grrr:

Postby Iranu

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Image

It's time to get loose at The Cruce.

He looks like he’s in a wheelchair

He will be if he keeps bucking saying Cruce

Postby The_Abbott

Iranu wrote:
Alex0paul wrote: