Post a reply

Re: Ten players banned over match-fixing allegations

Postby Empire State Human

SteveJJ wrote:I'm not seeing much dispute over length of suspensions or bans so must have got it about right

Was interesting that WPBSA were pushing for harsher bans but were refused. In fact paragraphs 250-252 seem to dispense with the precedents of Lee, Sutton and Fernandez, saying they did not look to these previous cases in coming to a decision, because the rules were different back then (the way they were written apparently encouraged harsher bans).

253. The WPBSA submitted that we should impose a longer ban than the previous
snooker cases would suggest should be the case, on the basis that the extent of
the wrongdoing evident in the present case demonstrates that the sanctions in
previous cases had proved to be an insufficient deterrent.

254. We do not accept that submission. The present case involved a close-knit group of
Respondent players (including predominantly young professionals) who spoke the
same language and shared a similar culture; the relevant events occurred largely
during the Covid-19 pandemic when they were not able to travel back home to
mainland China and felt isolated in the UK. We do not see in the present case any
evidence of a wider culture of wrongdoing in snooker.

Awkward that the Mark King thing is still on-going, though.

Postby Pink Ball

If you can bring yourself to read through the full report, there's a lot of tragic detail in there.

Zhao Xintong will be back soon compared to most of the others, and I think he deserves that because he's been caught in Yan's crossfire and tried to be a good friend to him. He doesn't deserve to lose his career, and thankfully he won't.

It looks like Yan took leave of his senses during 2022. He will have to pay a massive price for that. He would have been an all-time great, now he won't and he might never play again.

I'd like to hear from anyone who previously thought Liang Wenbo was a great character. He comes across terribly. It says a lot when he almost makes Li Hang look reasonable. Li Hang was not bucking reasonable.

As for the pressure older players put on younger players, I hope they're ashamed of themselves, but I won't hold my breath.

Would a lot of this have happened at all if Covid never happened? I get the impression from the report that the boredom and isolation when they're already dealing with living on the other side of the planet were toxic. Things would definitely still have happened, but I don't think we'd have had a bomb shell like this.

I think it might be the worst day snooker has had since Paul Hunter died. I genuinely feel sad. I'm a hammer but I love the sport just as much as any of you do.

Postby chengdufan

What a bunch of pathetic idiots. Particularly those who have received lifetime bans, but the others too.
And this coming not so long since Yu Delu and Cao Yupeng.

It's very disappointing of course that they are all Chinese, and that there are so many involved. I hope the other Chinese players will not be tarred with the same brush though. Having met and spoken with a number of them, I strongly believe they behave and play with integrity.

Postby mick745

My feeling is just one of sadness, especially about Yan in particular who had the right sort of all round game to be world champion for sure. Very tactically aware/astute for such a young player. Also seemed to be a sensible young fella, the home visit video he did with Rob Walker showed he had bought a modest house with his girlfriend and seemed to be planning for the future.

To have thrown it away like that this is tragic.

Postby McManusFan

I had a quick skim of the report, there's lots of sad detail in there. A lot of them were in a really dire state financially. Hopefully the new guaranteed £20k will stop this happening. I hope WST/WPBSA cam learn from this and take better care of their young international talent.

It is interesting that the WPBSA were pushing for a harsher ban for Zhao, but it was dismissed.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Yan will be back. He’ll be 30

Only 27 when the ban is over. But he has still thrown away some of his best years of course. Prime years.

Prime years aren’t mid 20s these days.

Anyway.

buck Yan.

Postby Womble

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Only 27 when the ban is over. But he has still thrown away some of his best years of course. Prime years.

Anyway.

buck Yan.

buck Yan??? :shock: rofl

Postby Womble

Womble wrote:My inside source (some old guy from my club who knows someone who knows apparently knows someone else) said they will not be announcing the penalties until Q School has finished. Cast iron information. You heard it here first. :chin:

Wow. My inside source (some old guy from my club who knows someone who knows apparently knows someone else) was right on the money. The results came out straight after Q School finished. And I thought he was full of rubbish. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Anyway.

buck Yan.

Yan is particularly disappointing, being that he had a great future ahead of him. Zhao Xintong too, though his ban was far less. Two Triple Crown winners at a young age. Had a golden future ahead of them.

I'm not saying I condone what any of these players did. But at least with somebody who is way down the rankings, not earning any money, falling behind paying the bills, maybe got families to look after etc. It's not an excuse, but you can understand the temptation if they find themselves in a position to try to make a few extra quid through illicit means.

But two successful, young players with such promising futures ahead of them.... It just feels heartbreaking.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:silly sausages.

Saying all I did before, wasn't Zhao's more about no reporting it then actually doing anything himself?

having skimmed the full report, he was aware of match fixing though did try to dissuade yan from going ahead. but did ultimately place bets on behalf of yan, and did not report to the authorities. he also placed bets on snooker matches himself.

interesting that a couple other players like cao and xu were approached and declined. presumably they must have reported to the integrity unit as no charges were brought against them for failure to report.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Saying all I did before, wasn't Zhao's more about no reporting it then actually doing anything himself?

having skimmed the full report, he was aware of match fixing though did try to dissuade yan from going ahead. but did ultimately place bets on behalf of yan, and did not report to the authorities. he also placed bets on snooker matches himself.

interesting that a couple other players like cao and xu were approached and declined. presumably they must have reported to the integrity unit as no charges were brought against them for failure to report.

So, Zhao is hardly innocent then.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

So, Zhao is hardly innocent then.

Indeed, Zhao Xintong is actually very lucky to get away so lightly. The WPBSA may have wanted a longer ban, because there is some doubt as whether he has really learnt his lesson. That's the impression I got when I was in Sheffield.

The whistleblowers were Xu Si, Yuan Sijun and Cao Yupeng. Yuan Sijun's evidence was deemed unreliable, which amused me. I have met him and getting any kind of sense out of him is difficult! Most likely his testimony was full or errors and contradictions.

Postby Pink Ball

He’ll be 27 I think, but it’s not as simple as that. He can keep developing his game, but you can’t develop as quickly without hard match practice. He also won’t be able to practice as hard because he’s going to have to get a job.

Postby RunningSide

Womble wrote:
Womble wrote:My inside source (some old guy from my club who knows someone who knows apparently knows someone else) said they will not be announcing the penalties until Q School has finished. Cast iron information. You heard it here first. :chin:

Wow. My inside source (some old guy from my club who knows someone who knows apparently knows someone else) was right on the money. The results came out straight after Q School finished. And I thought he was full of rubbish. rofl

Should have had a bet on it.

Postby Womble

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The likes of McGill, Lisowski, Wilson and even Zhao Xintong all had significant improvements between 23-28 and Yan is going to miss all that and go backwards. That's if he even bothers to return.

I'm not sure what else he could do, apart from snooker.

Postby RunningSide

Be surprised if Chinese government abandoned players with long bans,probably set up some coaching camp to train promising kids and keep their own game in tune.

Postby Womble

RunningSide wrote:
Womble wrote:

Should have had a bet on it.

Betting is a mug's game. I don't bother with it. A guy I know got £10,000 in debt playing online poker. And that's not even proper betting, really. :chin:

Postby lhpirnie

RunningSide wrote:Be surprised if Chinese government abandoned players with long bans,probably set up some coaching camp to train promising kids and keep their own game in tune.

No, CBSA will mirror the WPBSA bans, which means none of them will be allowed to do any official playing or coaching. I do know that Yan Bingtao had plans to do streaming (i.e. commentating on the Rigour streams). If that works out, they may attract a small revenue.