Post a reply

Re: Five players banned over match-fixing allegations

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:Not much to discuss seeing as they're not revealing much, interesting that this is "following" suspension of Wenbo?

On another not, sort your avatar out.

BUNGKE!

wven

Postby HappyCamper

lu ning, and chang bingyu had qualified for the english open. so looks like last 64 byes for fraser patrick, and elliot slessor.

zhao jianbo, and li hang had qualified for the german masters, and were sue to play jimmy robertson and ali carter.

lu ning is also currently provisional 29th for the world grand prix.

Postby Mr Snooker

Does this mean these players will be replaced with top up's in next week's English open or will Elliot Slessor who was due to play Ching Bingyu and Fraser Patrick who was due to play Lu Ning will receive a walkover into the last 32 of the event.

Postby HappyCamper

Mr Snooker wrote:Does this mean these players will be replaced with top up's in next week's English open or will Elliot Slessor who was due to play Ching Bingyu and Fraser Patrick who was due to play Lu Ning will receive a walkover into the last 32 of the event.

the are last 64, so second round, matches thus would be walk overs.

Postby Mr Snooker

HappyCamper wrote:
Mr Snooker wrote:Does this mean these players will be replaced with top up's in next week's English open or will Elliot Slessor who was due to play Ching Bingyu and Fraser Patrick who was due to play Lu Ning will receive a walkover into the last 32 of the event.

They the are last 64, so second-round, matches thus would be walkovers.

I thought that would be the case with the first round of the English Open and the first two qualifying rounds of the German masters already being played as well.

Postby HappyCamper

Mr Snooker wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

They the are last 64, so second-round, matches thus would be walkovers.

I thought that would be the case with the first round of the English Open and the first two qualifying rounds of the German masters already being played as well.

for the home nations it used to be the whole event took place at the venue, then they could have been replaced. but they changed the format of the home nations opens to have the last 128 as qualifiers (save for the top 16 getting matches held over). so lu, and chang can't be replaced, as they and their opponents had already played their last 128 match.

Postby Wildey

No Replacements if they were Last 128 matches there would be replacements but you cant shoe horned players straight in to the second round.

Postby gninnur karona

Assume, as in the past, we'll learn which matches were fixed when WPBSA announce their verdicts.

Found it strange to discover when Cao Yupeng was suspended that he'd thrown matches against Allister Carter, Stephen Maguire and Stuart Bingham, matches that when he played them I would have considered bankers for his opponents. Reinforced for me the importance of all WPBSA investigations against match-fixing.

Postby Ck147

Cloud Strife wrote:Why are all of the accused Chinese? Is Jason Ferguson suggesting only Chinese players are capable of fixing? This seems like textbook racism to me from World Snooker.

I don’t think it’s racism, I think it’s stupidity.

Postby gninnur karona

motorhead wrote:earnings 2022/2023:
Lu Ning 98.000
Li Hang 65.000
Chang Bingyu 30.000

These are before taxes, correct?

I believe so yes.

But the figures you're quoting are not 2022-23 earnings. In the case of Chang Bingyu the figure is ranking event earnings since the beginning of the 2021-22 season. For Lu Ning and Li Hang roughly speaking they're ranking event earnings over the last two years. And in all three cases they exclude any winnings in ranking events this season that have not been completed.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ck147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Why are all of the accused Chinese? Is Jason Ferguson suggesting only Chinese players are capable of fixing? This seems like textbook racism to me from World Snooker.

Stop defending bigotry and hate. :no:

Postby Raiel

Cloud Strife wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

Stop defending bigotry and hate. :no:

Is Cloud Strife joking or serious. I honestly can't tell. :chin:

Postby lhpirnie

No, it's because it's all part of the same investigation. It's possible some of the offences are related to not informing (as in the Jamie Jones case), rather than direct match-fixing. Alternatively there might also be some organiser from China who's been rumbled.

What would be racist is to imply that all Chinese players are corrupt, as many people are saying on Twitter.

For my part, this is obviously a disappointment, to put it mildly. I have been suspicious about Liang Wenbo for several years, and stopped watching his matches. Of the others, I followed Chang Bingyu for one season, and thought he has great potential, but I've only met him once and have no impression about his character.

It's obviously a huge blow for the global game. If this scandal damages the involvement in snooker by China, then it could be shattering for snooker's long-term future. There aren't enough talented young players from the rest of the world, and Chinese backing was a huge fraction of snooker's finances. A Chinese vs. UK dynamic could have been an exciting narrative in the post-O'Sullivan era. Without all this, the game could just fizzle out...