Post a reply

WST alter the cut-off for the Players Championship

Postby gninnur karona

As stated here WST have decided to advance the cut-off for Players Championship qualification thus excluding Welsh Open results.

Whether the advantages claimed by WST justify the change is a matter of opinion but I find two things striking.

First, it appears to be another example of the WST privileging perceived (but not necessarily real) commercial interests above sporting equity.

Second, professional players deserve better than an amateurish approach to the calendar. Given the lack of change in circumstances why wasn't this cut-off point selected six months ago?

Re: WST alter the cut-off for the Players Championship

Postby Iranu

gninnur karona wrote:First, it appears to be another example of the WST privileging perceived (but not necessarily real) commercial interests above sporting equity.

I don’t think it’s just commercial to be fair to WST.

It’s not good for players to have their participation unknown potentially the night before the tournament starts. That could cause nightmares for travel arrangements, hotel bookings etc. It’s also not good for fans to be unable to know who they’re seeing when they book tickets (although presumably a lot of fans will buy tickets in advance anyway so this wouldn’t make a difference to everyone).

More clarity for fans and players is a genuinely good thing. Although obviously there will be commercial benefits for WST. But then, they’re a commercial body so I don’t see anything wrong with that either.

Postby HappyCamper

It's not ideal to be changing the rules mid season clearly.

But the principle is undoubtedly correct that they should not be going into the Eve of these big events not having had the qualification and match schedule known. It's not good for the fans, it's not good for promotion, and it's not good for the players.

Postby Raiel

HappyCamper wrote:It's not ideal to be changing the rules mid season clearly.

But the principle is undoubtedly correct that they should not be going into the Eve of these big events not having had the qualification and match schedule known. It's not good for the fans, it's not good for promotion, and it's not good for the players.

+1. <ok>