Post a reply

Re: Trump's latest article

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:DJ's at the venue? Stone me.

should get steve davis to spin some of his collection.

Postby SnookerFan

DJs at the venue?

DJs at the bucking venue?

buck me, he could've suggested that
they give everybody at the venue covid, it would be better idea than that.

Postby Iranu

I mean he’s just spitballing right?

I assume by DJs he means at the venue but not in the arena because how would that work? DJ Dan-Cat spinning vinyl for 63 seconds between frames?

I think people are getting too hung up on what was an off-the-cuff example rather than the overall point.

Postby Scooper

I suppose in the WC he played Bingman, Willo and Sully, all 45+. Must feel like a bit of an old boys thing sometimes.

Postby HappyCamper

they already have piped music in the arena in the match build up, and during intervals.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:I mean he’s just spitballing right?

I assume by DJs he means at the venue but not in the arena because how would that work? DJ Dan-Cat spinning vinyl for 63 seconds between frames?

I think people are getting too hung up on what was an off-the-cuff example rather than the overall point.

Yeah he meant at the venue not the arena, but it's still a terrible idea. It's just such a 'not snooker' thing to suggest. If they want to market it more at young people, they need to do it in a way that's consistent with the main event.

They should have a tournament that's exclusively on youtube or something like that - put snooker somewhere young people might actually look, rather than tucked away on Eurosport or channels that mainly show repeats of murder mysteries!

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:I mean he’s just spitballing right?

But what's the point in having them in the foyer?

You're queueing up for a programme, and you got Smashy And Nicey telling you to do it Gangam Style. That's going to be more annoying than anything.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:They should have a tournament that's exclusively on youtube or something like that - put snooker somewhere young people might actually look, rather than tucked away on Eurosport or channels that mainly show repeats of murder mysteries!

This is what I meant about being more visible the other day.

Getting stuff on You Tube is a good idea. Yes, Eurosport is good. But young people barely watch stuff TV channels these days. Getting the show more online is more likely to get young people interested. Not having people doing The Macarena when they turn up to the venue. buck sake, he might as well tell them to have Mr. Tumble there, to appeal to the really, really young.

If your big idea to attract youth is to bring DJs into the foyer, then you're probably not as in tune with the youngsters as you think your are.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:They should have a tournament that's exclusively on youtube or something like that - put snooker somewhere young people might actually look, rather than tucked away on Eurosport or channels that mainly show repeats of murder mysteries!

This is what I meant about being more visible the other day.

Getting stuff on You Tube is a good idea. Yes, Eurosport is good. But young people barely watch stuff TV channels these days. Getting the show more online is more likely to get young people interested. Not having people doing The Macarena when they turn up to the venue. buck sake, he might as well tell them to have Mr. Tumble there, to appeal to the really, really young.

If your big idea to attract youth is to bring DJs into the foyer, then you're probably not as in tune with the youngsters as you think your are.

But like I said, it’s not his “big idea” it was just a random example given in the middle of an interview.

I don’t think he’s suggesting having house music blasting while you’re queuing up, but as something to give a bit more atmosphere in conjunction with his other suggestions of having more for fans to do between matches, making it a more interactive experience.

It seems like some venues are central enough that fans can pop out and do other things in between sessions easily enough whereas others are more isolated. It makes sense to have things in place to make the venue more attractive in those cases, have more to do than just mill around for a couple of hours.

I wouldn’t like the DJ idea myself but then again I’m not a young person that needs attracting to the game. It’s not as bad an idea as changing dress code, leaving the Crucible, or shortening WC matches.

Postby SnookerFan

I really don't see the big deal about changing the dress code. I'd say that was an infinitely better idea than DJs at the venue. But that's just me.

I take your point about having more stuff at the venue, to make visiting more of an experience.

I tend to think you need to do more though. If kids aren't watching snooker, they aren't turning up. You need to attract them first to attend, or they won't know how good the experience around the venue is.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 03 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

Was it during The Masters this year when they played music in between frames? That wouldn't be a bad idea for some tournaments maybe.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Was it during The Masters this year when they played music in between frames? That wouldn't be a bad idea for some tournaments maybe.

They've been playing music at tournaments for years. Like at least five years.

I don't know why everybody acted like that was a big new thing when it arrived at The Masters.

Was it just that it was a bit louder at the Ally Pally.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Was it during The Masters this year when they played music in between frames? That wouldn't be a bad idea for some tournaments maybe.

They've been playing music at tournaments for years. Like at least five years.

I don't know why everybody acted like that was a big new thing when it arrived at The Masters.

Was it just that it was a bit louder at the Ally Pally.

I've never noticed it. Mainly because Eurosport and ITV have adverts between frames.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I've never noticed it. Mainly because Eurosport and ITV have adverts between frames.

That's a point.

I guess some people on here don't watch it on BBC, do they?

Surely you noticed it when you went to the Champion Of Champions though? They must play music there.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I've never noticed it. Mainly because Eurosport and ITV have adverts between frames.

That's a point.

I guess some people on here don't watch it on BBC, do they?

Surely you noticed it when you went to the Champion Of Champions though? They must play music there.

Whenever I went to the Champion of champions they only played music like during the mid session interval etc. I don't recall them every playing music in between frames.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Whenever I went to the Champion of champions they only played music like during the mid session interval etc. I don't recall them every playing music in between frames.

That's so weird.

It was seems to be happening at tournaments I've been to. Obviously, that's at the one table set-ups, not when there's loads of tables. So qualifying is out.

I guess The Masters it's more noticeable, thinking about it. There's only one table all the way through it.

Postby LC

Snooker is an old man’s game in playing terms and spectating, young ppl anyone under 25 i meen aren’t that interested, you might attract a few to it with some flashy lights and music but it wouldn’t be many, they all play pool at my local clubs cos it’s easier the music on full blast and plenty of drink, on the snooker side it’s quiet laid back and that’s how it should be

Postby Juddernaut88

I was into snooker a bit when I was like 4 because of my dad but I was properly into it when I was 13 in terms of following most of the tournaments etc

Postby SnookerFan

I think just that Judd was talking about attracting da yoof, and then Ken weighs in talking about coffee mornings.

Postby HappyCamper

do the youth not like coffee and biccies and a chinwag. wha' the buck.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:do the youth not like coffee and biccies and a chinwag. wha' the buck.

Oh rubbish, there's biscuits?

How do I attend?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

During the Hong Kong Masters Trump tweeted about moving the Tour Championship which he said last season was "a bit sleepy" to Hong Kong. I think he wants to feel like Snooker is breaking new ground and doing things it's never done before.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:During the Hong Kong Masters Trump tweeted about moving the Tour Championship which he said last season was "a bit sleepy" to Hong Kong. I think he wants to feel like Snooker is breaking new ground and doing things it's never done before.

It has been to Hing Kong before.

#pedanticpete
Last edited by SnookerFan on 06 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.