Post a reply

Re: Judd Trump Blasts Ronnie O'Sullivan For Women's Comments

Postby mantorok

I agree with both, I agree with ROS that they should invest more in the woman's game but feel that taking it out of the prize money is a bit rich coming from the biggest earner in the game. Trump is correct because I don't think lower ranked players already struggling will be thrilled at the idea of shaving sums off their current prize money.

Postby SnookerFan

I mean, part of the problem is that there's not loads of money on the main tour either. It's not like snooker is some affluent sport. There's people outside of the top 32 struggling to make a living on their own.

It would be great if it was a simple as being able to take 5% away from the main tour and put it towards the women's tour, but sadly it is not.

Highlighting and promoting the women's game, getting more girls playing, raising the visibility of it with the intent of raising the standard seems to be more where they need to start with this issue. Rome wasn't built in a day, sadly.

Postby Iranu

To be fair to Ronnie, 5% of the prize tour doesn’t necessarily mean 5% of every player’s income. It could be 5% of total but say, 10% of 1st prizes and none from first round (or whatever the maths would be), or divided by thresholds of earnings by player.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ok, so Ronnie should pay the women and when he retires I guess he needs to keep paying them? Judd is an idiot. World Snooker needs to deal with this, not Ronnie.

I'm not sure it's a particularly well thought out plan from either of them, to be fair.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ok, so Ronnie should pay the women and when he retires I guess he needs to keep paying them? Judd is an idiot. World Snooker needs to deal with this, not Ronnie.

What he’s saying is if Ronnie cares that much he should help pay it himself, words are empty and why doesn’t he start the fund himself.

Which realistic or not is a fair point considering Ronnie himself has just blasted WST.

He’s not ACTUALLY suggesting Ronnie pay for it all. He’s basically saying “if you care that much put your money where your mouth is.”

It’s a flippant remark nothing more.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:What he’s saying is if Ronnie cares that much he should help pay it himself, words are empty and why doesn’t he start the fund himself.

Which realistic or not is a fair point considering Ronnie himself has just blasted WST.

He’s not ACTUALLY suggesting Ronnie pay for it all. He’s basically saying “if you care that much put your money where your mouth is.”

I suspect what's really happened is, somebody or other asked Ronnie on how to help the Women's Tour, and Ronnie was like; "Errr.... Give them extra prize money out of the budget." Then they made a whole article out of it. Then they asked Judd, and Judd went; "Paying for that yourself are you, Ronnie?", then they make a second article out of it.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:What he’s saying is if Ronnie cares that much he should help pay it himself, words are empty and why doesn’t he start the fund himself.

I suspect what's really happened is, somebody or other asked Ronnie on how to help the Women's Tour, and Ronnie was like; "Errr.... Give them extra prize money out of the budget." Then they made a whole article out of it. Then they asked Judd, and Judd went; "Paying for that yourself are you, Ronnie?", then they make a second article out of it.

Can’t be a*sed even to bother reading this sort of thing anymore.

How to make a mountain out of a complete non-story.

What have we become?

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:To be fair to Ronnie, 5% of the prize tour doesn’t necessarily mean 5% of every player’s income. It could be 5% of total but say, 10% of 1st prizes and none from first round (or whatever the maths would be), or divided by thresholds of earnings by player.

Yep just about to say the same thing.

The comments Judd made about struggling to make a profit seemed a bit odd. If he's in financial difficulties he must be wasting a lot of his dosh.