Post a reply

Shaun Murphy

Postby SnookerFan

Shaun Murphy has explained why he took the decision to have gastric sleeve surgery, as he hopes to give his career a boost and end the grim fat-shaming he has had to deal with on social media.

The former world champion has always been very open about his struggles with weight and has worked hard on getting himself where he wants to be, but has found himself yo-yoing over the years.

The 40-year-old has moved to put an end to the issue by having the gastric sleeve surgery, which has removed 80 per cent of his stomach and he says makes it almost impossible to put weight back on.

This was a decision made for a number of reasons, partly because he wants to give himself the best chance of success on the snooker table, but also because he is sick of the abuse he has received over his weight.

The Magician has taken the step after a relatively poor season last time around focussed his mind on results, while he admits marital trouble has also kicked him into gear.

‘I’ve had a lot of things going on in my life which contributed to the worst season of my career last season,’ Murphy told Sportsmail. ‘It’s been incredibly tough and one thing I’ve always struggled with is my weight. It was a very big decision to go under the knife, but after a lot of thought I accepted that I was unable to sort my weight problem out. I had the surgery in May and so far I’ve lost about four stone.

‘This last year has been one of the toughest, if not the toughest, of my life. Me and my wife Elaine separated, which has been really hard because we have two children. I started eating a lot more. Like alcohol it’s an addiction, but not one which is spoken about as much.

"Me and Elaine are tentatively trying for a reconciliation, but the breakdown of our marriage and my weight and injury problems obviously made playing snooker really tough. It was secondary to everything else. But I decided to do something about it because I’m sick of being fat-shamed on social media and not feeling good about myself. At this year’s World Championship I didn’t fit into my suit properly and didn’t feel good.

‘The surgery is irreversible, so it really was a huge decision. I get that as a high-profile sportsman you expect to get some stick on social media and face criticism, but some of the personal attacks are really cruel. I’ve had 80 per cent of my stomach removed so now I can eat very little. It’s pretty much impossible for me to ever put weight back on again.’

Murphy has enjoyed a good start to the season since the operation, winning his first Championship League group and narrowly missing out on progress through the second.

He is in action this week at the European Masters, beating Dean Young to qualify and then Zhang Anda in his second round match on Wednesday, looking sharp in the process.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/18/shaun-mu ... -17203880/

Re: Shaun Murphy

Postby TheRocket

80% of his stomach removed? Wtf?

And he shouldnt care too much what some bullies think or say about him. He has achieved much more than they ever could.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:80% of his stomach removed? Wtf?

And he shouldnt care too much what some bullies think or say about him. He has achieved much more than they ever could.

That’s not how self-worth works, unfortunately.

80% seems like a huge number. Surely he hasn’t been eating 4x more food than he should?

Postby HappyCamper

Eighty percent is just standard for a sleeve gastrectomy AFAIK.

It's not the total volume of food that matters but the total energy content. Most people can overeat on energy dense foods without ever getting near full stomach capacity.

Postby Johnny Bravo

He made the right choice, being fat is not ok, it's very bad for your health.
But removing 80% seems a bit much, from what I know doctors usually remove around 50-60%.
As for fat shaming, it can be good and bad at the same time, meaning those who are strong mentally will use as a driving force to get their body in shape, and those who are weak will just sit there, sulk and eat more.

Anyway, losing weight should definitely benefit him, like it did Higgins.

Postby mantorok

Damn I’m not the biggest fan of Murphy but the poor guy is going through a lot of rubbish. I hope he can navigate his way through it all and come out the other side.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wow, just made the conversion and saw that 4 stone means 25 kg. This means he lost a lot, it's impressive, he'll probably look a bit like Willo soon, tall and kinda skinny.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:He looks a bit thinner here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QsUeW8kyPY

If he drops some more weight and gets into good shape, perhaps his wife will come back, assuming that's the reason she left him in the first place..

Considering he’s been overweight basically his whole career, she married him when he was overweight so there’s literally no reason to think that’s why she left him.

But hey, why should I expect you to use logic

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:As for fat shaming, it can be good and bad at the same time, meaning those who are strong mentally will use as a driving force to get their body in shape, and those who are weak will just sit there, sulk and eat more.

Scientifically incorrect. Fat shaming is shown to have a negative effect on its victims and drive further weight gain.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:As for fat shaming, it can be good and bad at the same time, meaning those who are strong mentally will use as a driving force to get their body in shape, and those who are weak will just sit there, sulk and eat more.

Scientifically incorrect. Fat shaming is shown to have a negative effect on its victims and drive further weight gain.

Haven't you ever heard of negative motivation, as in someone criticizing you for something and you using that as fuel to improve in that department and prove the guy wrong ?!?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Fat-shaming is unacceptable unless done against my sister in law, who is simply far too fat.

Meaning she's obese :chuckle:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:He looks a bit thinner here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QsUeW8kyPY

If he drops some more weight and gets into good shape, perhaps his wife will come back, assuming that's the reason she left him in the first place..

Considering he’s been overweight basically his whole career, she married him when he was overweight so there’s literally no reason to think that’s why she left him.

But hey, why should I expect you to use logic

He was fat when she married him, but not that fat. As he said and you should know, his weight fluctuated throughout his career. From what I can remember, he wasn't as his fattest when he got married.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Haven't you ever heard of negative motivation, as in someone criticizing you for something and you using that as fuel to improve in that department and prove the guy wrong ?!?

What part of “scientifically incorrect” is confusing you?

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:He was fat when she married him, but not that fat. As he said and you should know, his weight fluctuated throughout his career. From what I can remember, he wasn't as his fattest when he got married.

Yes his weight has fluctuated. I don’t know his weight when they married.

Do you really think his wife would leave him because he’s a bit fatter than he was when they met, despite his weight going up and down over the course of their marriage to that point?

Really?

Postby mantorok

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

That’s not the norm in reality, the decision to lose the weight is done solely for the benefit of the person who feels they are overweight, they aren’t going to do it just to “prove someone wrong”.

Postby SnookerEd25

F*** me, Johnny Bravo. You really don’t get ANYTHING do you?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:Wow, just made the conversion and saw that 4 stone means 25 kg. This means he lost a lot, it's impressive, he'll probably look a bit like Willo soon, tall and kinda skinny.

Too bad you can never grow to the height of a man. You will always be small. Probably why you're so insecure. :sad:

Postby SnookerFan

I feel somewhat bad here. In the sense that when I was posting this, my first thought was that Johnny Bravo would probably post something stupid. But then I can't really be held accountable here.

Of course he should brush this off and not care what others think. But when is life that easy? And this won't one or two cretins that he can just ignore and be on with it. This will be many times daily, from many different people. Even the most thick-skinned of us would find that difficult to deal with. Especially when you're going through other stuff.

I think it's good Murphy spoke about this. It's important that people talk about mental health issues these days. Men in particular often feel that they can't talk about their feelings.

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:I feel somewhat bad here. In the sense that when I was posting this, my first thought was that Johnny Bravo would probably post something stupid. But then I can't really be held accountable here.

Of course he should brush this off and not care what others think. But when is life that easy? And this won't one or two cretins that he can just ignore and be on with it. This will be many times daily, from many different people. Even the most thick-skinned of us would find that difficult to deal with. Especially when you're going through other stuff.

I think it's good Murphy spoke about this. It's important that people talk about mental health issues these days. Men in particular often feel that they can't talk about their feelings.

Don't feel bad. Its an important subject and there shouldn't be a stigma about talking about it, regardless of the odd ignorant post/poster

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerEd25 wrote:F*** me, Johnny Bravo. You really don’t get ANYTHING do you?

Unlike you liberals, I ain't sensible and weak. You need to grow a pair and become more ruthless.
So what if someone shames or insults you ?!?
Put the stupid feelings aside and see if the person who said something (you consider offensive) is actually right or wrong. If he is, try to improve. If he isn't, tell him to go buck himself.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 19 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Wow, just made the conversion and saw that 4 stone means 25 kg. This means he lost a lot, it's impressive, he'll probably look a bit like Willo soon, tall and kinda skinny.

Too bad you can never grow to the height of a man. You will always be small. Probably why you're so insecure. :sad:

https://youtu.be/eI2dz1Sm7CY

I ain't insecure one bit. If I were, I'd be acting the way you liberals do, whinning and being weak.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:Unlike you liberals, I ain't sensible

Never a truer word

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:I feel somewhat bad here. In the sense that when I was posting this, my first thought was that Johnny Bravo would probably post something stupid. But then I can't really be held accountable here.

Pussies and weak people whine, real men shrug it off.
Men need to be tough, not weak.
This is the problem with westersn society nowadays, men have gotten soft and weak, we are witnessing the pussyfication of men.
A society with weak men is a decaying society.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Unlike you liberals, I ain't sensible and weak. You need to grow a pair and become more ruthless.
Put the stupid feelings aside and see if the person who said something (you consider offensive) is actually right or wrong. If he is, try to improve. If he isn't, tell him to go buck himself.

Okay then. Go buck yourself.

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Unlike you liberals, I ain't sensible

Never a truer word

pmsl

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Okay then. Go buck yourself.

Good Pinkey, your balls have started to grow.
I'm proud of you.

Postby Iranu

Nothing says “real man” like constantly talking about how tough you are.