Post a reply

milkman and selt on the naughty step

Postby HappyCamper

milkins for getting snake hissed as a fart in türkiye, and selt for being foul and abusive on social media. both given fines.

https://wpbsa.com/wpbsa-statement-robert-milkins/

At a WPBSA Disciplinary Committee hearing before an independent tribunal on 9th June 2022, Robert Milkins accepted that he had breached the WPBSA Rules and his World Snooker Limited (WSL) Players Contract:

The facts of the case are that on Sunday 6th March 2022 after the opening ceremony for the inaugural 2022 Nirvana Turkish Masters, Milkins was very drunk and was involved in an altercation with guests at the Players Ceremony, attended by a number of high-profile dignitaries and event partners. He later fell and split his chin in the toilets and was taken to hospital where he had his stomach pumped.

This was damaging to the reputation of World Snooker and his behaviour was unacceptable. It was found to be a breach of the WPBSA Members Rules and his WSL Players Contract in that this amounted to conduct unbecoming a sportsperson and brought the sport into disrepute.

At the hearing Milkins apologised for his actions having demonstrated significant remorse for the incident and confirmed that he had made personal apologies to both event partners and dignitaries.

On 4th July 2022, the sanction imposed on Milkins by the Disciplinary Committee was:

1. To pay a fine of £6,000; and
2. To pay the costs of the Hearing fixed at £1,000

The WPBSA Members Rules

1.1 Members shall, at all times (i.e. whether at a Tournament or not), behave in a proper and correct manner consistent with their status as professional sportsmen.

1.3 A Member shall not make or cause to be made any statement or commit or cause to be committed any act which in the reasonable view of the WPBSA is likely to bring into disrepute the games of snooker and/or billiards.

WSL Players Contract

3.5.1 Behave in a professional and reputable manner befitting a professional sportsperson.

3.1.6 Not to do anything that may damage the reputation and goodwill of the Snooker Parties and the Partners.

https://wpbsa.com/wpbsa-statement-matthew-selt-2/

At a WPBSA Disciplinary Committee hearing before an independent tribunal on 9th June 2022, Matthew Selt accepted that he had breached the WPBSA Rules and his players contract:

The allegation was that the Player had sent private messages in April 2022 to a member of the public that were considered to be abusive, insulting, upsetting and disrespectful. The messages were subsequently put into the public domain and then published in the media where they attracted adverse comment. The content of the messages were considered to be a breach of the WPBSA Members Rules and his World Snooker Limited Players Contract in that this amounted to conduct unbecoming a sportsperson and brought the sport into disrepute.

At the hearing Selt was deeply apologetic and regretted his actions.

On 14th June 2022, the sanction imposed on Selt was:

1. To pay a fine of £2,000; and
2. Be warned as to his future conduct to ensure no similar breaches occurred in the future; and
3. To pay the costs of the Hearing fixed at £1,000

The WPBSA Members Rules

1.1 Members shall, at all times (i.e. whether at a Tournament or not), behave in a proper and correct manner consistent with their status as professional sportsmen.

1.3 A Member shall not make or cause to be made any statement or commit or cause to be committed any act which in the reasonable view of the WPBSA is likely to bring into disrepute the games of snooker and/or billiards.

WSL Players Contract

3.5.1 Behave in a professional and reputable manner befitting a professional sportsperson.

3.1.10 Treat all Snooker Parties, the public and any other people associated with WSL Events with respect and not communicate or behave in an abusive, insulting, disrespectful, racist, sexist, homophobic, intimidating, threatening or violent manner.

Re: milkman and selt on the naughty step

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:Yet Liang is a stand up guy.

I mean, that's stupid.

Milkins got a much bigger fine for getting snake hissed and being silly, than Liang did for battering a woman half to death.

I'm not saying don't punish Milkins at all. But come on. Punishment to fit the crime.

Postby Iranu

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Milkman’s fine to be honest. If i did something like that had a work function with guests and partners there I’m sure there’d be serious consequences.

Selt’s fine should be way higher and Liang’s suspension shouldn’t just largely cover the off-season.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Milkman’s fine to be honest. If i did something like that had a work function with guests and partners there I’m sure there’d be serious consequences.

Selt’s fine should be way higher and Liang’s suspension shouldn’t just largely cover the off-season.

It's not so much that he got fined.

As you say, there was a bit more to it than he just got drunk. It wasn't like it was on his own time.

It's more that people feel Liang got off leniently. Which he did.

But, I guess, there's no point comparing the two cases.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Milkman’s fine to be honest. If i did something like that had a work function with guests and partners there I’m sure there’d be serious consequences.

It's not so much that he got fined.

As you say, there was a bit more to it than he just got drunk. It wasn't like it was on his own time.

It's more that people feel Liang got off leniently. Which he did.

But, I guess, there's no point comparing the two cases.

Nah I agree,

Phil Haigh tweeted that the punishment was harsh. Which is bullocks. The problem is other things are treated so leniently that it looks harsh by comparison.

Postby HappyCamper

LC wrote:Can’t see a thread, what has mark king done, saw some of his apology video, something about emoji’s lol

seems he replied to a tweet from neal foulds about the possibility of a women player making a competitive max break with a series of laughing crying emojis.

https://twitter.com/markking147/status/1548644692593713154?cxt=HHwWhIC9lZKJ8v0qAAAA

he felt this was a bit disrespectful so he decided to apologise.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
LC wrote:Can’t see a thread, what has mark king done, saw some of his apology video, something about emoji’s lol

seems he replied to a tweet from neal foulds about the possibility of a women player making a competitive max break with a series of laughing crying emojis.

https://twitter.com/markking147/status/1548644692593713154?cxt=HHwWhIC9lZKJ8v0qAAAA

he felt this was a bit disrespectful so he decided to apologise.

Yeah, he doubled down initially but seems to have realised that the emojis themselves were disrespectful rather than the opinion (which is totally legitimate.)

Also sounds like he’s been struggling mentally for a few weeks and the tweet was a symptom of that so hopefully he can get himself back in track.