Post a reply

Full Provisional 2022-23 Calendar Announced

Postby gninnur karona

The Calendar as is.

Of note in a calendar with only three overseas ranking events (if none are switched to Milton Keynes) a strong emphasis on elongating all British events by increasing the number of weeks allocated to qualifiers.

No mention of Saudi Arabia.

Gibraltar Open axed.

No return for the Indian Open or Riga Masters.

China remains closed.

The cut-off for qualifying for the Masters has been advanced to before both the English Open and Scottish Open.

Re: Full Provisional 2022-23 Calendar Announced

Postby SnookerFan

China was always a lot stricter on Covid rules than some of the countries. In a lot of countries, where basically it seems to have been decided that we're going to pretend that it's not happening any more. But it's possible that China doesn't feel comfortable enough to host the tournaments yet. Hopefully we'll see the Chinese tournaments back in the next couple of seasons.

The Gibraltar or Riga are hardly sad losses. They were just glorified PTCs. With the fact that they were played overseas as pretty much the only benefit to them. (And you can argue that Gibraltar is a British territory anyway.) India is a bit of a shame that it no longer exists, but again purely because it's in India. It was hardly a must-watch tournament, was it? Again, too many short matches. Really, what we want to do is make more full length tournaments overseas. Which is what they're dong with the likes of Turkey, the European Masters and Germany. They always look better on TV than the China ones do too, due to more fans being there.

And the Saudi Arabia thing. That was seen as so controversial, that I don't suppose many people will mourn it never happening. As a business, of course snooker should chase the money. But isn't PR also important? You have to weigh how much money you'd get vs how much the negative PR affects your business also.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 03 Mar 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:And the Saudi Arabia thing. That was seen as so controversial, that I don't suppose many people will mourn it never happening. As a business, of course snooker should chase the money. But isn't PR also important? You have to weigh how much money you'd get vs how much the negative PR affects your business also.

If the PR outweighed the money they wouldn’t be doing it. Golf, football, even WWE - all have shown that the pay is worth the controversy.

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:Haven’t China basically written off the next five years? Or did I imagine that?

There was a report in the Chinese press that said we'd have the zero covid policy for at least the next 5 years. It was quickly taken down.

It is possible to stage international events here. We showed that with the Winter Olympics. It relies on the players being willing to go through quarantine and all the testing, and someone being willing to stump up the extortionatly high flight costs.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:And the Saudi Arabia thing. That was seen as so controversial, that I don't suppose many people will mourn it never happening. As a business, of course snooker should chase the money. But isn't PR also important? You have to weigh how much money you'd get vs how much the negative PR affects your business also.

If the PR outweighed the money they wouldn’t be doing it. Golf, football, even WWE - all have shown that the pay is worth the controversy.

Yes, I suspect that Saudi Arabia will pay handsomely. Which will overturn any ethics, or worry about the bad PR.

Point is, I can't suspect many people will worry about missing out on it. Except maybe the players. <laugh>

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Yes, I suspect that Saudi Arabia will pay handsomely. Which will overturn any ethics, or worry about the bad PR.

Point is, I can't suspect many people will worry about missing out on it. Except maybe the players. <laugh>

Wasn’t the top prize gonna be £500k, same as the Worlds?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Wasn’t the top prize gonna be £500k, same as the Worlds?

buck knows.

Probably.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The Chinese events were already being listed in the former events category on wikipedia alongside the likes of the Mercantile Classic when I looked a couple of months ago. I can't see them coming back the way they were in 2019 if at all.

Postby csprince

in answer to a couple of previous comments from iranu and snookerfan the first prize at the saudi arabia was £500000 and gilbrater and riga started as ptc's and were promoted to full ranking event.

Postby Acé

best to move away from China and expand to other European countries

isn't snooker semi-decent in countries like France, Spain, Italy etc? if you can get tournaments in Germany and Turkey surely you can get them in "household" european countries

i've seen quiet a few spanish snooker fans on social media

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:best to move away from China and expand to other European countries

isn't snooker semi-decent in countries like France, Spain, Italy etc? if you can get tournaments in Germany and Turkey surely you can get them in "household" european countries

i've seen quiet a few spanish snooker fans on social media

The thing with China is, it brings in a lot of money in despite nobody actually going.

The TV companies make a lot of money putting it on TV, as so many tens of thousands of people watch in China, so getting it on their time zone is a big deal in terms of viewing figures.

Most countries aren't as populous as China, so can't match those viewings figures, so TV companies aren't as willing to stump up the cash. So countries like Germany, aren't putting the money in despite the bigger crowds there looking better on telly. And don't forget Germany is only an hour different from the UK, so televising it on their time zone isn't a thing that really needs worrying about.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:China was always a lot stricter on Covid rules than some of the countries. In a lot of countries, we've basically it seems to have been decided that we're going to pretend that it's not happening any more. But it's possible that China doesn't feel comfortable enough to host the tournaments yet. Hopefully we'll see the Chinese tournaments back in the next couple of seasons.

The Gibraltar or Riga are hardly sad losses. They were just glorified PTCs. With the fact that they were played overseas as pretty much the only benefit to them. (And you can argue that Gibraltar is a British territory anyway.) India is a bit of a shame that it no longer exists, but again purely because it's in India. It was hardly a must-watch tournament, was it? Again, too many short matches. Really, what we want to do is make more full length tournaments overseas. Which is what they're dong with the likes of Turkey, the European Masters and Germany. They always look better on TV than the China ones do too, due to more fans being there.

And the Saudi Arabia thing. That was seen as so controversial, that I don't suppose many people will mourn it never happening. As a business, of course snooker should chase the money. But isn't PR also important? You have to weigh how much money you'd get vs how much the negative PR affects your business also.

There is a difference Between Covid and a Pandemic.

The Pandemic is over Covid will never be over its here to stay unfortunately China taking time catching on to that fact.

This Winter the NHS is actually more concerned with the Flu than Covid.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:At least we have the Championship League.

Wooooh! Yeah!

yeah. Hopefully they will add 3 more Championshit leagues to the Calendar to fill slots.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:China was always a lot stricter on Covid rules than some of the countries. In a lot of countries, we've basically it seems to have been decided that we're going to pretend that it's not happening any more. But it's possible that China doesn't feel comfortable enough to host the tournaments yet. Hopefully we'll see the Chinese tournaments back in the next couple of seasons.

There is a difference Between Covid and a Pandemic.

The Pandemic is over Covid will never be over its here to stay unfortunately China taking time catching on to that fact.

This Winter the NHS is actually more concerned with the Flu than Covid.

The was a tournament in China a weeka ago! But the quarantine rules are the problem. The professionals who returned to China in the summer all faced a 2-week isolation in a hotel, followed by another week at home. For that reason, most of them didn't return at all, and some that did took an extra month break.

Postby Juddernaut88

Does anyone else feel that the Snooker calendar certainly for the first half of the season is getting worse? It was at it's complete prime during 2016-2017- 2019-2020. I know we are missing the China tournaments which is a huge blow but championship league being so long plus pointless qualifiers for the home nation events really ruins the first half of the season for me personally. I know the qualifiers for home nations was introduced last season.

World Snooker easily could have had a few other tournaments in place of the home nation qualifiers and I know I moan about this constantly and I sound like a broken record but there is no need for 2 Championship leagues in a season. It was understandable in 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 but last season and this season there was no need for it at all! I'd be pretty content having tournaments such as Paul Hunter classic, Riga Masters back, maybe even an Australian Masters to replace the home nation qualifiers.

I also think that maybe the World Open could be played in the UK for the time being (It was initially a UK tournament and then changed to China in 2012 I believe) International Championship could also be played anywhere as well potentially.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Does anyone else feel that the Snooker calendar certainly for the first half of the season is getting worse? It was at it's complete prime during 2016-2017- 2019-2020. I know we are missing the China tournaments which is a huge blow but championship league being so long plus pointless qualifiers for the home nation events really ruins the first half of the season for me personally. I know the qualifiers for home nations was introduced last season.

World Snooker easily could have had a few other tournaments in place of the home nation qualifiers and I know I moan about this constantly and I sound like a broken record but there is no need for 2 Championship leagues in a season. It was understandable in 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 but last season and this season there was no need for it at all! I'd be pretty content having tournaments such as Paul Hunter classic, Riga Masters back, maybe even an Australian Masters to replace the home nation qualifiers.

I also think that maybe the World Open could be played in the UK for the time being (It was initially a UK tournament and then changed to China in 2012 I believe) International Championship could also be played anywhere as well potentially.

:goodpost:

Postby Wildey

Snooker Season doesn't start until September, But when China was involved and Australia they could do something.

Many Players complained constantly about the PTC Series i guess the irony is you dont know what you have until its taken away.

Many on here believe its easy to relocate a event from China put it on and get Broadcaster and Funding for it.

That is exactly how the British Open was conceived but it could not be the World Open the Contract for that belongs with China.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Snooker Season doesn't start until September

The European Masters is on next week.

so everything prior to september is a bonus