Post a reply

Re: Selby and Trump receive MBE

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/an-absolute-honour-judd-trump-and-mark-selby-handed-mbes-in-queens-2022-birthday-honours-list_sto8968786/story.shtml

Discuss.

at least its not Murphy or Selt

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/an-absolute-honour-judd-trump-and-mark-selby-handed-mbes-in-queens-2022-birthday-honours-list_sto8968786/story.shtml

Discuss.

No. :hmmm:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Discuss.

No. :hmmm:

Good discussion.

Postby Juddernaut88

Pink Ball wrote:Just watched the Eastenders jubilee special and I can only conclude that the UK is a deeply normal country.

It was a very poor episode.

Postby Wildey

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Just watched the Eastenders jubilee special and I can only conclude that the UK is a deeply normal country.

It was a very poor episode.

That is Normal

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

It is fictional I believe.

Haven’t watched Eastenders since Den did the dirty on Angie, but seeing Charlie and Camilla in Walford bought a tear to my eye this evening, so too did Danny Dyers rousing speech. God save the Queen.

Postby SnookerArcher

At least Selby got something good out of this season, an MBE should uplift him out of his depression a bit.
Trump that's quite the honour and maybe softens the blow of losing the world final. (Though he said he had no expectations going in anyway)

Postby Wildey

SnookerArcher wrote:At least Selby got something good out of this season, an MBE should uplift him out of his depression a bit.
Trump that's quite the honour and maybe softens the blow of losing the world final. (Though he said he had no expectations going in anyway)

Depression doesn't work like that things doesn't make it better

Postby mantorok

SnookerArcher wrote:At least Selby got something good out of this season, an MBE should uplift him out of his depression a bit.

Yeah, because I’m sure the root of his depression was not enough awards….

Postby SnookerArcher

True but he's been very successful at least, lots of depressed people achieve nothing but I know when one's not of sound mind it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture, shouldn't be a contest but if we look at the most high profile snooker players who suffer from depression, Ronnie the obvious one he's the GOAT albeit his relationship with snooker's the most ambivalent & he cannot grind the tour the way other players can or at least he can only do it in stretches & has issues travelling (Afraid of heights), Mark Allen hats off to him for being a Masters champion but he's underachieved thus far, certainly in the worlds.

I know very little about Selby's background, there was a time I thought he'd be the last person with issues as he seems so immovable certainly on the table but he opened up about his father's untimely death and he felt suicidal at the time.... Maybe the effort to be world no.1 for so much of the Hearn era took a major toll on him, I figured he's exhausted & with how he was more than anything relieved to lose his world title defence....

Complex stuff, also he'll be the big 40 in a year... Alas if depression was so easy to cure and rationalise there wouldn't be many long term sufferers. Ronnie says it will always be an ongoing problem, even on winning the 7th world title he said he always feels he's not good enough, always been like that since childhood...

Postby SnookerArcher

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hopefully receiving this award will help Mark to pull himself together.

Come on Mark! <ok>

Right am sure his dad & Willie Thorne would be proud. I'd have thought getting his 4th WC after the painful loss of 2020's SF decider would have been huge for him as would becoming no.1 again but if anything it burdened him this season it seems. Maybe if he has more fun with the tour and plays a more relaxed way he'd enjoy it more, maybe winning less in the process but if he wants to extend his career personal happiness is important.