Post a reply

Re: Liang Sentenced For Assaulting a Woman

Postby SteveJJ

SteveJJ wrote:Disgusting. Lenient sentence too.

Assume immediate suspension from the game before disciplinary action will be announced soon

Although if i read that right he pleaded guilty last month so has been allowed to enter tournaments since? Am i reading that wrong?

Postby mick745

It is bad but he has been punished by the law of the land. If you are stripping him of his livelihood then that is an additional punishment.

None of us were at the trial so we dont know the full circumstances.

Are you saying that any snooker player who breaks the law should be banned from playing snooker?

I'm not defending him, he's done wrong, but punishments have to be proportional.

What if it was a man he assaulted? Same crime, same punishment? What if he was in a drunken brawl? what if he slapped someone for making fun of his bald gf? Should he be banned then?

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:Are you saying that any snooker player who breaks the law should be banned from playing snooker?

I don’t think anybody is saying that. Different crimes have different levels of severity, let alone morality.

Let me ask you a question: do you think assaulting someone (including repeatedly throwing punches) is more or less morally wrong than agreeing to fix the outcome of a sporting event?

mick745 wrote:I'm not defending him, he's done wrong, but punishments have to be proportional.

Based on what’s known to have occurred, do you think the punishment given has been proportional?

mick745 wrote:What if it was a man he assaulted? Same crime, same punishment? What if he was in a drunken brawl? what if he slapped someone for making fun of his bald gf? Should he be banned then?

None of these questions are really relevant because they didn’t happen but in my opinion:

- Yes
- It depends on the context of the brawl
- No

This incident aside, people in public-facing roles face punishment from their employers all the time for things that bring the organisation into disrepute. It’s normal and to be expected. Sometimes the bigger picture matters.

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:It is bad but he has been punished by the law of the land. If you are stripping him of his livelihood then that is an additional punishment.

None of us were at the trial so we dont know the full circumstances.

Are you saying that any snooker player who breaks the law should be banned from playing snooker?

I'm not defending him, he's done wrong, but punishments have to be proportional.

What if it was a man he assaulted? Same crime, same punishment? What if he was in a drunken brawl? what if he slapped someone for making fun of his bald gf? Should he be banned then?

People do lose their livelihoods for committing a crime unrelated to their day job.

I suspect hes guilty of bringing the game into disrepute which will be a breach of the contract he's signed to play on the tour, if not anything else. I would say that, whatever the gender of the person assaulted, especially as he isn't contesting the verdict.

It doesnt sound like it was a two way physical fight and so I'm not sure whataboutery is needed likening it to other different situations

Postby mick745

The question for me is it bringing the game into disrepute? And if yes, does what he did warrant a lifetime ban?

Ronnie O'Sullivan assaulted a tournament official during the world championship. No ban.

Alex Higgins also assaulted an official at the world championship. This was the latest in a string of misdemeanors. Banned for one year. Higgins was also alledgedly a wife beater, apparently hitting his wife with a hair dryer.

Both clearly brought the game into disrepute.

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:The question for me is it bringing the game into disrepute? And if yes, does what he did warrant a lifetime ban?

Ronnie O'Sullivan assaulted a tournament official during the world championship. No ban.

Alex Higgins also assaulted an official at the world championship. This was the latest in a string of misdemeanors. Banned for one year. Higgins was also alledgedly a wife beater, apparently hitting his wife with a hair dryer.

Both clearly brought the game into disrepute.

I mean I’d appreciate you answering my questions directly but just to address this post:

Does it bring the game into disrepute? Undoubtedly. Having a (relatively) top snooker player plastered over news sites for assaulting a woman by its nature reflects negatively on the game as a whole.

A lifetime ban? That’s a big question and I’m not sure. A lengthy ban at the least seems appropriate though and I struggle to see any strong argument against it.

What Ronnie did probably should have brought more punishment than it did. Alex being “allegedly” violent towards his wife is vastly different to it being proven in a court of law.

The incidents with officials are notably different to the Liang case in that they occurred ‘within the confines’ of the sport and not with a member of the public. Were criminal charges filed for either? I’m not sure on that. Regardless, I still don’t see the value of comparing this incident to those of the past - it should be judged on its own merits.

Postby mick745

Liang has broken the law. But the severity of the crime (in the eyes of the court) does not warrant a prison sentence.

Whether we agree with the punishment given is irrelevant. I wasnt handing out the appropriate punishment based on all the evidence heard and my legal knowledge. All i've seen is the news report.

The adverse publicity is bad for the sport and would warrant an investigation and possible further punishment from world snooker.

But a lifetime ban?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I found him entertaining even though I knew he was a bit shady. Obviously not anymore. I was also a big fan of the darts player Ted Hankey and look how that has turned out.

Postby chengdufan

What a loser. There can be no excuse for what he's done.

The lightness of the punishment suggests there were some mitigating circumstances, but whatever provoked him cannot be a defense. It's clear from the article that physically he was the aggresor and it wasn't a case of him defending himself.
What is a 'community order' by the way? It's not a term I've come across.

It will be interesting to see what the WST response is. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't have something prepared to post on their website as soon as the verdict was announced. Surely they must have been aware of the incident? If they weren't aware, it will go much worse for Liang snooker-wise.

I can see Mick's point that people should not be doubly punished for their crimes. However, as others have pointed out, it is standard practice for employers and/or sports governing bodies to punish their employees/players if they bring their employer/sport into disrepute through criminal action.
In this case, the reputation of snooker is clearly damaged and this aspect of his crime has not been considered by the criminal court. It therefore needs to be assessed separately.
I will be stunned if he isn't banned from playing snooker for a significant period of time, particularly with his standing as a veteran and high-level player instantly recognisable to the global snooker audience.

Postby CaldoTheKid

It will be interesting to see what the WST response is. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't have something prepared to post on their website as soon as the verdict was announced. Surely they must have been aware of the incident? If they weren't aware, it will go much worse for Liang snooker-wise.

As I understand WST didn't know about it. Even if they did they probably wanted to wait until the verdict remember two women claimed Quinten Hann sexually assaulted them, case goes to court where it turned out women sold the stories to the papers despite claiming otherwise and lied about other stuff. So had been banned or fined and then he's innocent, then they risk a lawsuit.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:What a loser. There can be no excuse for what he's done.

The lightness of the punishment suggests there were some mitigating circumstances, but whatever provoked him cannot be a defense. It's clear from the article that physically he was the aggresor and it wasn't a case of him defending himself.

I can see Mick's point that people should not be doubly punished for their crimes. However, as others have pointed out, it is standard practice for employers and/or sports governing bodies to punish their employees/players if they bring their employer/sport into disrepute through criminal action.
In this case, the reputation of snooker is clearly damaged and this aspect of his crime has not been considered by the criminal court. It therefore needs to be assessed separately.
I will be stunned if he isn't banned from playing snooker for a significant period of time, particularly with his standing as a veteran and high-level player instantly recognisable to the global snooker audience.

Sadly, the WST having nothing prepared is the least surprising part of this. They barely know they have a website at the best of times.

The punishment is obviously too lenient. With all the news in the last year or so about how unsafe women still feel out in public, especially at night, the lack of proper punishment here demonstrates exactly why. Liang has done something unforgivable here and his lack of punishment is almost as unforgivable. It let's everybody down. Women in particular.

I wouldn't complain if Liang was given a ban from playing.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 24 May 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Yanfan

Had anyone heard of this before now?

This is the first I've heard of it.

Whatever the circumstances, though. Unless it's in self defence, men should not be punching or slapping women.

I did not think Liang had something like that in him.

Postby Pink Ball

Think WST have most if not all options available to them.

I can see Mick’s point, but at the same time I think WST are surely entitled to take action if they so wish. If this doesn’t fall under the remit of bringing the game into disrepute, what does?

If it’s true that WST knew nothing about this, I think it’s very likely they will try to go as heavy as they can on Liang.

Postby mick745

I am uncomfortable with the modern trend of trial by media, this gets in the news then suddenly everybody's an expert on the case and wants to throw the book at them followed by knee jerk reactions by governing bodies.

The wst are entitled to investigate but they need to establish the circumstances and not just decide upon a punishment using third hand accounts and media/social media condemnations.

Postby chengdufan

There doesn't seem to have been any trial by media. It wasn't mentioned in the press until the conclusion of the criminal court case, in which he was found guilty (which is how he pled) and sentenced.

Postby SteveJJ

chengdufan wrote:There doesn't seem to have been any trial by media. It wasn't mentioned in the press until the conclusion of the criminal court case, in which he was found guilty (which is how he pled) and sentenced.

Exactly this. There was no trial by media in this case as no one seemed to know about it until after the guilty plea and the sentencing. Its kind of amazing that it got this far without being reported on, even within snooker circles.

The wider aspect is that it isn't a good look at a time when the sport is trying to encourage more female participation in the game, either by playing, officiating or turning up to watch.

A ban should be at least the length of the community order but will likely be more

Postby SteveJJ

chengdufan wrote:What a loser. There can be no excuse for what he's done.

If an offender is found guilty of a crime that does not meet the threshold for a custodial sentence, a judge or a magistrate can pass a community order (also known as a community sentence).

When a community order (CO) is passed, the offence must be considered ‘serious enough’ to justify the imposition of a community order; otherwise a lesser penalty (such as a fine or a conditional / absolute discharge) is likely to be imposed.

He may have to attend probation meetings, may do unpaid work etc. Probably won't have a curfew or wear a tag. May be banned from a geographic area...ie where the victim lives.

Idea is to turn around the offenders behaviour so they don't reoffend

Postby mick745

When i was saying trial by media i was meaning the snooker ban length, my argument is that any action taken needs to be fair and proportionate not just a pile on by people in the media or on social media, plenty of whom seem to be calling for a lifetime's ban.

The lad has done wrong. WST now need to follow a fair and due process not just bow to people's demands. If i did something wrong i would expect my employer to do the same and look at all the circumstances.

If say a custodial sentence had been passed then he wouldnt have been able to play anyway and his tour card would have to be cancelled. The courts did not deem this severe enough to pass such a sentence though.

Postby SnookerFan

Yanfan wrote:Had anyone heard of this before now?

This is the first I've heard of it.

Whatever the circumstances, though. Unless it's in self defence, men should not be punching or slapping women.

I did not think Liang had something like that in him.

It clearly wasn't self defence, he had her up by a wall and was dragging her around.

Postby Prop

mick745 wrote:When i was saying trial by media i was meaning the snooker ban length, my argument is that any action taken needs to be fair and proportionate not just a pile on by people in the media or on social media, plenty of whom seem to be calling for a lifetime's ban.

The lad has done wrong. WST now need to follow a fair and due process not just bow to people's demands. If i did something wrong i would expect my employer to do the same and look at all the circumstances.

If say a custodial sentence had been passed then he wouldnt have been able to play anyway and his tour card would have to be cancelled. The courts did not deem this severe enough to pass such a sentence though.

And we all know how strict the UK justice system is. The bucker should be behind bars.