Post a reply

Provisional Calendar for first half of 2022/23 season

Postby Minimum Break

https://wst.tv/wst-calendar-for-remaind ... announced/

Has been released and it's as underwhelming as expected. Late June and July filled with Championship League, 6 days of Qualifiers for the British Open so it must be the exact same format as the Home Nations events now.

I think the Potential Invitation Event in September may be the Shanghai Masters. But I thought there was talk of the World Cup returning so maybe it's that instead.

Re: Provisional Calendar for first half of 2022/23 season

Postby chengdufan

There won't be any China events unless the players agree to the quarantine regulations. It's at least two weeks confined to a hotel (at your own expense) with multiple negative nats required. There won't be any changes to this for the foreseeable future, and certainly not in this calendar year.
Worth noting too that China-UK flights are prohibitively expensive.

Postby chengdufan

Personally, I think the players should agree to come over as long as their expenses are paid and they are guaranteed at least 2 matches, but I think the chance is close to zero.

What they should do is hold China timezone events, which could be held anywhere.

Postby GeF

McManusFan wrote:I'm surprised they've moved the UK earlier because of the football. Didn't realise any of the players were also professional footballers.

Maguire can't play for Man Utd and snooker at the same time.

Postby Juddernaut88

It's irritating there are no China events yet again. Also an absoloute joke we have to have 2 championship leagues for the 4th season in a row. There is just no need to have 2! They could have had a Paul Hunter Classic and Riga Masters in June and July instead.

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:Personally, I think the players should agree to come over as long as their expenses are paid and they are guaranteed at least 2 matches, but I think the chance is close to zero.

What they should do is hold China timezone events, which could be held anywhere.

They should just have a block of events in China. The two week quarantine would be a lot more palatable if players knew they’d be playing in say three tournaments.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:It's irritating there are no China events yet again. Also an absoloute joke we have to have 2 championship leagues for the 4th season in a row. There is just no need to have 2! They could have had a Paul Hunter Classic and Riga Masters in June and July instead.

They could at least name one of them something else to give it the veneer of being a different event. It’s just lazy, really. Why not call one of them the Pro Series?

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:It's irritating there are no China events yet again. Also an absoloute joke we have to have 2 championship leagues for the 4th season in a row. There is just no need to have 2! They could have had a Paul Hunter Classic and Riga Masters in June and July instead.

the paul hunter classic was pretty much replaced by moving the european masters to fuerth. tickets for the last cancelled phc were transferrable to the european masters iirc (before it got moved to mk at least)

wst probably don't have the rights to use the phc and riga masters, and the german/latvian promoters might not agree to have the events relocated.

but they should really come up with a new name for the championship league (ranking).

Postby SnookerFan

The Championship League is just twiddle. Who is even watching it? I'd take a few PTC style events over that.

I guess the CL guarantees a certain amount of games for each player. But that's probably the only benefit of it.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:I notice that they still don't know where the Scottish Open will be.

What's the bets that it won't be in Scotland?

Milton Keynes again, knowing the WST.

hendon has implied that they do have something lined up in scotland on his podcast. but not at liberty to divulge yet.

speculation i've heard is the aberdeen conference centre. sadly too far for me to commute every day.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Personally, I think the players should agree to come over as long as their expenses are paid and they are guaranteed at least 2 matches, but I think the chance is close to zero.

They should just have a block of events in China. The two week quarantine would be a lot more palatable if players knew they’d be playing in say three tournaments.

how many players would qualify for all three though. unless they fly all 128 odd out.

Postby SteveJJ

McManusFan wrote:I'm surprised they've moved the UK earlier because of the football. Didn't realise any of the players were also professional footballers.

I suspect they wanted it shown on bbc which wouldn't have happened during the world cup.

Likewise CoC moved earlier than it was this season for itv broadcasting

Postby Iranu

I wonder if it will still be the cut-off for the Masters.

Postby HappyCamper

SteveJJ wrote:

I suspect they wanted it shown on bbc which wouldn't have happened during the world cup.

Likewise CoC moved earlier than it was this season for itv broadcasting

world grand prix back to after new year (presumably). at least that gives a bit more time for the one year list to form properly, december is just a bit too early.

Postby SnookerFan

There's a perfectly simple explanation for that.

The UK Championship is televised on the BBC. A lot of the World Cup games are televised on the BBC.

They didn't want a clash.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:

There's a perfectly simple explanation for that.

The UK Championship is televised on the BBC. A lot of the World Cup games are televised on the BBC.

They didn't want a clash.

That's a good point <ok>

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:How thick do you lot think I am?

I'm not sure I could put a number on it. :wave:

Because you can’t count?

Should've said I'm not willing.

So you didn’t count on my response?