Post a reply

Re: Selby claims Trump is not an all time great

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:And how do you know which players have hit their peak in a match?

If you are talking about whether they can play to a higher standard in a match than in practice, that I don't know.
I was just taking about the level they perform in matches, how high it is. Basically I look at how well they pot, the type of shots they pot/miss, their scoring, their safety etc.

I’m not asking that or I would have asked that. Although peak is peak in practice or in a match, that’s kind of the point.

I’m asking how do you know what a player’s match peak is? For all you know (and in most likelihood) none of them have ever played their peak in a match.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:And how do you know which players have hit their peak in a match?

If you are talking about whether they can play to a higher standard in a match than in practice, that I don't know.
I was just taking about the level they perform in matches, how high it is. Basically I look at how well they pot, the type of shots they pot/miss, their scoring, their safety etc.

I’m not asking that or I would have asked that. Although peak is peak in practice or in a match, that’s kind of the point.

I’m asking how do you know what a player’s match peak is? For all you know (and in most likelihood) none of them have ever played their peak in a match.

Ok, let me put it this way.
I am talking about the maximum level they have played in a competitive match. Whether that level is their absolute peak or not I do not know, nor do I care.
I am just comparing the peak level they have shown in competitive play.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Selby bang on. Trumpy is a one time WC, just the same as Terry Griffiths, Joe Johnson, Dennis Taylor, John Parrott, Ken Doherty, Pete Ebdon, Graeme Dott, Shaun Smurphy and Stuart Bingham. He’s not even as good as Walt Donaldson or Hurricane Higgins and certainly not the greats like Spencer and Williams. After that we’re talking super heavyweights - John Higgins, Selby himself, Joe, Fred, Reardon, Davis, Hendry and Ronnie. Trumpet needs to buckle down and start winning the important events, not the Mickey Mouse ones.

Postby Holden Chinaski

badtemperedcyril wrote:Selby bang on. Trumpy is a one time WC, just the same as Terry Griffiths, Joe Johnson, Dennis Taylor, John Parrott, Ken Doherty, Pete Ebdon, Graeme Dott, Shaun Smurphy and Stuart Bingham. He’s not even as good as Walt Donaldson or Hurricane Higgins and certainly not the greats like Spencer and Williams. After that we’re talking super heavyweights - John Higgins, Selby himself, Joe, Fred, Reardon, Davis, Hendry and Ronnie. Trumpet needs to buckle down and start winning the important events, not the Mickey Mouse ones.

<ok>

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:You said Judd has a higher peak. Which you don’t actually know.

Like I said, peak as in match peak. That is all we can see.

It’s bucking meaningless you goof.

Postby Yanfan

I think Judd's peak form (so far) was in the World Championship final he won.

If he can somehow find that again, he could certainly get a few more World Championship wins.

Postby Prop

Yanfan wrote:I think Judd's peak form (so far) was in the World Championship final he won.

If he can somehow find that again, he could certainly get a few more World Championship wins.

Yep. I think it was. It was the peak of a peak, but (as I believe I’ve mentioned on the forum a couple of times) I don’t think he’ll ever play to that level again.

Iranu has a point. Peak level isn’t really very meaningful. Titles are the closest indicator of a player’s average career form, and hence greatness. There’s no perfect way of measuring it. But the proof is in the pudding.