Post a reply

Ronnie O’Sullivan and Judd Trump confirmed for Championship

Postby SnookerFan

The Championship League has become a big part of the snooker calendar since the start of the pandemic and now it returns with the invitational edition in December.

There will be seven groups from December till the start of February, with all the group winners competing in a final group which will decide the champion.

The players involved have not been confirmed as yet, except four names, which Matchroom have announced will be involved.

Judd Trump, Ronnie O’Sullivan, John Higgins and Kyren Wilson will all be involved.

Wilson, who is being announced as ‘invitational defending champion’ is competing in Group 3 and Trump in Group 4 at the start of January.

O’Sullivan and Higgins both come in at Group 7 at the end of January, only giving themselves one chance to make it through to the Winners’ Group.

As Matchroom explain: ‘Each group features seven players and is played across two days with two tables in operation. All matches are a best-of-five, and each group is played to a round-robin format. The top four in each group contest the play-offs, with the eventual winner advancing to Winners’ Group. The three play-off players who don’t advance will move into the next group, where they are joined by the player who finished fifth in the table and three new players. Those finishing sixth and seventh in each group are eliminated from the competition.’

The competition will be shown on FreeSports in the UK, with international viewing options available.

This version of the Championship League is a non-ranking event, with Wilson winning the last non-ranking edition in April this year.

Since then Dave Gilbert won the ranking version in August, but Wilson will be the defending champion this time round, with the Angry Farmer able to defend his title next time the ranking version comes around.

The prize fund is £205,000 – up from the £181,700 earlier in the year – including players earning £100 a frame and a place in next year’s Champion of Champions will be on the line too.

Matchroom Multi Sport Managing Director Emily Frazer said: ‘It’s fantastic to be working with BetVictor once again for the BetVictor Championship League Snooker Invitational.

‘The tournament has grown in reputation every year since the first edition in 2008 and is now complemented by the full ranking version that we have seen over the last few years. We’re excited to deliver CLS worldwide with fans able to watch the action wherever they are in the world on their TV screens for the first time from the first match to the last match.

‘Players will also be playing on the new RASSON STRONG II table which has been debuted at this week’s Cazoo Champion of Champions.’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/16/ronnie-o ... -15610220/

Re: Ronnie O’Sullivan and Judd Trump confirmed for Champions

Postby Juddernaut88

I don't understand why they need to have another championship league this season for.
I can understand having in June 2020 as that was during covid and the return of snooker and maybe even last season as well as it was covid but this season there is no need to have 2!

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I don't understand why they need to have another championship league this season for.
I can understand having in June 2020 as that was during covid and the return of snooker and maybe even last season as well as it was covid but this season there is no need to have 2!

I think it's seen as a replacement for the Chinese events. :shrug:

It's just a way of giving all the players multiple playing opportunities, I guess. Even a governing body as out of touch as the WST can't think it's entertaining to watch.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I don't understand why they need to have another championship league this season for.

It's just a way of giving all the players multiple playing opportunities, I guess. Even a governing body as out of touch as the WST can't think it's entertaining to watch.

They could have used the Riga Masters and Paul Hunter Classic then. They weren't used last season, they could have been used this season. If they felt it was still unsafe to play them in different countries then again Milton Keynes could have been used of them both. There is just no need for 2 Championship leagues in a season at all!

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

They could have used the Riga Masters and Paul Hunter Classic then. They weren't used last season, they could have been used this season. If they felt it was still unsafe to play them in different countries then again Milton Keynes could have been used of them both. There is just no need for 2 Championship leagues in a season at all!

Agreed.

But it's the WST.