Post a reply

Re: Virgo and Taylor last World Champs?

Postby Minimum Break

All very strange. If BBC have decided this is their last year, surely they would have announced it by now?

I feel JV has caught them off guard by mentioning it in the podcast perhaps before a final decision had been made.

Postby mick745

The world championship has 6 sessions per day so all available commentators are presumably needed in the early rounds especially.

I do think its time for a shake up, DT has long outstayed his welcome i feel, he is usually completely clueless about the modern players and doesnt seem to have watched any other tournaments throughout the season.

Whereas current players commentating - at least they are in and around the venues all the time, know other tournaments exist and have played against some of these "young fellas".

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:The world championship has 6 sessions per day so all available commentators are presumably needed in the early rounds especially.

I do think its time for a shake up, DT has long outstayed his welcome i feel, he is usually completely clueless about the modern players and doesnt seem to have watched any other tournaments throughout the season.

Whereas current players commentating - at least they are in and around the venues all the time, know other tournaments exist and have played against some of these "young fellas".

That's true of most of the regular commentators on the BBC though.

McManus aside. Hendry has at least seen the ITV tournaments, but only because he's paid to.

At least when they use Walker and Perry, you do get the impression they know about some stuff outside the BBC tournaments.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:The world championship has 6 sessions per day so all available commentators are presumably needed in the early rounds especially.

McManus aside. Hendry has at least seen the ITV tournaments, but only because he's paid to.

At least when they use Walker and Perry, you do get the impression they know about some stuff outside the BBC tournaments.

Thats true. Although I would prefer JV over "DJ Steve" and "Horse racing bookie" JP. I like Steve but I am not sure his knowledge is up-to-date.

Postby mick745

The_Abbott wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Thats true. Although I would prefer JV over "DJ Steve" and "Horse racing bookie" JP. I like Steve but I am not sure his knowledge is up-to-date.

It is like they are under duress, like when JV moaned that a match had overrun and he might miss the afternoon's racing. Genuine enthusiasm for the sport would be nice. Most of us would love to get paid for watching snooker. They just rock up at the bbc having not been required to do any homework on the players who have qualified nor how the rest of the season has panned out.

Steve Davis i think is one of those stuck in snooker's "nostalgia" period.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah and McManus had jumped ship to Eurosport.

Ken’s not too bad on that front either because he’s still on tour (and unlike Hendry actually plays on it) plus his work with ITV and occasionally Eurosport but clearly doesn’t keep up with it as much as Angles or Perry.

Postby SnookerEd25

dale or swail wrote:Virgo and Taylor given a stay of execution until 2023.

Good grief, I didn’t realise that was the alternative
:shock:

Postby The_Abbott

dale or swail wrote:Virgo and Taylor given a stay of execution until 2023.

YAY for JV
NAY for Dennis

But I really don't mind in all honesty. I've quite enjoyed them both this year. Better than Steve Davis who has dropped to the very bottom when it come to snooker knowledge.

Postby Juddernaut88

John Virgo is the man, Taylor is okay. Out of all the BBC commentators I'd have him over Joe perry, Shaun Murphy, Steve Davis, John Parrott and Rob Walker anyday.