Post a reply

Re: Bringing Power to the People

Postby Wildey

anyway ive said all im gonna on the matter <ok>

Postby snookerbacker

To be honest I think it will be a bit of a laugh, at least it categorically isn't snooker, it's a version of snooker. My gripe is with the Premier League which is dressed up as snooker when it clearly isn't, I can't stand it.

I think anything that increases the profile of the game in these times is to be applauded (emoticon with someone clapping please)

Postby Bourne

I've just been reading up on it and I am positive, I think this is a step forward. We will know more when we have seen it in action but I can see it working in snooker clubs around the country, in fact i'll probably try it tomorrow. We need variety and this is a small part of the pie.

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:I've just been reading up on it and I am positive, I think this is a step forward. We will know more when we have seen it in action but I can see it working in snooker clubs around the country, in fact i'll probably try it tomorrow. We need variety and this is a small part of the pie.

good answer bourney, yes this is a positive and exciting prospect <ok>

Postby Bourne

snookerbacker wrote:I think you'll find that's a small part of the Pukka Pie?

UK Champs ?

Postby Monique

There is this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 846972.stm?

on BBC this morning....

Being currently in Greece it is "unavailable in my country" :mood:
Going by the title "Ronnie O'Sullivan hopes for one more world title" it exactly illustrates what I was saying earlier ... that Ronnie might get bored in Sheffield but he still would love to win it and will try his heart out do do so!
And again it's typical that the press pounced on the "boring" aspect and not even mentioned any "mitigating" statement. It's all about selling.

anyone who can watch it would summarise it? or spot a youtube version?
Thant would be great!

Postby Roland

He still said all that crap though Monique. If he didn't say it, they wouldn't report it. There is no defence to his comments from yesterday, although I am still to watch this BBC clip.

As for playing Power Snooker in your local club - yes it sounds like a good idea although the whole shot time thing is totally unworkable among club players.

Postby N_Castle07

from msn.com

Rocket Fires Crucible Blast

Three-time world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan has blasted the Crucible event as 'boring' as he helped launch an exciting new form of the game called 'Power Snooker'.

World Snooker chief Barry Hearn has taken up the revolutionary new form of snooker created by Rod Gunner in his bid to bring the sport back to relevance.

Hearn has already introduced more new events but this move is the biggest yet and is the most aggressive attempt ever to revamp the sport.

Power Snooker is a radical departure from the orthodox game, with matches lasting just half-an-hour and where points count instead of frames won.

Three-times world champion O'Sullivan is excited by the developments which will see world's top players go head-to-head at London's Indigo O2 in October, and the Rocket had some harsh words for the Crucible showpiece.

Boring
"I've got to be honest, I find the World Championship really boring," said O'Sullivan. "I've won it three times but 17 days in Sheffield is draining. People just want to pitch up and play.

"Anything new is a challenge. I definitely think this is the future of snooker. It is just that a few people have got to get their heads around it. It is the year 2010 and we are not stuck in the 1970s anymore.

"Snooker needs a new audience and the idea of a game coming to an end in 30 minutes is exciting.

"I can understand that people still like their long endurance games, but for me the excitement of playing a game that keeps you on your toes, keeps you on your edge, is something I am really looking forward to.

"It is going to change snooker. The crowd will love it and the public will enjoy it. I cannot find a flaw in it. You just want some excitement in your life and this brings excitement."

Vibrant
Hearn hopes to reinvigorate snooker just as he has done with darts, and sees a more vibrant, faster form of the game is needed to achieve this.

The premiere event in October will be a televised eight-hour tournament and the final line-up has yet to be decided.

But O'Sullivan has already confirmed his participation and invitations have gone out to Neil Robertson, Chinese prodigy Ding Junhui, Mark Selby, Ali Carter, Shaun Murphy, Belgian wonder-kid Luca Brecel and crowd favourite Jimmy White.

"We are 100% behind Power Snooker," said Hearn. "In this new time for World Snooker, it is important for us to embrace new formats and new ideas. World Snooker welcome the Power Snooker event which we hope will bring new audiences and new fans to the sport."

Originator Gunner added: "It had struck me for some time that the game of snooker needed a new and exciting transfusion. Having seen how Twenty20 cricket has revitalised that sport, I am delighted to have come up with the concept of Power Snooker and seen the positive reaction from within the game."

The first event of its kind is scheduled for October 30 and all the players will wear microphones in order to gain more interaction between crowd and players.

The plan is to deliver an innovative look and feel both live and on-screen. Vibrant lighting and strategic music stings will also be used to produce energy, excitement, tension and theatre.

Postby SnookerFan

sickpotter wrote:Monique, people new to the game may not attend the entire 17 day event but they might be inclined to take in some matches if they thought they were good/entertaining.

You may feel that making these kinds of comments will not hurt snooker or won't affect existing fans but this is not about existing fans and affecting their opinion of the game. This is about increasing the fan base and comments like this will put off some who might have otherwise been willing to check it out.

I know you're a true fan of the game Monique so I find it hard to grasp how you can't see that this can have a negative impact on the future of the WC.

Correct. Nobody is suggesting that existing fans are going to stand up and say; "Oh rubbish! Look what Ronnie said. I no longer want to watch snooker."

That doesn't mean Ronnie's comments are irrelevant. Far from it. I appreciate fans are not made or lost based on one fuck-wit stating an opinon. But it's all part of the promotion of the sport. If, as Monique suggest, people aren't going to change their minds and come to snooker, Barry Hearn might as well give up now. Why is he trying to promote the game, if promotion makes no difference at all? If people see Hearn diving about all over the place hyping up snooker, they aren't going to make a concious decision to watch it, based on what Hearn said. But you will subconciously take his enthusiasm on board, and if you are channel surfing, you may linger on the channel with snooker on a bit longer then other, because Hearn has made it stick out.

If however, you constantly hearing negative messages of disgust from Ronnie, and lets face it, this isn't the first time he has talked this way, that message will seep in also.

You either think marketing matters, or it doesn't. If you think it doesn't, why is Hearn doing it, and why do companies spend millions of dollars trying to convince people to part from their money. Snooker doesn't enjoy the mass interest that football, rugby, cricket or tennis do. If David Beckham said the Champions League were rubbish, it would make no difference as football is already popular. Snooker has few fans, thus these comments are more inexcusable. Especially from somebody considered to be the sport's golden boy. In a sport that is trying it's damndest to create new fans, and to bring in a younger fan base, the biggest star in the sport pretending he finds it boring when he doesn't is a terrible thing to happen.

It beggars belief that any fan of the sport thinks otherwise. And the amount of times I've been told I am just a I am a twat, who has no basis for disliking him becomes even more ridiculous every time he opens his mouth.

Postby Monique

@snookerfan and sickpotter.
I think we best agree to disagree. I know marketing matters of course but I still think this will do more good than harm because it's drawing attention, triggering discussion and provoked a massive reaction of the fans in favour of the WC traditional form of the game that Barry can now use as an evidence to convince the Beep it's worth to keep it all 17 days long.

Postby Roland

That's one way of looking at it I guess. Remember when John Higgins said the final should only be over one day and the uproar over that?

Everyone knows Ronnie prefers to pitch up, play and clear off rather than hang around, but as someone else aluded to, his obituary will start off by mentioning his World Titles and he knows that no matter what spurts out of his mouth in the mean time.

Postby Wildey

Monique said that yesterday morning but i was a bit snake hissed off with Friend Ridiculing Snooker on the back of what Ronnie said that i wasn't in the mood to listen to anything that could be positive coming out of a negative.

i see what Monique saying there reverse publicity if you like.

Postby SnookerFan

What strikes me is that we've all given our opinions on what Ronnie said. Now, I take Monique's point that it's not going to ruin the sport, or make any difference to Barry's plans of revamping it. It's perhaps bad publicity, but I think Barry Hearn won't give up trying because of it, so hopefully it'll just get forgotten about, like the aforementioned Higgins incident as something somebody said once.

What we should really be doing is discussing Power Snooker. Who thinks it's a good idea? Personally I think it's a gimmick too far. I know I come across like every new idea they have I criticise, but at least the format of the World Open is an interesting one. It shouldn't be a ranking event, nor should it have replaced the Grand Prix, but it's not a bad concept in itself. I have a feeling this Power Snooker will be. I've been asked if I want to go, but haven't decided yet. All the talk of bonus points added, shot clocks, time limit on frames imposed, super sexy dancing girls everywhere, I'm not sure I can take it seriously. May watch on TV this year, before deciding if I want to pay money to see this sort of stuff again. Or I may give in, and the lure of live snooker finally drags me there. End of day though, if this was a one day, pot-black style tournament, with all other rules normal I wouldn't think twice about going.

Postby Monique

I think the rules are too complicated and the 20 sec shot-clock really too "tight". But I will reserve my judgement untill I have seen it in action. Only then I can form a valid opinion.
Last edited by Monique on 25 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I think the rules are too complicated and the 20 sec shot-clock really too "tight". But I will reserve my judgement untill I have sen it in action. Only then I can form a valid opinion.

yes i think it is pointless speculating on this really we dont know infact Ronnie doesent even know he might get bored with this after 29 minutes ;)

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:I think the rules are too complicated and the 20 sec shot-clock really too "tight". But I will reserve my judgement untill I have sen it in action. Only then I can form a valid opinion.

yes i think it is pointless speculating on this really we dont know infact Ronnie doesent even know he might get bored with this after 29 minutes ;)

Strikes me it might take you longer then 29 minutes to work out whats going on. <laugh>

Postby Monique

This is taken from Ronnie's page on Riley's site... http://www.rileys.co.uk/ronnie.aspx

Can Barry Hearn make a difference to snooker?

Definitely. It’s not just the enthusiasm either. The guy is a motivator and a man who knows how to work a product. He’s got fantastic contacts in the media and he will certainly work really hard for the benefit of the game. You’ve got to be innovative within any sport to provide interest and entertainment, but he’s also a snooker man. He’ll respect the game and its traditions - but we need a buzz and he’s the man to provide it.

Underline added by me. I think this just shows how out of context and out of proportion Ronnie's statement has been taken.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:This is taken from Ronnie's page on Riley's site... http://www.rileys.co.uk/ronnie.aspx

Can Barry Hearn make a difference to snooker?

Definitely. It’s not just the enthusiasm either. The guy is a motivator and a man who knows how to work a product. He’s got fantastic contacts in the media and he will certainly work really hard for the benefit of the game. You’ve got to be innovative within any sport to provide interest and entertainment, but he’s also a snooker man. He’ll respect the game and its traditions - but we need a buzz and he’s the man to provide it.

Underline added by me. I think this just shows how out of context and out of proportion Ronnie's statement has been taken.

monique i for 1 never doubted his comments wasn't meant in the way it came out he just has a severe bout of verbal diarrhea but when you say snooker and boring in the same sentance the press will jump on it and concentrate on it..

its a annual sporting ocation for them rubbishing snooker especially in this country the disappointment from me that this time a snooker player and not only a snooker player but the best gives them the ammunition for years to come.

those comments will be used now annually to beat snooker with.

Postby Tubberlad

The problem is, the tabloids despise snooker, particularly during the eighties. This supposedly stuffy sport took so much attention from their beloved football it was incredible, and since then the red tops love to use whatever they can to beat the game. O'Sullivans comments were always dangerous.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:The problem is, the tabloids despise snooker, particularly during the eighties. This supposedly stuffy sport took so much attention from their beloved football it was incredible, and since then the red tops love to use whatever they can to beat the game. O'Sullivans comments were always dangerous.

spot on

you wasn't around in the 80s and thats exactly how its been ever since in Britain anyway people might have over reacted a tad but people of my generation thats been trying to fight that bigoted atetute towards snooker ever since there will allways be people that says a sport is boring ...i happen to think Rugby is Boring but hearing a player say that is unthinkable.

Postby Tubberlad

That's a good point Wild, it's unthinkable for a player to call their own sport boring. Yet nobody was surprised when O'Sullivan did it.

Postby Wildey

yes hes said it so often lol

you know he doesn't mean it and you know he gets a bigger buzz playing in the WC what he doesn't like is the hanging around waiting to play for example in a 3 session match you play a morning session then hanging about all day until the evening session. just wished hed put that over in a better way.

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:The problem is, the tabloids despise snooker, particularly during the eighties. This supposedly stuffy sport took so much attention from their beloved football it was incredible, and since then the red tops love to use whatever they can to beat the game. O'Sullivans comments were always dangerous.

On the contrary id say the tabloids loved snooker in the 80s and despised football because of all the crowd voilence etc, football was in the doldrums in many ways whilst snooker was on the rise. Infact believe it or not, around the mid 80s Steve Davis was the highest earning British sportstar :scared: unreal to imagine that now i know when you see the wealth in other sports, especially football where every single mediocre Premiership player earns in a few months what Ronnie earns in a year <doh>

Be it Higgins, Jimmy, Kirk, Knowles or whoever, the tabloids had a field day with the snooker players off table antics and loved snooker back then as it was the game of the people and had mass appeal. Its easy for them to knock it now, as its been unfashionable and lacking characters for a while.

Theres a saying "any publicity is good publicity" and Ronnies only doing what Alex in the past did, attracting attention to the sport albeit by negative means. Beggars cant be choosers and any interest in the sport from the tabloids has to be welcomed.