Post a reply

Re: Ronnie discussing him & Selby, the World Championship

Postby TheSaviour

Trust me, he´s never going to give up with me. He has zero prospects to gain anything but he won´t be quitting.

Certainly a strange, strange animal if there´s ever been a one.

A zero degree to understand a German type of a humour. A zero to many. But not a natural talent. Ronnie, I mean. Not me.

Get in.

First Neil. Now.
Then Jack, John, Judd, with no particular order.

Selby; no. Ronnie; no. Sorry. Selby´s "just" God.

There was a joke years ago that Ronnie might get arrogant and still somehow to get a way it. Everyone tought that Yeah, that´s certainyl going to happen (not)! But, strangle enough, it is true now. Check out his current body-language, his gestures.

Postby gallantrabbit

Ronnie got away with absolute murder a number of times, but knew how to take advantage and played wonderfully well to clear up several times. It completely suited Ronnie's antagonistic personality to do things out of line and irritate the straighter Selby. If he did it again he would surely leave key balls on and then it would be up to a seething Selbs to put his chance away.

Postby Pink Ball

Prop wrote:And what a safety it was! Plenty of people thought he’d fluked that glancing shot on the red. But watch this from the 2012 Worlds semi against Matty Stevens (scroll down past the Reanne Evans gif)...

https://clusterofreds.com/2018/08/30/fa ... ts-part-3/

Of course it wasn’t a fluke. It was a very difficult shot that he wouldn’t pull off most times he played it, but how is it a fluke? That is the shot he was playing and the outcome he was looking for, clearly. A fluke is when you play a shot and benefit from an unforeseen outcome.

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:Trust me, he´s never going to give up with me. He has zero prospects to gain anything but he won´t be quitting.

Certainly a strange, strange animal if there´s ever been a one.

A zero degree to understand a German type of a humour. A zero to many. But not a natural talent. Ronnie, I mean. Not me.

Get in.

First Neil. Now.
Then Jack, John, Judd, with no particular order.

Selby; no. Ronnie; no. Sorry. Selby´s "just" God.

There was a joke years ago that Ronnie might get arrogant and still somehow to get a way it. Everyone tought that Yeah, that´s certainyl going to happen (not)! But, strangle enough, it is true now. Check out his current body-language, his gestures.

Welcome back Sabeybaby!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
Prop wrote:And what a safety it was! Plenty of people thought he’d fluked that glancing shot on the red. But watch this from the 2012 Worlds semi against Matty Stevens (scroll down past the Reanne Evans gif)...

Of course it wasn’t a fluke. It was a very difficult shot that he wouldn’t pull off most times he played it, but how is it a fluke? That is the shot he was playing and the outcome he was looking for, clearly. A fluke is when you play a shot and benefit from an unforeseen outcome.

That escape is my favourite shot of all time. It was absolutely perfect. Selby's shot was brilliant and he put Ronnie in so much trouble. Ronnie stayed as cool as a cucumber and played a delicate escape, 100% inch-perfect. That won him the match, right there. It was as if he literally snake hissed all over Selby. Best match ever.

Postby Reg Varney

Iranu wrote:

It definitely wasn’t a fluke.

And if Selby had done it everyone would be saying how great he was at escaping from snookers and getting it safe.

Which is exactly what folk were saying just the shot before, when Selby, snookered, played that amazing shot coming off two cushions, hitting the red from behind and snookering Ronnie.

Postby Reg Varney

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has certainly become a bit arrogant since that win. I've seen him sitting down on a chair multiple times.

Don't expect him to go feeding the homeless this year either!

Postby Scooper

Things were ok between them until Selby stopped replying to Ronnie’s texts. And when Ronnie tried ringing, Vikki answered, saying Mark had popped to the shop to buy milk etc - obvious lie. If they play each other this year it’ll be a frosty atmosphere.

Postby Prop

Pink Ball wrote:

I knew it wasn’t a fluke. A few others (Selby fans?) thought it was. When I saw it I had some recollection of him playing a similar shot before, but couldn’t think when. I recently found these gifs on Cluster of Reds, and lo and behold!

Postby Andre147

The one that was a fluke was that hit and hope on the last red that snookered Selby with the red behind black.

And then Selby produced a wonderful escape, only for Ronnie to make one even better, but this time, opposed to his last shot, it was full of intention.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:The one that was a fluke was that hit and hope on the last red that snookered Selby with the red behind black.

Oh yeah, that was a bucking fluke and a half. He hadn't a buck clue of that.

Calling the other one a fluke was pure sourness. By that definition, pulling off every difficult shot is a fluke. His cannon to seperate red and pink in 2008? Fluke. Higgins' blue? Fluke. Hendry's brown against White in '92? Fluke.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:The one that was a fluke was that hit and hope on the last red that snookered Selby with the red behind black.

Oh yeah, that was a bucking fluke and a half. He hadn't a buck clue of that.

Calling the other one a fluke was pure sourness. By that definition, pulling off every difficult shot is a fluke. His cannon to seperate red and pink in 2008? Fluke. Higgins' blue? Fluke. Hendry's brown against White in '92? Fluke.

Every other shot Judd Trump ever played? Fluke.

Postby TheRocket

imagine being mad at your opponent because he just did what you'd expect him to do. Trying his hardest to win and knock you out which he did. And imagine being mad at your opponent because he simply didnt play the shot you wanted him to play.

Postby 1892

Holden Chinaski wrote:https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1382031116668899333

:D :cracker:

Can’t wait!

The first decider was incredible and I thought Ronnie was just gonna roll over for Selby, I was in a state of shock when Ronnie won it.

Postby Andre147

1892 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1382031116668899333

:D :cracker:

Can’t wait!

The first decider was incredible and I thought Ronnie was just gonna roll over for Selby, I was in a state of shock when Ronnie won it.

It came against Mark Selby, of all people. The man who's done so many comebacks to win titles against Ronnie. As a fan this surely must be the most satisfying moment, given the importance of it.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:These guys are destined to be married to one another one day. It is written in the stars!

Selby's already married though. Would he have to leave Vikki for Ronnie?

Seems sad.

Dennis would be heartbroken.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:These guys are destined to be married to one another one day. It is written in the stars!

Selby's already married though. Would he have to leave Vikki for Ronnie?

Seems sad.

Dennis would be heartbroken.

It's hard to tell who he has a bigger crush on. Vikki or Ronnie.

Postby SHIZZLE_ME_DIZZLE

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

That escape is my favourite shot of all time. It was absolutely perfect. Selby's shot was brilliant and he put Ronnie in so much trouble. Ronnie stayed as cool as a cucumber and played a delicate escape, 100% inch-perfect. That won him the match, right there. It was as if he literally snake hissed all over Selby. Best match ever.

That match and the way it ebbed and flowed, culminating in the ROS fight back (with the awesome breaks and then the incredible safety duel).

Match of a lifetime.

Hairs standing on my neck thinking about it.

Have it bookmarked on my internet favourites. ITS THAT GOOD. :D