Post a reply

Re: The World Number 1 Speaks Out

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Go Judd !!!
Go polo shirts !!!
buck the waistcoats and the bow and tie !!!
:mosh:

Is there a double entendre in there? :chin:

What's a double entendre ?!? :?

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:Always weird to see Selly Park mentioned in snooker context.

Really? It’s the only context I’ve ever seen it in, but I’m assuming you must be fairly local?

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Really? It’s the only context I’ve ever seen it in, but I’m assuming you must be fairly local?

Went to school round that way.

I have a feeling Dave Hendon lives in Selly Park or near to it.

Postby Iranu

badtemperedcyril wrote:

Do you know when it was demolished?

2000ish

Postby badtemperedcyril

Iranu wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

Do you know when it was demolished?

2000ish

Really, as late as that?

Did it relocate to another location or disband?

Postby Iranu

I don’t know, sorry. There are quite a few knocking about, I don’t know if any of them are that one in a different location (if that makes sense). I don’t know of another one in Selly Park that could be that one, but it’s also not something I’ve looked out for.

Postby chengdufan

Satch4 wrote:Speaking as an outsider of the UK, the obvious "Britishness" is part of snooker's appeal and that includes the dress code. Some of the rules like misses, being sat in the chair to test your capacity to keep a stiff upper lip for all to see, calling fouls on yourself, the referee carefully looking to see if an an article of clothing is touching a ball, tapping your knee in approval when the other guy does a good shot etc I have hard time seeing other cultures developing a sport like that has these kinds of characteristics and would prefer to see them stay. I think Brits like Judd and probably on this board don't see some of things as appealing because it's tired and old to them but to outsiders it has international flavor.

Scooper wrote:I’m in favour of relaxing the dress code. They look more like waiters than sportsmen.

More like a continuation of the culture of the game's creators ie British officers in the 1800's who expect themselves and their peers to wear attire appropriate of a gentleman :happy:

This is a really good post. I'd never considered it in this way before.

Postby Andre147

It's a gentleman's game, where fair play is at it's finest, so they should wear the appropriate attire. There should always be room for events like the Shoot-Out and the Home Nations where the dress code is relaxed, but the others should always stick to the normal attire.

And this is just one of the reasons why Pool will never be as big or as sporting as Snooker. it might be an easier game to play, and played by more people, but the finesse Snooker has cannot be matched, and long may it continue.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:It's a gentleman's game, where fair play is at it's finest, so they should wear the appropriate attire. There should always be room for events like the Shoot-Out and the Home Nations where the dress code is relaxed, but the others should always stick to the normal attire.

And this is just one of the reasons why Pool will never be as big or as sporting as Snooker. it might be an easier game to play, and played by more people, but the finesse Snooker has cannot be matched, and long may it continue.

Indeed. :goodpost:

Postby SnookerFan

Scooper wrote:I feel like some of these posts are copy / pasted from the 1800s

Are any of the internet forums from 1800 still running today?

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:

Well, there was Snookery Dookery which was only recently shut down, unfortunately.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Well, there was Snookery Dookery which was only recently shut down, unfortunately.

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Dannyboy

Going back to the OP, I do agree with what Judd is saying, however it is up to the players to increase their popularity. Being wooden and boring isn't going to increase your supporter base. Get fit, not fat. Look more like Judd less like Stephen Lee. Play fast, not slow.

There is so much more money in the game now than the 1980s, players are now incredibly professional and are not going to get onto the front pages with their 'antics' which like it or not, was one of the reasons why Alex Higgins was so popular.

That said, if snooker ditched its conservative dress mantra and became slightly unruly, it would put off the Chinese who have pumped in zillions and there wouldn't be money now coming in from the Middle East; both who reflect conservative societies.

Every sport is suffering from a squeeze other than their premier event - so many trying to get airtime, but also many going down unconventional non-linear means. I'm still not convinced this is going to work in a mass way. Even darts has suffered from this from a TV aspect recently.

I also don't think every tournament looking the same helps either - unavoidable in recent times due to Covid clearly... I hope sport never goes back to the Marshall Arena for many years despite it being 10 minutes from my house. The reason why the World Snooker Championship is so popular is because of the iconic Crucible Theatre. The Masters equally at Wembley... I don't think Alexandra Palace has really regained that buzz just yet. I hate to say this, but there are too many TV events... quality not quantity. I think 15 TV events a year max would help.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Judd is not as popular as Ronnie is or as Jimmy and Alex were. That's the problem. There is no next Ronnie/Jimmy/Alex and that's what the game needs. Judd wants to be that but he's not.

Postby chengdufan

Dannyboy wrote:Going back to the OP, I do agree with what Judd is saying, however it is up to the players to increase their popularity. Being wooden and boring isn't going to increase your supporter base. Get fit, not fat. Look more like Judd less like Stephen Lee. Play fast, not slow.

There is so much more money in the game now than the 1980s, players are now incredibly professional and are not going to get onto the front pages with their 'antics' which like it or not, was one of the reasons why Alex Higgins was so popular.

That said, if snooker ditched its conservative dress mantra and became slightly unruly, it would put off the Chinese who have pumped in zillions and there wouldn't be money now coming in from the Middle East; both who reflect conservative societies.

Every sport is suffering from a squeeze other than their premier event - so many trying to get airtime, but also many going down unconventional non-linear means. I'm still not convinced this is going to work in a mass way. Even darts has suffered from this from a TV aspect recently.

I also don't think every tournament looking the same helps either - unavoidable in recent times due to Covid clearly... I hope sport never goes back to the Marshall Arena for many years despite it being 10 minutes from my house. The reason why the World Snooker Championship is so popular is because of the iconic Crucible Theatre. The Masters equally at Wembley... I don't think Alexandra Palace has really regained that buzz just yet. I hate to say this, but there are too many TV events... quality not quantity. I think 15 TV events a year max would help.

Interesting that you think Chinese society is 'conservative'. What makes you think that?

Chinese fans couldn't give less of a rubbish about the dress code. Most watch the matches involving players they are expecting to play at a high standard. A few like watching the grinders, but most are attracted by the combination of flamboyance and skill.
And they will watch the best Chinese players. Similar to some Ronnie fans on here though, their player will get easily criticised for the slightest error.

Ronnie, Ding and Judd are still the biggest draws here. But Zhao, Zhou and Yan have been getting more and more attention recently.

Postby Dannyboy

I mean conservative from a business point of view - that has drawn sponsorship capital in from the likes of banks and big companies because of the refined image.

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:Interesting that you think Chinese society is 'conservative'. What makes you think that?

Chinese fans couldn't give less of a rubbish about the dress code.

Utter respect for the Chinese then :hatoff: :hatoff: :hatoff:
buck the dress code, only old farts would want to play dressed like that.

chengdufan wrote:Most watch the matches involving players they are expecting to play at a high standard. A few like watching the grinders, but most are attracted by the combination of flamboyance and skill.
And they will watch the best Chinese players. Similar to some Ronnie fans on here though, their player will get easily criticised for the slightest error.

Ronnie, Ding and Judd are still the biggest draws here. But Zhao, Zhou and Yan have been getting more and more attention recently.

:hatoff:
Xintong is my favorite to watch out of all the Chinese kids, he's incredibly talented and he likes to go for his shots. :hatoff: :happy:

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:Judd doesnt understand the market as well as Barry does.

Barry Hawkins - people's favourite