Post a reply

Re: Reanne and Ng On Yee offered tour cards

Postby chengdufan

There are only really 64 professionals. The remaining 64 on tour are competing for a place in said top 64 to become someone who can focus on playing snooker tournaments for a living. Around 5 of this 64 make the breakthrough each year.

So how do we decide which amateur players get the opportunity to be part of this secondary 64?
We would of course like the best amateurs to be in the group. And there are probably about 20-30 players who could realistically get into the 64. But what about the remaining 30-45, who we all know will have no chance?
Motorhead seems to think that they should be the next best group based on ability, and the rationale at first glance appears sound. However, to be able to be sure you get the right players, you'd really have to have a lot of tournaments with all the best amateurs from around the world competing, which is unrealistic.

So, sure, let's try to get as many of the best amateurs in as we can, but let's not get hung up on ensuring the 100th-128th best players in the world are part of the tour.
Maybe we should think about other factors for this group:
Their ability to generate interest (and revenue) in and for snooker.
Their ability to be able to afford playing as many tournaments as possible, through previous earnings or ability to get sponsorship.
Their ability to provide a decent challenge to the others on tour (even though we know the likelihood of them winning any given match is small).

And who do we then get for this 100-128 group?
I'd say Jimmy, Reanne and Ng are pretty good options actually.

Postby HappyCamper

motorhead wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:They've not been given wildcards. It full card from an additional route to pro qualification from an amateur rankings. Similar to challenge tour, or continental/junior/world amateur champions.

The issue here is not whether these are wild cards, tour cards or amazon gift cards.
Your regular Joe can't enter the women's tour and earn a card that route, it doesn't make any sense from an equality standpoint since Ng and Reanne can do the opposite; entering Q school.
I'm not sure about the technicality of that but I'm willing to bet they can also enter the amateur competition that grants a tour card. Feel free to prove me wrong.
I'd me more than happy to have women on the tour provided they earn their spot, people mentioning White or aussie qualifiers make no sense whatsoever. If Reanne and Ng were aussie sure as hell they could enter that way too. It's gonna be hilarious if we are going to have an aussie woman #1 not being able to go through that weak ass field but earning the spot via WSS.

I was responding directly to a claim that they've been given wildcards.

They will be able to enter some, Q school and the WSF open for sure. I am not sure about EBSA, CSBA routes , or others. There are multiple routes of qualification and no single person can enter all.

The issue is really the artificial scarcity of having a set number of 'tour players' which necessitates some arbitrary decisions about how players gain access to the closed shop.

Also not helped by silly political disputes meaning the leading amateur competition doesn't grant a tour slot.

Postby mick745

Is there a case for having some sort of promotion/relegation by say having 4 leagues of 32 players each, that way you build your self up with players of your own ability level and the best players reach the "elite" group after only 3 years?

Obviously there would be tournaments where all could play like WSC and tournament venues could host parallel tournaments so spectators could still watch any players they wish.

Those that finished say in the bottom half of the 4th division get replaced every season.

Postby motorhead

Iranu wrote:Actually, the FA Cup is open to teams as low as level 10 in the English League System. I never mentioned the Pope’s League.
Interesting, goes to show you how much I know about brit football, I had read Pope instead of Papa or whatever that competition is and I thought you were joking.

Iranu wrote:It’s not a wildcard. It’s a qualification based on their performances on the women’s tour.

Again, for the 10th time, that's not the point.

Iranu wrote: Your regular Brit can’t enter the Oceania Snooker Championship.

:hatoff:
Iranu wrote:Steve Mifsud therefore gets a tour place that he wouldn’t get if his place was open to all players, correct? Can you point me to your outrage about this in any previous posts?
You keep bringing up this dumb argument that mixes continents and genders.
Oceania's players are at a disadvantage due to lack of tournaments, I love how you just pretend not to know this.
Iranu wrote:Or do you think he’s more deserving than two players who will presumably take part in more than (at most) one tournament per season?
If he had moved to UK he'd have likely entered all tourneys I guess, are we really discussing this?
Iranu wrote:I don’t think you understand what whataboutism is.

attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.
Iranu wrote:Steve Mifsud therefore gets a tour place that he wouldn’t get if his place was open to all players, correct? Can you point me to your outrage about this in any previous posts?

Postby Iranu

motorhead wrote:
Iranu wrote:Actually, the FA Cup is open to teams as low as level 10 in the English League System. I never mentioned the Pope’s League.
Interesting, goes to show you how much I know about brit football, I had read Pope instead of Papa or whatever that competition is and I thought you were joking.

Iranu wrote:It’s not a wildcard. It’s a qualification based on their performances on the women’s tour.

Again, for the 10th time, that's not the point.

Iranu wrote: Your regular Brit can’t enter the Oceania Snooker Championship.

:hatoff:
You keep bringing up this dumb argument that mixes continents and genders.
Oceania's players are at a disadvantage due to lack of tournaments, I love how you just pretend not to know this.
Iranu wrote:Or do you think he’s more deserving than two players who will presumably take part in more than (at most) one tournament per season?
If he had moved to UK he'd have likely entered all tourneys I guess, are we really discussing this?
Iranu wrote:I don’t think you understand what whataboutism is.

attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.

You’re not answering my questions.