Post a reply

Jimmy White.

Postby BringBackTonyDrago

Will he get a tour card for next season ? I know he is playing in the seniors and if he wins that again he will go to champion of champions.

He has had a bad season but just wondered if he will play next season ?

Any info and sources will be appreciated thankyou .

Re: Jimmy White.

Postby HappyCamper

he is on the first year of a two year invitational card. so he is entitled to play next year.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 10 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

Can someone please explain to me what being off the tour actually means? players outside the top 64 all still get to play in the home nation events, UK championship, few of the European qualifiers and other European tournaments such as Gibraltar open, Riga Masters and the Shoot out and of course qualifiers for the world championship.

Postby donthittheblue

Juddernaut88 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what being off the tour actually means? players outside the top 64 all still get to play in the home nation events, UK championship, few of the European qualifiers and other European tournaments such as Gibraltar open, Riga Masters and the Shoot out and of course qualifiers for the world championship.

Being outside the Top 128....

Postby Juddernaut88

donthittheblue wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what being off the tour actually means? players outside the top 64 all still get to play in the home nation events, UK championship, few of the European qualifiers and other European tournaments such as Gibraltar open, Riga Masters and the Shoot out and of course qualifiers for the world championship.

I thought being off the tour was players outside the top 64? so many times I hear commentators saying things like "Very important this player wins so he stay in the top 64 and still stay on the tour"

Postby HappyCamper

the 128 tour professionals are given an automatic right to enter all of the world tour ranking events, and are included in the official rankings that are used for qualification for certain invitational events.

often some tour players will elect to not enter certain events, so there will be wildcard spots given to non tour players as top ups. usually based on criteria such as q school order of merit, csba rankings, or local nominations.

some of the tour events like Gibraltar or the old paul hunter classic which evolved from pro-am type competitions would have large amateur qualifiers.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

As long as he can still enter the World Championship. He has some unfinished business there.

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

I thought being off the tour was players outside the top 64? so many times I hear commentators saying things like "Very important this player wins so he stay in the top 64 and still stay on the tour"

when a player earns a tour card it is for two years initially. at the end of that two year period they need to be in the top 64 of the rankings to retain the card for an additional year. if they fall outside the top64 they lose their tour card and must re-earn it somehow (eg q school)

so at the start of every year 64 players are returning tour professionals, any players who are entering their second year, then the remaining are new players from a variety of sources: continental/world amateur champions, q school, 1 year rankings, invitational etc.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 09 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

If you are in the top 64 at the end of the season, you qualify as a pro for the following season and keep all your ranking points. The other 64 have to qualify in some way to remain or become a pro for the next season.

Postby Juddernaut88

HappyCamper wrote:

the 128 tour professionals are given an automatic right to enter all of the world tour ranking events, and are included in the official rankings that are used for qualification for certain invitational events.

often some tour players will elect to not enter certain events, so there will be wildcard spots given to non tour players as top ups. usually based on criteria such as q school order of merit, csba rankings, or local nominations.

some of the tour events like Gibraltar or the old paul hunter classic which evolved from pro-am type competitions would have large amateur qualifiers.

:hatoff:

Postby donthittheblue

Juddernaut88 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

Outside the Top 64 on this years list.

Outside the Top 128 on next years list.

Postby Cloud Strife

Jimmy will be back next year. He won't retire until he's finally won the World Championship.

I'm sure Hearn will invite him back for another crack at the title.

Postby SnookerEd25

BringBackTonyDrago wrote:Will he be playing in 2033 when he’s 70 ?

It will be his year <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

He actually went through a period of form in Qualifiers. Got through to the UKs before being spanked.

Qualified for something else, didn't he? Was it Germany?

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:He actually went through a period of form in Qualifiers. Got through to the UKs before being spanked.

Yes but hasn't played yet so is a spanking in waiting.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:He actually went through a period of form in Qualifiers. Got through to the UKs before being spanked.

He's playing Peng Yisong in Berlin, so you'd probably make White favourite.

If WPBSA are looking for some good publicity, and there are some tour cards going spare, then I should think Jimmy White is even more of a certainty than in other years, along with Reanne Evans and Ng On Yee of course.

Postby The_Abbott

lhpirnie wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

If WPBSA are looking for some good publicity, and there are some tour cards going spare, then I should think Jimmy White is even more of a certainty than in other years, along with Reanne Evans and Ng On Yee of course.

Jimmy would get a tour card every year no matter his form. Even long after his death.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:

Jimmy White may not need to be gifted a card as he is currently on track to earn a 2-year card as one of the highest 4 earners on the 1-year list of those finishing outside the top 64.