Post a reply

Re: Jimmy white to get biopic

Postby Dan-cat

This is interesting.

Unfortunately all snooker films so far have been dreadful... low budget affairs made by numpties. Change my mind. (And no, I'm not including The Color of Money, which is a masterpiece, because it's about 9 ball pool.)

But this one does seem like it will have a proper budget and talent...

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:Looks like someone hasn't seen Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire!

pmsl

Postby Womble

Dan-cat wrote:This is interesting.

Unfortunately all snooker films so far have been dreadful... low budget affairs made by numpties. Change my mind. (And no, I'm not including The Color of Money, which is a masterpiece, because it's about 9 ball pool.)

Surely you can't mean this one. It's called Number One.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087822/

Its a classic. It contains a scene where the two quarter finalists of the World Chanpionship have a fight in the Crucible arena with Ted Lowe commentating on it.

You can't get better than that. <laugh>

Postby SnookerEd25

I see it also has Jack Lisowski, Liang Wenbo ( :chin: ) and Rob Walker playing themselves.

:chin:

Postby Holden Chinaski

CaldoTheKid wrote:https://deadline.com/2024/03/steven-waddington-jimmy-white-snooker-biopic-aneurin-barnard-ray-winstone-1235868323/

Good to see they got Diana Ross to do the soundtrack.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan is right, of course - all snooker films have been absolutely terrible and the Colour of Money (like the Hustler before it) is a masterpiece.

This should differ, largely because I suspect there’ll be very little actual snooker in it. I read his (auto?) biography ‘Behind the White Ball’ 20-odd years ago and thought what a good film it would make but that featured very little snooker but many stories of ‘colourful’ characters around the small-hall snooker scene. Basically, his early life was like one long Minder episode and should make for very interesting viewing.

Actually, not ALL snooker films were terrible - the Rack Pack was pretty good as a tongue-in-cheek look at the characters of the 80s. Did you see that, Dan?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Dan is right, of course - all snooker films have been absolutely terrible and the Colour of Money (like the Hustler before it) is a masterpiece.

This should differ, largely because I suspect there’ll be very little actual snooker in it. I read his (auto?) biography ‘Behind the White Ball’ 20-odd years ago and thought what a good film it would make but that featured very little snooker but many stories of ‘colourful’ characters around the small-hall snooker scene. Basically, his early life was like one long Minder episode and should make for very interesting viewing.

Actually, not ALL snooker films were terrible - the Rack Pack was pretty good as a tongue-in-cheek look at the characters of the 80s. Did you see that, Dan?

Of course!!! Watched it many times. Yes that was not bad at all. I stand corrected.

I remember Bazza having the hump because it only came out on iPlayer, and wasn't on the main BBC channels.

Postby SnookerEd25

I watached on I-player, but didn’t realise it hadn’t had an outing on terrestrial. That’s criminal, man :sad:

Postby SnookerFan

I think it was on one of the BBC Channels, but when it was like three or fours years old.

Might misremember that. I know it debuted on the I-Player. But I have a feeling they did put it on a main channel at least once, ages after it premiered.

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:I think it was on one of the BBC Channels, but when it was like three or fours years old.

Might misremember that. I know it debuted on the I-Player. But I have a feeling they did put it on a main channel at least once, ages after it premiered.

I don't think it took that long. But my memory is pretty fuzzy.

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I think it was on one of the BBC Channels, but when it was like three or fours years old.

It was later that year lol

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

It was later that year lol

I said I might be misremembering. :grrr: