Topic locked

Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Witz78

and some other news too :hatoff: on the World Snooker site.

Hearn: Snooker's Got Talent!18th April 2011
World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn made several announcements at the Crucible this morning...including plans for a new version of Snooker Loopy!


In a press conference, Hearn announced:



Prize money for the 2011/12 season will total over £6m



The Premier League and Championship League will be sanctioned and included in the World Snooker calendar



A new format for the Premier League gives all players the chance to qualify, as it will include the defending champion, the winner of Championship League, and the winners of major events. The ten players for the 2011 Premier League will be:



Ronnie O'Sullivan (defending champion)
Matthew Stevens (Championship League winner)
Ali Carter (Roewe Shanghai Masters)
Neil Robertson (12BET.com World Open)
John Higgins (12BET.com UK Championship)
Ding Junhui (Ladbrokes Mobile Masters)
Mark Williams (German Masters)
Shaun Murphy (PartyCasino.com PTC Grand Finals)
Judd Trump (Bank of Beijing China Open)
Plus the winner of the Betfred.com World Championship, if not already qualified, otherwise Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Champion Jimmy White.



Matches will be four frames with a 20 second shot clock.



Sky have agreed to show the Shoot-Out for the next three years.



The World Cup in Bangkok will have teams of two. The cut-off point for selection for the top teams will be the end of the Betfred.com World Championship. So English, Scottish and Welsh players are all aiming to win a place in the World Cup team by doing well at the Crucible. The World Cup will be a bi-annual event, and other countires have already shown an interest in staging it.



A new version of the song Snooker Loopy is planned for release in the Autumn. We're looking for eight young players to take part. Hearn said: "You've seen Britain's Got Talent, this will be Snooker's Got Talent!"

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby wheelsofsteel

"A new version of the song Snooker Loopy is planned for release in the Autumn. We're looking for eight young players to take part. Hearn said: "You've seen Britain's Got Talent, this will be Snooker's Got Talent!"

Is this not just Pot Idol revisited?

I do love original thinking

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Witz78

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:If someone like Selby wins the World Title then White is out.

Who are they going to get for Snooker Loopy? Not just the players but whoever is going to write it, produce it and perform it with the players.


ill hazard a guess at

Trump
Ding
Robbo
Ronnie
Murphy
Selby
Lisowski
Allen

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Witz78

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Who will be the Chas & Dave of this one? Break the bank and get Snoop Dogg (Snook Dogg!!!!) on it. He's such a huge hussy nowadays he'd appear on anything.


Selby could draft in his pals Kasabian?

Dale could draft in his pals The Village People?

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:Having White there will do nothing for this tournament. I tell you, any excuse to ahve him there <doh>

lets hope Hendry wins the WC just to snake hiss off White and Witz <laugh>

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Wildey

yes these rules wont do anything to enhance the PL it will de value it but because its exho anyway i dont mind.

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Tubberlad

gallantrabbit wrote:Gawd - Jimmy's possible inclusion will wind up a few...
I like to see it even if he only deserves it for his popularity. Hope he can do himself justice...

Out of interest, had Peter Ebdon won the seniors, would HE have got a place. I think not.

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby wheelsofsteel

Tubberlad wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Gawd - Jimmy's possible inclusion will wind up a few...
I like to see it even if he only deserves it for his popularity. Hope he can do himself justice...

Out of interest, had Peter Ebdon won the seniors, would HE have got a place. I think not.


Obviously Barry is looking after the players to the grave and this is just part of Jimmy's retirement plan

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Roland

The fact the World Seniors event was a World Snooker sanctioned event means Jimmy's inclusion is viable assuming one of the other 9 players wins the Worlds. Shame Selby isn't in it, and that's not a fanboy thing, he's ranked 2 in the world after all and it's a 10 man elite field, but so far he's not won a tournament this season so fair enough.

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby SnookerFan

I must say, the Premier League isn't one of my favourite events. The shot clock makes it boring for me, I don't like the fact that you can get draws, and it just feels repetitive being the same format every week. Making it four frames rather then six, won't help either. Can't see me watching any of this, to be honest.

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Roland

4 frames and if it's 2-2 then they play a Shootout frame i.e. 10 minutes, 20 seconds for the first 5, 15 for the last 5 etc etc.

I wonder how the exclusive tv rights will go down with other countries. It means there will be no more World Series type events where independent promotors can hold their own tournaments and sell the rights. Does it cover streaming? Will it affect things like the Snooker Legends live streaming?

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:4 frames and if it's 2-2 then they play a Shootout frame i.e. 10 minutes, 20 seconds for the first 5, 15 for the last 5 etc etc.

I wonder how the exclusive tv rights will go down with other countries. It means there will be no more World Series type events where independent promotors can hold their own tournaments and sell the rights. Does it cover streaming? Will it affect things like the Snooker Legends live streaming?


give this a wide berth thanks anyway Barry :fart: :zzz: :fart: :zzz: :fart: :zzz:

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Roland

Not bothered myself either, if I'm around and it's on I'll watch but not religiously. I am glad they're keeping the shot clock where it belongs and reducing it to 20 seconds. Shot clock snooker is an entirely different game and it should remain that way. Having it at 20 seconds brings it into its own, i.e. the amusement factor of players running around the table.

Re: Jimmy in a TEN man Premier League next season

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The fact the World Seniors event was a World Snooker sanctioned event means Jimmy's inclusion is viable assuming one of the other 9 players wins the Worlds. Shame Selby isn't in it, and that's not a fanboy thing, he's ranked 2 in the world after all and it's a 10 man elite field, but so far he's not won a tournament this season so fair enough.

to be honest if they incorporating shootout rules in to it isn't there more a case for Nigel Bond the shootout champion to be included rather than Jimmy White.