Topic locked

Re: Premier League 2010: Finals Weekend

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:LOL Wild, I don't know why you always "target" Harold... he's neither the slowest guy on the tour, nor the most negative one. I kow his "motionless cue action" tends to make you think your streaming just died on you more often than not but still... I'd nominate Rory Mc Leod for the "slow/negative" tag ;)

Who remembers that Mark King vs Rory McLeod first round match at The Crucible a few years ago? That was pretty grim.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:LOL Wild, I don't know why you always "target" Harold... he's neither the slowest guy on the tour, nor the most negative one. I kow his "motionless cue action" tends to make you think your streaming just died on you more often than not but still... I'd nominate Rory Mc Leod for the "slow/negative" tag ;)

Who remembers that Mark King vs Rory McLeod first round match at The Crucible a few years ago? That was pretty grim.

I do and I remember Janie's comment about it "Despite the two fine physiques at the table ... this is not sexy snooker" ;)

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I do and I remember Janie's comment about it "Despite the two fine physiques at the table ... this is not sexy snooker" ;)

rofl rofl

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:Did you hear the commentators over the weekend? Say that the Premier League was one of the majors. <laugh>

Did this really happen? Who said it?

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:What a willy.

He's in good company ...

Here is a quote of Dave Hendon

People who knock the League seem to think it’s just an extended series of exhibitions without pressure. They should speak to the players, every one of whom regards it as a prestigious event. In fact, they clamour to get in it.

The Premier League has run since 1987 and seen off countless ranking events in the last 23 years.

Live on TV in front of big crowds, it’s a test of temperament, tactics (because of the shot clock) and the ability to think quickly. There’s also big money on offer and this affects a player’s thinking too.

and if needed I'll research the articles about the interviews with Shaun Murphy, Neil Robertson and Mark Selby all saying it is indeed the "fifth" major...

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Fine physiques? Compared to who? Stephen Lee? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:
Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Fine physiques? Compared to who? Stephen Lee? <laugh>

Look who is talking, I know. rofl

Postby Tubberlad

The Premier League is nowhere near being a major tournament. I can't say I even watch it to be honest as it bores me to death. Ronnie O'Sullivan isn't far off being my favourite player, but I'll admit the shot clock is a big advantage to him and I would hate to see it introduced to bigger tournaments.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:Well, it's not as prestigious as Power Snooker. What with Ronnie saying it was the future of snooker, and all.... <doh>

Snookerfan, I'm sure that Sonny's answer to me if I undig the article will be "Yes, well, Selby said that in an interview aiming at promoting the event " which is true. Ronnie said what he said at the promotional lauch of Power Snooker and was of course positive in the post-event interview. What would you expect?

But of course when Ronnie says such thing it's because he's an idiot and he means it 100%. When Selby says something that doesn't suit his views ... he's being smart at an interview. :john:

Fact is the top players WANT to play in PL and DO value the event. Selby was really disappointed to miss it last season and said so repeatedly. It's not a mickey mouse event: it's an elite event, with fellow top players, good money, excellent exposure and playing regularly in front of packed houses. If they didn't like it they could refuse the invitation... I don't think it's ever happened.

Postby Roland

I agree with Hendon's sentiments but that falls well short of calling it one of snooker's majors. You said 5th major Monique - what is the 4th?

Sure there is a lot of money involved and it hosts an elite field but when push comes to shove it's all about lining the players pockets and being a cash cow rather than a top sporting event.

Postby Wildey

Any Event where participants doesn't go on Rankings is not a Major.

Where is Ali Carter ?

last season Hendry was in it and selby not.

and as for the years of the jimmy card and my mate steve well that throws credibility right out of the window Regarding being a "MAJOR".

Postby Roland

It's true, Carter should've played in the PL this time. Williams and Selby both missed out the year after they reached the final in favour of marketing wildcards. Fu got a card ahead of Ding last season and Robbo got a card a couple of seasons ago purely for the potential audience of their homelands. I've nothing against that in principle, it spreads the word of snooker but to refer to it as a major is complete tosh.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:It's true, Carter should've played in the PL this time. Williams and Selby both missed out the year after they reached the final in favour of marketing wildcards. Fu got a card ahead of Ding last season and Robbo got a card a couple of seasons ago purely for the potential audience of their homelands. I've nothing against that in principle, it spreads the word of snooker but to refer to it as a major is complete tosh.

Sonny - I'm finding myself having to agree with you. :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave:

Postby Wildey

Another thing that discredit it is.

if they want it to be a Major then the 4 Semi Finalist invited Back next year and the Bottom 2 Relegated and can not play in it next year.

in 2008 Selby finished Top of the League he was Runner up to Ronnie and was overlooked in 2009 for a player he thrashed in the semi finals.

if this has any hope to be regarded a Major that cant happen.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I agree with Hendon's sentiments but that falls well short of calling it one of snooker's majors. You said 5th major Monique - what is the 4th?

Sure there is a lot of money involved and it hosts an elite field but when push comes to shove it's all about lining the players pockets and being a cash cow rather than a top sporting event.

The article in question was referring to the 4 BBC tournament as being the majors... which isn't of course how snooker fans see it. Therefore they spoke of the "fifth" major.
I agree that in the past some players were in in on pure "marketing" value which IMO is not right.
However Fu was prefered to Ding last year because he was ahead of of him in the rankings actually. And Robbo was invited after the season where he won his first two rankers, and he had been the only one to win two that season.
Ali isn't in it this season because he did not win a tournament last season (this season all players except the defending champion and Fu who won the qualifs had won a tournament last season). I expect him to be there next season though.
So clearly there is a shift in priorities. Last season some matches were really poor and some venues not fully packed. This season there were no "flops" except for Ding's really poor performance.

Postby simplysnooker

Great night last night, shame the final couldn't have been closer but Ronnie was great, Shaun didn't produce his form from the previous night. Overall it's been the best Premier League in years. Here's to the next snooker tournament, 5 days to go!

Postby Smart

anyone know who won the prediction contest for the 2010 Premier League.............................. thanks in advance :)

Its just that I was looking in the obvious place (the roll of honour board) and it has not been filled in yet, please advise Sonny of this missing info. Thx in advance. :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave: