Topic locked

Re: Premier League 2010: Finals Weekend

Postby Casey

<laugh> Aandy Goldstein with regards to the shootout - Williams v Higgins what a game that will be. WTF? Either player might only get one shot

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:<laugh> Aandy Goldstein with regards to the shootout - Williams v Higgins what a game that will be. WTF? Either player might only get one shot

i think the Timing of this should be christmas time.

i remember as a kid there was a Circus on at that time.....this could be a replacement <ok> :redneck:

Postby Casey

aussiewild wrote:
case_master wrote:<laugh> Aandy Goldstein with regards to the shootout - Williams v Higgins what a game that will be. WTF? Either player might only get one shot

i think the Timing of this should be christmas time.

i remember as a kid there was a Circus on at that time.....this could be a replacement <ok> :redneck:

I hope all the journeymen do well in it and earn some decent money.

Postby Casey

aussiewild wrote:this is rubbish from Murphy

Proves last year was a fluke. The rest just make up the numbers for this Exbo.

Postby Tubberlad

O'Sullivan is playing much better now than what he was this time last year. No doubt about that. I think he is a serious contender for the Worlds, I wouldn't have him as my favourite or anything, but I'd have confidence in a decent run at it. Outside of Robertson and perhaps Selby, I still think he's the man to beat.

How much can be read from the Premier League? Not a lot, he's another class to anyone else under the clock, but considering he lost pretty badly to Murphy in last years final, it's still a big improvement.

I'd love to see a fourth World Title, because I think it would be a far better reflection of his standing. As I say, Robbo is still the man to beat, but it ain't beyond O'Sullivan.

Postby GJ

aussiewild wrote:this is rubbish from Murphy

:tvrky:

Postby GJ

well done ronald
a cert He wouLD win just sums up my weekend

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:O'Sullivan is playing much better now than what he was this time last year.

Would not go that far he has been ok but if players dont put you under pressure you can fly.

Murphy Was not there tonight and Robbo not much better yesterday i take nothing at all from this weekend.

Postby Witz78

aussiewild wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:O'Sullivan is playing much better now than what he was this time last year.

Would not go that far he has been ok but if players dont put you under pressure you can fly.

Murphy Was not there tonight and Robbo not much better yesterday i take nothing at all from this weekend.

Hes won 26 out of his last 30 frames against Selby, Williams, Robbo and Murphy !!! Id call that decent form. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
aussiewild wrote:

Hes won 26 out of his last 30 frames against Selby, Williams, Robbo and Murphy !!! Id call that decent form. <ok>

Winning Frames doesent = Decent form.

Ronnies Last 3 Matches Selby,Robbo and Murphy has pit him against players playing rubbish snooker i was at the selby match and Selby was woefull and this weekend been similar.

Postby Monique

I love it Wild ... everytime Ronnie wins it's because his opponents are playing badly? When he loses and says he's not playing great, he's direspectfull, whinning, etc? Selby wasn't woefull, neither was Robbo. I watched both matches and I was In Grimsby. Ronnie kept it tight and put them under pressure, simple as that. Murphy was nervous and that's why he made those mistakes.
Ronnie's form is good enough for him to acknowledge it, which in itself is a very rare occurence. His long potting has improved quite significantly over the last few weeks. He's been seeing Frank Adamson for advice also.
That does not mean he will carry it over to Telford but at least he's feeling a bit more confortable.

Postby SnookerFan

Therein lies the problem with that format. You have what would be undoubtedly an amazing match under most formats, and they've basically said; "Wow, here's an awesome match. Lets reduce it to being ten minutes long." <doh>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I love it Wild ... everytime Ronnie wins it's because his opponents are playing badly? When he loses and says he's not playing great, he's direspectfull, whinning, etc? Selby wasn't woefull, neither was Robbo. I watched both matches and I was In Grimsby. Ronnie kept it tight and put them under pressure, simple as that. Murphy was nervous and that's why he made those mistakes.
Ronnie's form is good enough for him to acknowledge it, which in itself is a very rare occurence. His long potting has improved quite significantly over the last few weeks. He's been seeing Frank Adamson for advice also.
That does not mean he will carry it over to Telford but at least he's feeling a bit more confortable.

monique Selby was the definition of rubbish i was in the bloody audience it was crap.

Murphy yesterday forgot what Pockets Looked Like.

Robbo was not that bad and ill give him Credit for that 5-1 win but Murphy and Selby was marmite with a capital CRAP.

Postby Casey

It is strange why Murphy was so bad given he beat Ronnie in this format last year :huh2: .

With regards to the UK I don’t think this will have any bearing, the UK is not exhibition snooker and there will be a lot of players there who have been playing constant all season and in tip top form.
I have a strong feeling Selby will win it.

Postby Monique

aussiewild wrote:
Monique wrote:I love it Wild ... everytime Ronnie wins it's because his opponents are playing badly? When he loses and says he's not playing great, he's direspectfull, whinning, etc? Selby wasn't woefull, neither was Robbo. I watched both matches and I was In Grimsby. Ronnie kept it tight and put them under pressure, simple as that. Murphy was nervous and that's why he made those mistakes.

monique Selby was the definition of poo i was in the bloody audience it was crap.

Robbo was not that bad and ill give him Credit for that 5-1 win but Murphy and Selby was marmite with a capital CRAP.

You only see what you WANT to see Wild. Selby was not crap. He was outwitted.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
aussiewild wrote:

monique Selby was the definition of poo i was in the bloody audience it was crap.

You only see what you WANT to see Wild. Selby was not crap. He was outwitted.

jesus Christ no god knows what they showed on TV but christ he could not convert any chances what so ever it was abysmal display no wits needed just pot the balls after selby missed.

Postby Roland

Selby v Ronnie: all pressure on Selby, none on Ronnie and Ronnie had his friend the shotclock there to help him. He tied Selby up in a couple of situations he knows he needs time to think his way out of them, got him to use up all his time outs in the first couple of frames and then cantered to the finishing line handing Mark a protest frame along the way.

Get them together in the UK, Masters or Worlds and it would be an entirely different story. Shot clock snooker isn't snooker and that match doesn't mean a thing in the context of a rivalry.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Selby v Ronnie: all pressure on Selby, none on Ronnie and Ronnie had his friend the shotclock there to help him. He tied Selby up in a couple of situations he knows he needs time to think his way out of them, got him to use up all his time outs in the first couple of frames and then cantered to the finishing line handing Mark a protest frame along the way.

Get them together in the UK, Masters or Worlds and it would be an entirely different story. Shot clock snooker isn't snooker and that match doesn't mean a thing in the context of a rivalry.

Sonny, shot-clock snooker IS snooker and one format that asks for a different set of skilss than the long slow burning affairs but a significative set of skills anyway. Selby 2 years ago was top of the table in PL and finalist. So it's not as if the shot-clock is a big handicap to him. What Ronnie did was clever and Selby was outwitted. BTW it's not that match that was Selby's undoing. It was the fact that he couldn't win against Murphy when he should have.
It does mean nothing in terms of rivalry, maybe. But Ronnie did beat him in PTCs twice also this season. A series where Selby has been extremely successfull and there is no shot-clock.

And yes Ronnie did use his strengths, his vision of the game and fast thinking to beat Selby under this format. Is that "worse" than Selby using delaying tactics and unduly long "thinking" time to knock him off his rythm in other ones?
Last edited by Monique on 29 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

I didn't say the PTC doesn't count, I said the Premier League doesn't count. Not for me anyway. Shot clock snooker ISN'T snooker by the way :santa:

Postby Monique

Shot-clock snooker is played by the rules of snooker, so I can't see why it's not snooker. It's snooker. Just like blitz chess is still chess and duplicate scrabble is still scrabble.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I didn't say the PTC doesn't count, I said the Premier League doesn't count. Not for me anyway. Shot clock snooker ISN'T snooker by the way :santa:

Did you hear the commentators over the weekend? Say that the Premier League was one of the majors. <laugh> And of course, the mentioned the old chestnut about bringing Shot Clock snooker in to ranking events. They say that every year, to make it sound like Shot Clocks are the way forward. :roll:

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:I didn't say the PTC doesn't count, I said the Premier League doesn't count. Not for me anyway. Shot clock snooker ISN'T snooker by the way :santa:

Did you hear the commentators over the weekend? Say that the Premier League was one of the majors. <laugh> And of course, the mentioned the old chestnut about bringing Shot Clock snooker in to ranking events. They say that every year, to make it sound like Shot Clocks are the way forward. :roll:

Sky pays them to talk out of their backsides. Goldstein was on about the excitement of the ball in hand rule for the Shoot Out and Murphy even said he thinks it should be a permanent rule change. It's getting to the point where someone has to say hold on a bucking minute you gobshites, you are in no position to do anything about changing the rules of snooker so just button it and focus on what you're meant to be focussing on.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Sky pays them to talk out of their backsides. Goldstein was on about the excitement of the ball in hand rule for the Shoot Out and Murphy even said he thinks it should be a permanent rule change. It's getting to the point where someone has to say hold on a bucking minute you gobshites, you are in no position to do anything about changing the rules of snooker so just button it and focus on what you're meant to be focussing on.

Well, it's a fair point. They've only shown the Premier League over the last few years. So, why do they keep telling us to what the rules should be? :roll: I doubt they pay Andy Goldstein to talk bullocks, mind. He seems to manage to do pretty well at that by himself. Granted, you could probably say the same thing about Murphy. <laugh>

They even got Willie Thorne at it one year. He said they should introduce shot clocks to rankers, and put a lot of major ranking events on Sky. My friend who doesn't have Sky was furious when I told them that.

Postby Wildey

yes its snooker enjoyable snooker but we got to think of how car crash it will be in mainstream tournaments where you got Dave Harold playing.

ive said before its a shot clock not a pot clock so nothing at all stopping Dave frustrating players to rubbish with negative roll ups in 25 seconds because his career on the line and he cant think of a positive shot in that time without it getting panicky.

Postby Monique

LOL Wild, I don't know why you always "target" Harold... he's neither the slowest guy on the tour, nor the most negative one. I kow his "motionless cue action" tends to make you think your streaming just died on you more often than not but still... I'd nominate Rory Mc Leod for the "slow/negative" tag ;)

Postby Wildey

but point is the same lol

in the league you got 7 of the best players and this years league was far better than last year in standard. so in ranking tournaments you got 32 at the venue and 96 in total they will play to their strengths and if that means frustrating Ronnie or faster players that what they will do in Shot Clock Rankers where in the League it is more attack minded but that's the format and what it means to a players career which is basicly nothing where as Ranking tournaments will mean something.