Topic locked

Re: It's Robbo v Selby tonight

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:About bloody time.

Come on Selby :D

in this format id back selby against most so i dont hold much chance for Robbo.

but if he does win under this format against Selby it shows how much improved he is.

Postby SnookerFan

Am I missing something? Why is this match particularly worthy of note? Have they never played before? Or was there a significant match they played that I can't instantly call to mind?

Postby Snookered

I don't think they have played before mate, or at least I can't remember of it. I'm pretty sure this will be a classic. I reckon Selby just has enough to edge him though, 4-2.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Am I missing something? Why is this match particularly worthy of note? Have they never played before? Or was there a significant match they played that I can't instantly call to mind?

its unbelievable considering where they are in the sport and the tournaments they won over the last 4 years but no i dont think they played before.

Postby SnookerFan

I remember one time Shaun Murphy played Ronnie once in a tournment, and the only time they'd played previously ws in the PL.

Does the PL count towards their head to head?

Postby Roland

Yes it will do. And the only time i can remember Murphy and Ronnie playing in a ranking event was the 2007 Grand Prix semi-final and it was a classic.

Maybe Robbo and Selby have played each other when they were both languishing in the 16-32 bracket in the early to mid 2000s but remembering how the draws pan out those in that bracket only meet if they win through against the top 16 player in the first round proper. I certainly can't ever remember them playing each other. Of course Graeme Dott ruined the chance of them meeting in the World Final this year. Me and GJ were both gagging for that final but alas the dream didn't happen.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Yes it will do. And the only time i can remember Murphy and Ronnie playing in a ranking event was the 2007 Grand Prix semi-final and it was a classic.

Maybe Robbo and Selby have played each other when they were both languishing in the 16-32 bracket in the early to mid 2000s but remembering how the draws pan out those in that bracket only meet if they win through against the top 16 player in the first round proper. I certainly can't ever remember them playing each other. Of course Graeme Dott ruined the chance of them meeting in the World Final this year. Me and GJ were both gagging for that final but alas the dream didn't happen.

That sounds right. I know it was at least a couple of years back, and the Grand Prix sounds about right. Can't really remember much about the match, other then the commentators saying it was the only non-PL meeting between the too. I take it that was the year Marco Fu beat Ronnie in the final.

Postby Roland

Yeah, Murphy was ahead for most of the match if I remember correctly and Ronnie dug in and edged it 6-5. It was very high quality and exciting. I remember watching it at my mums house not long after my dad died and it reignited my passion during the grieving period.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Yeah, Murphy was ahead for most of the match if I remember correctly and Ronnie dug in and edged it 6-5. It was very high quality and exciting. I remember watching it at my mums house not long after my dad died and it reignited my passion during the grieving period.

Sorry to hear that Sonny. I complain about having moved back in with my parents for a few months whilst my house buying goes through, but makes you think how lucky I am. I know what you mean though, I remember watching some boxing on the BBC the day my uncle died. Audley Harrison was fighting and also Danny Williams. If I remember rightly their respective opponents were Rob Calloway and Sin Simil Sam.

These things can help you grieve. I'll crack open another beer for you in a moment. <ok>

Postby Roland

Cheers SnookerFan but it was a fair while ago now. He died June 2007 and the Grand Prix was October 2007 if I remember rightly. The match was certainly inspirational for me at the time, I remember that much.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Cheers SnookerFan but it was a fair while ago now. He died June 2007 and the Grand Prix was October 2007 if I remember rightly. The match was certainly inspirational for me at the time, I remember that much.

:bowdown: