Post a reply

York ciu season 2013/14

Postby killamabob

The new season is upon us with our opening game this Thursday.
We've already had one season in division 1, and achieved our goal of avoiding relegation, which we did fairly comfortably.
Peter "Helmsley Hitman" Rivis has taken a step back this season, acting as our reserve due to work commitments. Our team this season will be myself, Roland "The Shuttle" Cox, Andi "Buffet Destroyer" Ireland, and our new recruit Ashley Hugill (who we need a nickname for please if anyone has any suggestions) :)
Ashley is an exciting recruit for us who we are hoping will be one of the best players in the league. He recently was runner up in a Leeds pro am, defeating Peter Lines 3-2 in the semi final, only days after Lines beat Ronnie in Donny 4-1!
So here's to our new campaign, starting with a tough opener.
I reckon if myself, Roly and Andi have a strike rate of around 60% each, we will be up there or thereabouts this season.
Wish us luck!

Re: York ciu season 2013/14

Postby Roland

2-2 about fair first match. Ashley played well to win, I was lucky to win and James was unlucky to lose. Lost by 10 on the aggs.

Postby Roland

http://www.communigate.co.uk/york/yorkc ... age5.phtml

We are Burnholme A.

3 frames per match, aggregate scores count. So last night Jim lost by 18 (level on blue and stuck them up), I won by 5 (cleared from blue) and Ashley won by 3. So that's 2-1 in frames but lost a point on aggs. In the second half of the season there are 5 points available, the same 4 as first round but also a point for overall across the two matches.

Playing for aggs really adds something different. Obviously you have to play down to the black but if you're last man you sometimes have to take the match score into account. I heard a story last night about both players in one last match playing on for snookers! It's a bit of a headfuck because you can have several options. Last night Tim chose to pot blue to black for the point against Ashley instead of playing for snookers 21 behind 18 on. Last season I conceded on the black thinking the match score was decided but it turned out we were 7 behind on the aggs not 8 as I thought. Luckily the other team were sporting and allowed us to play on and I got the black for half a point.

Postby killamabob

No complaints with the result this week. I think we'll get stronger as the season progresses and the early signs from our new recruit are very good.
Happy captain!

Postby killamabob

Second game of the season tonight. Home against the current champs.
Its Roly, Ashley and myself again. Feeling confident we can get a result so fingers crossed!

Postby Roland

Must've crossed fingers with both hands the amount of bad luck we had tonight. 4-0 defeat just over 100 on the aggs. Didn't tell the story though, fair result would've been 3-1 loss by about 30.

Just to have a moan and use Shotmaker at the same time, I was 22 down and potted a good brown to leave a drop in blue. Except the last couple of feet of travel on the white went like this

How can you drop blue in after that? So I hit it with enough pace to take out the roll off and this happened:

Had to laugh, left free ball as well, perfect angle on black to get back up for blue. Well I didn't remember that bit when I drew diagram but it was natural angle with a bit of screw. Anyway, summed up our night really but South Bank are a good side and a good set of lads.

Postby killamabob

Odd night, but we're still a work in progress. Ashley's still finding his feet with the format, and I'm hardly practicing at the moment.
We'll get some nights where we get the run of the ball, tends to even itself out over the season.

Postby killamabob

Had the first leg of a cup game on Monday and won 3-1. Need 2 frames in the return leg to go through, but because of the aggregate effectively one frame will be enough.
No match this Thursday which means I can finally rest and try and get over this chest infection!
Ashley makes his SBC debut this weekend, so am wishing him a decent run in that

Postby Roland

Absolutely, good luck to Ash in the SB Classic. Will have to get a seperate topic set up for his events

Postby killamabob

Canceled league game last week, and have now successfully negotiated 2 legs of our first round cup tie.
At home tonight versus Thirsk, and a win certainly wouldn't go amiss to really kick our season into gear

Ashley's SBC debut was steady, winning his first match 4-3 from 3 nil down, but losing in the second round both days to players who qualified through for finals day quite comfortably. There's more to come from Ashley I feel when he finds his feet in those events.

No Ashley though tonight, and with Andi still working nights, it's myself, The Shuttle and The Helmsley Hitman.

Postby killamabob

No updates on our progress for a couple of weeks so here goes with bringing things up to date:

We beat Thirsk 4-0, probably a touch on the fortune to get all 4 points but we deserved the win. A very assured, take no risks whatsoever, performance from Mr Safety himself, Pete Rivis. Roly stepped in to take out there best player with a fantastic dead weight fluked black. I could barely hit the cue ball with my cue most of my frame, then pulled out a heavenly 18 dish against the odds.

Onto the week after at Fulfordgate. Ashley up first, and thanks to early runs of 40 and 29, was 70 up with 5 reds left. Although only won by about 50 in the end. Roly produced a very solid frame and never looked in trouble. And I finished off with probably by most solid match frame for some time to wrap up a very comfortable 4-0.

So, our most recent match at Railway Institute. Roly couldn't play due to be being out the snake hiss (careless), so in stepped Andi Ireland for his first game of the season in our league. Although he had been producing good results in the York Con league so far this season so we were expecting a solid display and that's what we got.
His opponent playing near faultless to begin, but Andi found his stride and finished far the stronger and potted a good pink and black to win.
Ashley looked solid, and a couple of missed blacks off the spot aside, did very little wrong. And so it was to me to be anchor man again. And in a frame which was almost a carbon copy of Andi's, my opponent looked very good without me doing much wrong, and half way through I was just hoping not to lose by more than 42, thus losing the agg point and drawing the match 2-2. Once getting into the frame I was potting clean and pulled out some good safety and laid some good snookers and found myself in a winning position when presented with an opportunity to sink pink and black. Two good pots and the match was ours 4-0

So there we are, 12 points from 12, and in a strong position in the table. At home this week to South Bank A. A solid team, so a match that could go either way. But we're on a roll and that can be invaluable in this league.

Postby Roland

12 from 12 is now 18 from 20. We are on a roll! The only 2 points dropped were black ball games.