Post a reply

Maui's Snooker League Results 2010/2011

Postby Maui

My league kicks off tonight. We have to play last years champions first game. We finished runners up to them last year, but a fair way off. Hopefully tonight will lay down a good marker for the season.

We use 4 players in a match, each playing a best of 3 match. Two players play home & 2 play away, so every venue is used every week. 1 point awarded per B.O.3 match won, with a bonus point for most frames won over the night. So, a total of 5 points to play for.

I'm playing home tonight, will let you know how me and the team get on.

Re: Maui's Snooker League Results 2010/2011

Postby Maui

Well, not the result we were looking for, but a good match all the same. Always is against this particular team, as were all quite good mates. We had two 2-1 defeats, one 2-0 defeat, and a 2-1 victory. Means we lost 4-1 overall.

My match was one of the 2-1 defeats. Three blackball frames would you believe it! I played a guy called called Craig Johnston Allen (Marks brother, & an ex-pro in his own right). Was a real battle, but both produced pretty good match snooker. I came from 40 down totaele the first on the black. He then came from 30 down to take the 2nd on the black. Then in the deciding frame I came back from 60 down with 59 on table, only to rattle a difficult final black into the middle, leaving it set up for him to tap in.

In all honesty though, i really enjoyed that match & I probably won't have one that dramatic again all season!
Was playing the final black ball over in my head all night though! Lol

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Maui wrote:Indeed it was. Just glad were back up and running now after a 5 month break!
Do you play in a local league?

No I don't. The leagues here start in January. I will be playing in over 40's comps which start later this month, I think, & also some Open's too. :)

Postby Witz78

Maui wrote:Well, not the result we were looking for, but a good match all the same. Always is against this particular team, as were all quite good mates. We had two 2-1 defeats, one 2-0 defeat, and a 2-1 victory. Means we lost 4-1 overall.

My match was one of the 2-1 defeats. Three blackball frames would you believe it! I played a guy called called Craig Johnston Allen (Marks brother, & an ex-pro in his own right). Was a real battle, but both produced pretty good match snooker. I came from 40 down totaele the first on the black. He then came from 30 down to take the 2nd on the black. Then in the deciding frame I came back from 60 down with 59 on table, only to rattle a difficult final black into the middle, leaving it set up for him to tap in.

In all honesty though, i really enjoyed that match & I probably won't have one that dramatic again all season!
Was playing the final black ball over in my head all night though! Lol

doesnt that aggregate of results mean yous lost 3-1, not 4-1 ???

Postby Maui

No because it's always out of 5 points. You get a point for each match won, plus the team with the most wins gets a bonus point. If the matches are two each, then it comes down to frames won to make it 3-2 overall. If frames are equal, then match is tied 2.5-2.5

Postby Maui

Sorry for the delay guys, but I was away at the Munich Oktoberfest last week, so couldn't report anything.
Right, got 2 updates for you:

Last week, in my absence, my team beat the champions from 2 seasons ago 3-2. Highest break of the night came from one of my players when his 68 helped him to a 2-0 win.

This week saw us draw 2.5-2.5 with last seasons 5th placed team, a result we're a little disappointed with. Especially me, as I lost 2-0. To be honest, I deserved it as I didn't play well at all & my opponent was the far better player on the night. This is now my worst ever start to a season in my 14 years of league snooker. Never before have I lost my first 2 matches, and that means I now have to drop myself for next weeks match.

Highest break this week again goes to my player with a 41, to follow up from his 68 last week.

So, after 3 matches we're now 8th in the table (out of 14), already 6.5 points off the top placed team (last seasons champions). Although, we have played last seasons 1st, 3rd & 5th best teams. So, in theory it should get easier from here on in! Lol.

So, until next week.................

Postby randam05

Unlucky maui! Better luck next time. Keep us updated. Even if I am the only one reading this topic. <ok>

Love reading league match updates. :)

Postby Maui

Gave my season the kickstart it needed last night. Had the preliminary round for the Bristol Open, which I successfully negotiated 3-0. Hit a nice 88 in a practice frame after, rattling the black trying to screw up to the yellow. Just got to transfer this form into the league now ;-)

Postby Maui

Well, not much to report on my personal progress as I dropped myself for last weeks match due to losing the week before. The 4 guys stepped up to the plate though and all recorded 2-0 wins, so our team won 5-0. Moved us up to 4th or 5th in the table, but more importantly closed the gap on the leaders to 4 points.
Back in the side this Tuesday though, as someone is on holiday. Playing one of the promoted teams, so hoping for a good win :)

Postby Maui

Last night we recorded our second consecutive 5-0 victory, with all 4 of us winning. I was the only person to drop a frame, winning my match 2-1. Fairly happy with my performance to be honest. Lost a tight first frame on the black, but then I stepped up a gear and won the next two convincingly (both with about 3 or 4 reds left).

Breaks-wise I hit a 51 in the decider, potted the black & screwed into the pack. Reds split lovely, but didn't land on one, so had to roll safe :(
My teammate took the honours for best match of the night though, as he recorded breaks of 58, 51, & 30 in his 2-0 win.

This result moves us up to 3rd in the table, 1 point off 2nd & 4 points off top (who also won 5-0 last night)

Big individual match friday night in the preliminary round of the Premier Division Singles. I've been drawn against my teammate (the one who hit the breaks this week). I won the last match we played, but he also destroyed me 3-0 in this competition last year in the Quarter Finals. Still, hoping we both play well & have a good match.

Postby Maui

Managed to pull out a performance in my individual match on Friday night, winning 3-1. Went 1-0 down, then 2-1 up. He was struggling a bit, but then hit some form in the 4th, recording a break of 46. This put him 51 up with 43 on the table, with the momentum now firmly in his favour going into the decider.
I carried on though in pursuit of the 2 snookers I required, & potted a red & black before laying a snooker on the final red. He missed it & left a free ball. So I was now 39 down with one red left. I then took yellow (free ball), blue, red, pink & the 6 colours for a 40 clearance to take the frame & match by a point! I was over the moon! Bring on the next round now ;)

Postby randam05

Maui wrote:Managed to pull out a performance in my individual match on Friday night, winning 3-1. Went 1-0 down, then 2-1 up. He was struggling a bit, but then hit some form in the 4th, recording a break of 46. This put him 51 up with 43 on the table, with the momentum now firmly in his favour going into the decider.
I carried on though in pursuit of the 2 snookers I required, & potted a red & black before laying a snooker on the final red. He missed it & left a free ball. So I was now 39 down with one red left. I then took yellow (free ball), blue, red, pink & the 6 colours for a 40 clearance to take the frame & match by a point! I was over the moon! Bring on the next round now ;)

WOW :clap: , thats very good maui! brilliant. Keep it up and look forward to hearing yor results from the next round.

Postby Roland

The professionals make a clearance like that look easy but I know when I'm playing that the pressure builds with each shot as you know it's going to hurt the opponent and make you feel good if you can finish it.

Postby Maui

Week 6:

Third consecutive 5-0 for us, moves us up to 2nd in table, only 2 points off 1st place.
My match was quite good, and I managed to come from 50 down in deciding frame (again!! becoming a bit of a habit this season!), to sneak a 2-1 win on the pink. Both of us played well, he hit a couple of 40's & I had a couple of 30's, but the safety & general match play was also very good.

Week 7:

Bad week for us this week. We had to play the other team from our club. Always a good night against them, with the 2 tables playing side by side so you can see how your away players are getting on also. Plus, were all good mates, so adds to the rivalry as we both want the bragging rights of the club. We mangaged to beat them both times last season, but they got their revenge this week with a 4-1 win.
All were tight matches that could have gone either way, but they snuck them. The one that hurt though was my brothers match. He was 1-0 up & had a chance for a 2-0 with a mid-range pink. This would of given us a 3-2 win overall. As it was, he rattled the pink & left it in the jaws for his opponent to tap in, & with the black hanging over the bag 1-1 was a formality. The guy then went on to take the decider (giving them the 4-1).
I didn't play this week. I've still not earned my place back in the team after my loss a month ago! I've only played the past 2 weeks because my teamate has been on holiday. He's now home, & claimed his place back :-(

On the individual front, I've got my next round match on Monday night. It's a good player I'm up against, but I'm feeling confident & am going to predict a 3-1 victory (hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass! Lol)

Postby Maui

Solid performance on monday in my individual match. Managed a comfortable 3-0 win, with a few mid-range breaks thrown in. I'm lined up to play the leagues best player in the next round, so that should be a good challenge.

In our league match this week we got back to winning ways, beating the bottom club 4-1. Should really have been a 5-0, but 1 of their players pulled out a performance. I managed a 2-0 win in my match.
The good news is that the team at the top lost 3-2, so we gained 2 points on them. We now sit in joint second with 2 other teams (who are playing each other next week), 3 points off the top team.

On another note, the seasons highest break was made this week. One of the guys hit a 101, so fair play to that.

Postby randam05

Very good maui, sounds like you pulling off some quality wins! I wish my matches were more than one frame, so I could get settled and hit some good breaks instead of 20s and 30s.

Anyway good luck in your next match and keep it up.

Postby Maui

Thanks, both myself and the team are doing quite well at the moment.

Yes, I do like the format that we play, it allows you time to settle into the match. Although I have played in single frame teams before, & it is also good. It's just important to start quickly out of the blocks.

Postby Maui

Couple of results to update you with:

Last week we won 4-1, I didn't play. The point dropped though meant I was back in the team for this weeks match.
Tonight we also won 4-1. I won my match 2-1. It wasn't a very good standard if I'm completely honest, it was one of those 'battle hard' matches that lasted 2 hours!!! Was quite relieved to get through it to be honest.
We are now joint second with one other team, and we play them next week. We've closed the gap on first place though to just 2 points now.
Also got a league individual match on Thursday, and half of next Tuesdays match on Friday night (2 of their players can't make it next Tuesday). So, a lot of snooker this week!

Takes me up nicely to the weekend, when I'm off to Wolverhampton, as I have tickets for the Grand Slam of Darts Final! Front table too :)

Postby Maui

Won my individual last night 3-0, pretty comfortable throughout to be honest. Through to last 16 now.

Also played half of next Tuesdays match tonight. I won 2-0 again, hit a 44 in second frame.
My teamate won 2-1. It was a really good match. His opponent hit a 66 in 2nd frame, & my guy hit a 70 in decider!!

That's 9 in a row for me now in all competitions, (22 frames won, 4 lost), so going well at the moment :)

Postby Maui

My teammates completed our match this week. One if them won 2-0, the other lost 2-0. Means we ended up 4-1 winners. Was a big win for us, as the team we played were joint second with us in the league, and were the only unbeaten team in the division. So, we're now second on our own, 3 points clear of them in 3rd place.
The top placed team won 5-0 though, so they've moved from 2 to 3 points clear of us now.

Postby Maui

Week 12 produced another 4-1 win for us. That's 5 or 6 in a row now I believe.
It was especially sweet this week, as it came against our bogey team. In our 10 previous matches with this team, over the last 5 seasons, we've never beaten them! Had a few draws & 3-2 losses, but never managed to pull out a victory. Strange how it works, as they were the only team we've never beaten, & although they're a fairly decent side, I would only place them as about the 6th best team in the division. Still, that's the monkey off our backs now! Lol
As for my part in the match, I won 2-0, taking my winning streak to 10 in all competitions. Have 1 more league match and 2 individuals before the Xmas break now, so hopefully can keep the run going.
The top placed team actually lost this week 3-2, so we managed to gain 2 points on them. We now sit only 1 point behind them, with 3rd place 3 points behind us.

As it stands:

1st 43.5 pts
US 42.5 pts
3rd 39.5 pts