Post a reply

Witz78's snooker results - season 2010/11

Postby Witz78

Right ive set up my own thread within the local leagues section.

My first match in the local league starts tomorrow night so i will document my match performances, results, breaks, league tables etc here.

I will also keep yous posted as to my big money singles matches and other mini weekend leagues / tournaments with mates that i play in.

My final warm up for the league last weekend saw me lose a narrow match 10-8 to a mate for a couple of hundred quid.

I bedded in my old favoured cue well though so im in confident mode ahead of my opening league match tomorrow.....

Re: Witz78's snooker results - season 2010/11

Postby Roland

What's your highest break witz? You've not filled that bit out in your profile. I expect you're close to a century break maker?

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:What's your highest break witz? You've not filled that bit out in your profile. I expect you're close to a century break maker?

I wish, 73's my best. If i played more often im sure i could step it up a bit or even if i could be hassled practising on my tod but i find that pretty sad to do when your at my level. You always see these guys in clubs and you cant help but watch them assuming their almost a pro standard only for them to miss the shots you do.

Im pretty natural and can pot for fun when im in form but probably play the wrong shots too often instead of the safer pots.

Always good for a good few 30-40 breaks in matches though which at the standard i play at is enough to keep me in contention.

2 biggest regrets in life?

from about age 3 onwards i played on a 6 x3 table non stop so got to a decent standard then played on a full size table regularly at a relations house as well as in the clubs from about age 8 but i dunno what happened but i fell out of love playing snooker for a few years around 12 i think when i got right into football and by the time i returned i was never as consistent.

and i used to do the go-karting quite seriously (pushed by my dad obviously) as an 8-12 year old but then gave that up. Who knows what might have been !?!

Postby Witz78

STRANRAER & DISTRICT SNOOKER LEAGUE - WEEK ONE -

WITZ78 3-0 OPPONENT

Im buzzing after that performance, most confident ive played in a while and i romped to a quickfire 3-0 win in under an hour over my more experienced opponent. Key was my potting consistency and in every frame i got in early and was 30-40 points ahead before my opponent scored and every frame was out of sight by the last few reds. Didnt have any negative thoughts, didnt miss a single easy pot and whilst my highest break was only 33, i was constantly hitting and running after 5 or 6 pots leaving my opponent right up against it with some mean safety.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:STRANRAER & DISTRICT SNOOKER LEAGUE - WEEK ONE -

WITZ78 3-0 OPPONENT

Im buzzing after that performance, most confident ive played in a while and i romped to a quickfire 3-0 win in under an hour over my more experienced opponent. Key was my potting consistency and in every frame i got in early and was 30-40 points ahead before my opponent scored and every frame was out of sight by the last few reds. Didnt have any negative thoughts, didnt miss a single easy pot and whilst my highest break was only 33, i was constantly hitting and running after 5 or 6 pots leaving my opponent right up against it with some mean safety.

Did you move any balls about tonight when nobody was looking? ;)

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:

WITZ78 3-0 OPPONENT

Did you move any balls about tonight when nobody was looking?

I will confess as i potted a black in frame 1 stretching over a red i accidently moved it <doh>

However since my opponent was already turned round putting the 7 points for the black on the scoreboard i did the honourable thing and kept quiet <cool>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:

WITZ78 3-0 OPPONENT

I will confess as i potted a black in frame 1 stretching over a red i accidently moved it <doh>

However since my opponent was already turned round putting the 7 points for the black on the scoreboard i did the honourable thing and kept quiet <cool>

<laugh>

You and Higgo would get on well :redneck:

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:

WITZ78 3-0 OPPONENT

<laugh>

You and Higgo would get on well :redneck:

WE DONT GET ON WELL :john:

It was more of a Drago effort by failing to call the foul on myself (im sure 99% of amateur players in my position would do the same if they glanced to the side and saw they could get away with it as their opponent wasnt looking)

As id potted the black it would have been a 14 point swing had i called the foul on myself, let alone the likely mental effect committing such a silly foul woulda had on me for a few minutes.

Postby Roland

Well done witz. <ok>

The entrapment laid out by Casey made me laugh! Fair play though, I've done it myself. :redneck:

So what do you think of Liang Wenbo and the replaced ball in the Joe Swail match back in 2007? (Was it 2007?).

By the way, I'm not taking the snake hiss, well played. 3 frames inside one hour is good going for a proper match, you obviously had the bit between your teeth.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Well done witz. <ok>

The entrapment laid out by Casey made me laugh! Fair play though, I've done it myself. :redneck:

So what do you think of Liang Wenbo and the replaced ball in the Joe Swail match back in 2007? (Was it 2007?).

By the way, I'm not taking the snake hiss, well played. 3 frames inside one hour is good going for a proper match, you obviously had the bit between your teeth.

Yes it was prob around 45-50 minutes actually as must have been about 10 past 7 we got underway and we were done by 8pm at the latest. My opponent kinda crumbled as he was chasing a deficeit in every frame and he went gung ho and started leaving me in with chances and with my confidence increased i was going for any half chance which i might have turned down if id any negative vibes.

Looking back i wouldnt have minded a frame going tight and safety as i love a good old battler and grind of a frame too, but suppose i shouldnt complain at an easy quick win.

2008 WC i think that woulda been? im struggling to remember the incident properly even though i remember so much else about that match, the comeback from 8-12 down by Swail only to lose the decider, Wenbo sitting on the other side of the arena that was in darkness, his entrance into the arena when it wasnt his turn etc

Postby randam05

2008 WC i think that woulda been? im struggling to remember the incident properly even though i remember so much else about that match, the comeback from 8-12 down by Swail only to lose the decider, Wenbo sitting on the other side of the arena that was in darkness, his entrance into the arena when it wasnt his turn etc

Haha thanks! I only play one frame though :-( So anything can happen, especially if im up against a 50 odd handicapper when im on 12 and he gets the run of the balls..which can happen in 1 framers, so I have to play it tactical, which I enjoy most anyway.

Oh how I loved that match so much. One of my favourite matches infact. I love joe swail but I think thats the best we will see of him now, after his run to the welsh final too.. that was fantastic you could see how much it meant to him in his interview. Great character and great guy, met him at that welsh infact, one of my fav players. Also his semi against maguire at the welsh was very tense! :D

Postby Roland

witz - you're the kind of person I love having a match against. We're probably similar standard although you're fresher at the moment but I think we'd have a close game.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:witz - you're the kind of person I love having a match against. We're probably similar standard although you're fresher at the moment but I think we'd have a close game.

yeh itd have to be a long best of 19 grudge match tho. it was an anti-climax only playing 3 frames tonight and such a quick match.

Now i know how some of the pros feel about the PTC and World Open formats rofl

Postby randam05

How do you think i feel with only one frame! but then again we play as a team. Which I dont like much so I enter all the singles tournaments too. Hope to have a good run in one of these this season although I did make the semis of the junior singles last season with a bye <laugh>

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:How do you think i feel with only one frame! but then again we play as a team. Which I dont like much so I enter all the singles tournaments too. Hope to have a good run in one of these this season although I did make the semis of the junior singles last season with a bye <laugh>

yeh thats why i never play in the local pool leagues cos i cant be fussed wasting a whole midweek night stuck in some sh1thole of an old mans pub, all for the sake of getting one or two games of pool.

Im not a team player anyway, despise playing doubles at pool as hate compromising my style of play or having my shot selection compromised. Would rather lose and play the game in my style than win and tip toe my way around the table playing the percentage shots rofl

Yeh im playing World Open in my snooker league, your playing the Sky Shootout in yours Randam rofl

Postby randam05

Its a snooker league..

Yeh im playing World Open in my snooker league, your playing the Sky Shootout in yours Randam rofl

haha too right..wouldnt mind someone posting more about the sky shoot out under its topic please actually as I dont know anything about it really yet.. cheers.

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:Its a snooker league..

haha too right..wouldnt mind someone posting more about the sky shoot out under its topic please actually as I dont know anything about it really yet.. cheers.

yeh i know its snooker mate ur league , i just went off on one about pool rofl

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Witz78 wrote:8pm start to night for my second league game of the season, havent a clue who im playing or what hes like, but im aiming for another 3-0 win !!!

Be Lucky Witz. <ok>

Postby Witz78

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Witz78 wrote:8pm start to night for my second league game of the season, havent a clue who im playing or what hes like, but im aiming for another 3-0 win !!!

Be Lucky Witz. <ok>

cheers John, Id rather be good though......but until then i'll settle for being lucky <cool>

Postby Witz78

STRANRAER AND DISTRICT SNOOKER LEAGUE - WEEK 2[u][/u]

WITZ78 1-2 OPPONENT

Well my old nemesis the dreaded Red Mist descended tonight.
It was the amateurs equivalent of the Ronnie v Ebdon 2005 WC QF.

Straight from the off it became apparant that this guys pace was slower than a snail, his average shot time must have been 30-40 seconds easily. This slowly started to get under my skin and meant that when i finally got to the table, through boredom and frustration i tended to rush my shots.

Frame One - Every shot he played was a safety, eventually i got in and after a few red colours followed by safetys i managed to get in with a decent 36 break that effectively sealed the frame well before the colours with him only scoring 3 points.

Frame Two - I stupidly showed compassion to my opponent early on when he called a foul on himself and let him away with it - think i took pity on him after destroying him in frame 1 - To add insult to injury he played the red which i should have had, had the foul been given and pulled off a decent pot then made 16 off it which immediately rattled me as i saw it as a 20 point swing which was totally my fault. Out of nowhere his negativity vanished and he seemed to be rattling in cracking long pot after long pot which dented my confidence. I started to let thinge get to me, every time he potted was like a dagger through my heart and i started to go kamikaze not playing the percentage shots and leaving him in quite often. Cursing under my breath and slamming my cue began to happen regularly. In the end he beat me 66-2 so it was a virtual mirror image of frame 1 and we entered a decider with him definetly in the ascendancy.

Frame 3 - An early mistake from him saw me with a medium difficult angled pot with the balls at my mercy should i get in. Normally i play these with pace but for some reason decided to roll it deadweight and the inevitable happened and it hung letting him straight in and around 30 points to the good. I started a continuation of the tantrum from Frame 2 and my head continued to stay down and my attitude got poor as i broke down a couple of times on breaks of around 10 when id a real chance to get back into the frame. To compound things, he started getting the run of the ball and it got to the stage i needed SIX snookers on the brown, but cos of the mood i was in, i kept playing on just to snake hiss the guy off in an act of revenge at his go-slow tactics.

I will be back though, make no mistake of that. My next match is Monday night. I will draw inspiration from being up at the World Open all weekend hopefully.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:And your lesson from tonights game?

ER, ALWAYS TAKE THE 4 POINTS IF YOUR OPPONENT CALLS A FOUL ON THEMSELVES rofl

An hour till my match this week, for a laugh whenever i pot the 1st red in a frame im gonna stop and ask what the high break prize is :john: