Post a reply

Snooker Island Grand Prix

Postby chengdufan

This is a call for entries into the second event on this season's Snooker Island calendar - The Grand Prix,

The Grand Prix will take place in August and September. You'll be required to play 2-3 3-frame snooker sessions in August and early September, and possibly 1-2 further sessions in later September, should you advance.

Entrants will be drawn into groups in the first stage and there will be a round robin format.

A match consists of your highest break scores from each frame of your three frame session pitted against your opponent's.

E.G.
Player A's highest breaks in his three frames are 15, 1 and 24.
Player B's scores from his three frames are 16, 14 and 8
We have:
15-16
1-14
24-8
Player B wins the match 2-1

Please reply here or send me a PM if you would like to take part.

Re: Snooker Island Grand Prix

Postby chengdufan

Entries will remain open until the day the Shootout final is complete. I'll make the Grand Prix draw the day after.

We have 7 entries so far:
Juddernaut88
Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer
Pink Ball
Runnig Side
Prop
Acesinc

Postby chengdufan

Last call for entries.

I will make the draw early tomorrow morning (late Friday evening UK time)

Postby chengdufan

We have 8 players and they will be drawn into two groups of 4. The draw will be random, with no seeding.

You will play each player in your group once.

Matches are 3 frames.

To play a match, play a real life 3-frame session of snooker (You can play more frames than that, but only the first three frames will count towards this competition). Your high break in frame 1, high break in frame 2, and high break in frame 3 will be used in this competition. You may not have a 'warm-up' frame.

Your high break in a particular frame can come at any point in the frame unless snookers are required by either player. If you start your break when you or your real life opponent requires snookers, it may not count in this contest.

More on the rules later, I will now proceed to the draw.

Postby chengdufan

I will draw Group 1 position A, then Group 2 position A, then Group 1 position B etc.

Postby chengdufan

Group 1
Acesinc
Pink Ball
Running Side

Group 2
Chengdufan
Rekoons

Postby chengdufan

Group 1
Acesinc
Pink Ball
Running Side

Group 2
Chengdufan
Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer

Postby chengdufan

Group 1
Acesinc
Pink Ball
Running Side
Juddernaut88

Group 2
Chengdufan
Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer

Postby chengdufan

Group 1
Acesinc
Pink Ball
Running Side
Juddernaut88

Group 2
Chengdufan
Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer
Prop

That concludes the draw

Postby chengdufan

Matchday 1

A
Acesinc v Pink Ball
Running Side v Juddernaut88

B
Chengdufan v Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer v Prop

Matchday 2

A
Acesinc v Running Side
Pink Ball v Juddernaut88

B
Chengdufan v Badsnookerplayer
Rekoons v Prop

Matchday 3

A
Acesinc v Juddernaut88
Pink Ball v Running SIde

B
Chengdufan v Prop
Rekoons v Badsnookerplayer

Postby chengdufan

In each match, there are 6 points available. If your frame 1 high break is higher than your opponents frame 1 break, you get 2 points. If the scores are equal, both players get 1 point each.

Position within the group tables will be decided by:
1. Most points
2. Match against opponent
3. Highest break in the competition
4. Second highest break in the competition

Postby chengdufan

If you are interested, to do the draw this time I went to Google, typed in 'random number generator', set the parameters to 1-8, and then used the list of entrants above with Judders as number 1 and me as number 8. When repeat numbers came up, I just kept clicking until a fresh number appeared.

Postby chengdufan

Best of luck to everyone. Happy breakbuilding!

@Iranu, do you mind if me and my opponents send you our scores for matches involving me?

Postby Juddernaut88

Chengdufan is it still okay for me to message you my scores once I've played as we are in separate groups or would you prefer me to message Iranu instead?
Last edited by Juddernaut88 on 31 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

I’m happy to receive everyone’s scores if it makes life easier.

Postby acesinc

chengdufan wrote:...
To play a match, play a real life 3-frame session of snooker (You can play more frames than that, but only the first three frames will count towards this competition). Your high break in frame 1, high break in frame 2, and high break in frame 3 will be used in this competition. You may not have a 'warm-up' frame.

Man, this is gonna hurt. I tend to follow the late, great Bill W. method (he of snooker fame, not the other one) in spirit, if not in volume. I like to take a beer in the first frame (they are rather low alcohol 12 oz. cans, not proper pints), then one per two frames until the fourth or fifth beer where I taper off. Generally about six beers for a longish session (six or seven hours, 15 to 20 frames). So I don't exactly pass out under the table by the end of the night too often.

I tend to peak somewhere between frame 3 and 10. I guess I will be drinking early tonight. :beer: :drunk:

Sadly, I will only have another 2 or 3 sessions with my son after tonight; he is heading back to Uni week after next. After that, it is back to the slog of "hit and run" snooker, untidy tables, colours out of commission. Even if I do well this round with Pink Ball, I won't have much chance going forward. Gonna miss the boy for a few months.

Play well, Pink Ball!

Postby chengdufan

Thanks Iranu :-)

@all If you are playing a match against me, please send your scores to Iranu.
If you are not playing against me, please send your scores to me, to Iranu, or to both of us.

Postby Prop

acesinc wrote:the slog of "hit and run" snooker, untidy tables, colours out of commission

I know this too well. I’m hopefully playing on Thursday, but thankfully against my usual playing partner who tends to play the correct shots (and to a higher standard) so in theory there shouldn’t be too many ruined tables to compete with!

Postby Running side

My first choice playing partner away on holidays for 2 weeks, asked one of the guys in our club for a game next week which he readily agreed to, fellow behind bar then informed me he's just had 4 centuries in 9 frames anybody got some white gloves.