Post a reply

2021 Snooker Island Shootout

Postby chengdufan

2021 Snooker Island Shootout

Entries are now open for the first event on the 2021-22 Snooker Island Challenge Tour calendar, The Shootout!

Entry Deadline: Thursday July 8th
Draw date: Friday July 9th
Predicted Competition Completion Date: Saturday July 31st

How to play a match:
- Play some real life snooker with a real life playing partner.
- In advance of playing a frame, declare it as your Shootout frame
- Note down your highest break in that one frame. The frame must be 'live' when you pot the first ball in the break (i.e. if either player needs a snooker when your break starts, it does not count)
- Send me your high break by private message

Notes:
- Try to play your snooker as you normally would. This contest need not influence your game with your real life playing partner, who ideally will be of a similar playing ability to yourself.
- If you don't score a point in your nominated frame, bad luck!
- Unlike in the World Championship, breaks solely on the colours at the end of the frame can count (as long as the frame is 'live')
- You can play multiple Shootout 'matches' in one real life session. Send me your high break scores from each of your counting frames. For example, your frame 1 high break could be used in your Shootout round one match, your frame 2 high break could be used in your Shootout round two match etc.
Chronological order is important though. The earlier the break, the earlier it will count in this contest. For example, if you get an '8' in your first frame, and then a '25' in your second frame, the 8 would be used in your first round match and the 25 in your second round match should you progress. You may not swap them.
- The format of the contest will be decided when we know how many entrants there are.

Re: 2021 Snooker Island Shootout

Postby chengdufan

If you like playing snooker but are rubbish at it (like me), please do not let that stop you from entering. This is just for fun, and a chance to share and talk about your own play in a more meaningful context.
There are no prizes. It's just for fun.
Honesty is required and expected by the participants.

Postby chengdufan

As you will see from the format, this contest should level the playing field somewhat. The better players are more likely to win matches of course, but each match could certainly go either way. I was the weakest player in the World Championship, which Johnny Bravo recently won. In the World Championship, my chances of beating Johnny would be zero, but in this, I would have a very real chance of winning a match with him.

Postby chengdufan

So we have 6 early entrants:
ChengduFan
Acesinc
Juddernaut88
Deewee
Running Side
Rekoons*

*Rekoons will try to play but may not be able to.

Hoping for at least a few more.
Johnny Bravo?
PLtheref?
Prop?
Pink ball?
Hendry fan?
Badsnookerplayer?

Anyone else?

Postby chengdufan

Things are starting to shape up.

Badsnookerplayer has confirmed his entry, taking us up to 7.

Postby chengdufan

Tiebreakers

If both players in the Shootout match have the same high break, the tiebreak will be decided as follows:
1. Total points scored in the frame
(e.g. Player A and B's high breaks were both 16, but player A won the frame 55-42 and player B won the frame 54-50, player A would win the shootout match)

So, as well as your high break, please also note down how many points you scored in the frame in total.

2. Whoever is drawn as the 'home' player in the random competition draw.
(e.g. the draw comes out as Player A v Player B. Both players have a high break of 12 and both players have a total of 50 points scored in the frame. Player A wins the match having been first out of the hat in the draw)

Postby Running side

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Preparing to play round 1 in an hour

Going for big Bills style 2 pints a frame, I'm playing tomorrow, only played 5 frames in 18 months no expectations at all.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Running side wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Preparing to play round 1 in an hour

Going for big Bills style 2 pints a frame, I'm playing tomorrow, only played 5 frames in 18 months no expectations at all.

Good luck.

My next session is on Sunday

Postby chengdufan

Good to have our World Champion on board.

Entry is still open for one more week.

Postby chengdufan

Pink Ball wrote:I'll actually have to check if my club is even open at the moment! But if it is, I'd be happy to enter.

Good to hear one of our top players might be in :-)
I hope your club is open

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:Do you need someone to obnoxiously shout YELLOW or sing the pink panther theme?

Yes, we do.

Postby Prop

Ok, sign me up. I’ve no idea when I’ll next be playing, but hopefully soon :-)

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Ok, sign me up. I’ve no idea when I’ll next be playing, but hopefully soon :-)

<ok>

Postby chengdufan

Updated entry list:

ChengduFan
Acesinc
Juddernaut88
Deewee
Running Side
Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer
Johnny Bravo
Pink Ball
Prop

Still 6 days for more entries.

Postby chengdufan

Some of you may recall that I'm playing in my work Pool competition. I finished my group matches months ago, but the other players didn't all finish their games until a few weeks ago, so I hadn't played for a while.

Anyway, I got through the group and have played quarter and semi-finals. My form has been blistering, it has to be said. I won the quarters 5-1 and the semi 6-1. I'm not missing. :D

I just hope I can transfer my form to the snooker table for my Shootout match. My snooker form has been patchy at best of late.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Some of you may recall that I'm playing in my work Pool competition. I finished my group matches months ago, but the other players didn't all finish their games until a few weeks ago, so I hadn't played for a while.

Anyway, I got through the group and have played quarter and semi-finals. My form has been blistering, it has to be said. I won the quarters 5-1 and the semi 6-1. I'm not missing. :D

I just hope I can transfer my form to the snooker table for my Shootout match. My snooker form has been patchy at best of late.

Nice one :-) Is snooker form ever not patchy? Even at the top of the game? Form is a fickle thing in our beloved sport!

I suppose long-term form is one thing, Judd for instance being the obvious. He’s pretty much been on form for three seasons now. But any player can go from a match where they couldn’t pot a thing, to a couple of weeks later absolutely flying.

I’m hoping I fly today. Playing in an hour against a mate who’s not really into the game. It’s more of a social thing for him. Which is fine, but it usually means colours off their spots and balls on cushions within a few shots :roll:

I’m making my excuses already <laugh>

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:When do we post our breaks ?
Have you made the draw yet ?

PM Chengdufan with your breaks. I’ve sent him mine, and I’m probably going out first round <laugh>

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:When do we post our breaks ?
Have you made the draw yet ?

PM Chengdufan with your breaks. I’ve sent him mine, and I’m probably going out first round <laugh>

The draw will be made on Friday. We're still open for entries at the moment.
You can send me your scores whenever you like. I've already received scores from 3 players.

Postby chengdufan

Alright then, we have ten compeititors:

ChengduFan
Acesinc
Juddernaut88
Deewee
Running Side
Rekoons
Badsnookerplayer
Johnny Bravo
Pink Ball
Prop

The format will be a straight knockout. 4 players will play in round 1 and 6 players will receive a bye into the second round.

The draw will be random with no seedings.

The first and second names out of the hat, and sixth and seventh names out will play in round one. Third, fourth, fifth, eighth, ninth and tenth get the bye.

The bracket will be fixed after the opening round draw.

I will start the draw shortly (at 7pm China time - in ten minutes)

Postby chengdufan

The start of the draw is delayed, sorry!
My dinner has just been put on the table :hen: