Post a reply

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:Probably not enough to beat Johnny, but delighted with the consistency.

Better than I could do, nice one Pink

Postby chengdufan

Pink Ball wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Results are already in from Aces and Johnny, thanks fellas!
I still have a bit to go, have played 4 of my 9 frames so far. Hopefully will get some more in tomorrow.

In that case, Johnny and I have completed our match.

My top nine were: 64, 51, 48, 42, 39, 36, 35, 29, 26

This is a really outstanding set of breaks Pink Ball. Very impressive!
I will work out the scores and post them in a minute.

Postby chengdufan

So match 4 between Pink Ball and Johnny Bravo is complete.
Here's the result:
Pink Ball 4-5 Johnny Bravo
29-54 (0-1); 51-32 (1-1); 39-97 (1-2); 26-64 (1-3); 36-46 (1-4); 64-28 (2-4); 48-30 (3-4); 42-37 (4-4); 35-51 (4-5)

Postby chengdufan

What an incredibly high standard match to break off the tournament. Well done to both players!
Commiserations to Pink Ball who clearly got a very tough draw.

Some great breaks from both players, with highs of 97 from Johnny Bravo, and 64 from Pink Ball. Could you tell us about these breaks?

In the end, all the frame winning breaks were 40+, which is unbelievable really!!

Johnny's 46 break ultimately decided the match.

Postby chengdufan

A couple more stats for anyone interested.
Johnny's average break size from the nine breaks was 49, while Pink Ball's was 41.
Total points scored: JB 439-370 PB

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:Disappointing standard from Johnny to be honest.

Would’ve kicked hole in this competition in my day. 145 is a hell of a high break.

My highest break is 278.

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:So match 4 between Pink Ball and Johnny Bravo is complete.
Here's the result:
29-54 (0-1); 51-32 (1-1); 39-97 (1-2); 26-64 (1-3); 36-46 (1-4); 64-28 (2-4); 48-30 (3-4); 42-37 (4-4); 35-51 (4-5)

I don't get how you decide which breaks are put together.

by the way, seeing the standard of play, is it too late to withdraw? <laugh>

Postby SnookerEd25

rekoons wrote:
Here's the result:

Yes, I'm confused too (and not a little embarrassed by my efforts on Saturday evening, by comparison) - I thought we were just posting our top 9 breaks; should we be posting frames scores too?

Any chance of a sample template :chin: ?

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
rekoons wrote:
Here's the result:

Yes, I'm confused too (and not a little embarrassed by my efforts on Saturday evening, by comparison) - I thought we were just posting our top 9 breaks; should we be posting frames scores too?

Any chance of a sample template :chin: ?

Just send me the 9 highest break scores, nothing else needed.

I wouldn't worry about your level. I thought I was doing ok but would have been whitewashed 9-0 by either Johnny or Pink! I suspect some professional players would be happy with the run of breaks they got. If you compare Johnny's scores to some pro scores over the last week or so, I'll wager he would have beaten some of them (playing the SIWC format).

Yes, I should probably explain how I got the match result above. See next post.

Postby Dan-cat

Pinkie - how often do you play? Was that your first match in a while and you kicked off with a 64?! You never talk about playing. Hardly ever. I know you are good, but it doesn't seem like you play much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnny - 97?! Was that a TC or did you miss?

This competition is throwing some interesting talking points...

Postby chengdufan

Here's the result:

Johnny Bravo's 9 highest breaks were: 97, 64, 54, 51, 46, 37, 32, 30, 28
Pink Ball's were: 64, 51, 48, 42, 39, 36, 35, 29, 26

So of those 18, the 9 highest comprises 5 of Johnny's and 4 of Pink's. I used those as the 9 frame winning scores and paired them with the remaining 9 break scores to get some 'frame scores'. I then put the frames in a random order.
Nothing scientific about it, just thought it was a more interesting way to present the result :)

Postby chengdufan

Dan-cat wrote:Pinkie - how often do you play? Was that your first match in a while and you kicked off with a 64?! You never talk about playing. Hardly ever. I know you are good, but it doesn't seem like you play much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I would really love to hear from both players about the breaks they remember most clearly from these sets.
What was the situation when you came to the table? Any tricky ones or flukes to keep the breaks going?
Anything particular satisfying like breaking the pack open, or getting position using a lot of side?
How did it break down?
How did your real life opponent play?

Postby chengdufan

I mean really. In a best of 9 pro match that finishes 5-4, 6 50+ and 3 40+ breaks would be indicative of quite a decent standard of match I would say.

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:
Here's the result:

Johnny Bravo's 9 highest breaks were: 97, 64, 54, 51, 46, 37, 32, 30, 28
Pink Ball's were: 64, 51, 48, 42, 39, 36, 35, 29, 26

So of those 18, the 9 highest comprises 5 of Johnny's and 4 of Pink's. I used those as the 9 frame winning scores and paired them with the remaining 9 break scores to get some 'frame scores'. I then put the frames in a random order.
Nothing scientific about it, just thought it was a more interesting way to present the result :)

Ah, I see, you scrambled the remaining breaks, and then put them in random order.
I get it now <ok>

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:I mean really. In a best of 9 pro match that finishes 5-4, 6 50+ and 3 40+ breaks would be indicative of quite a decent standard of match I would say.

I think "DECLINE!" would be an appropriate way to describe the scores that will follow from the other matches <laugh>

Postby SnookerEd25

rekoons wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I mean really. In a best of 9 pro match that finishes 5-4, 6 50+ and 3 40+ breaks would be indicative of quite a decent standard of match I would say.

I think "DECLINE!" would be an appropriate way to describe the scores that will follow from the other matches <laugh>

pffffttt : I aspire to 'decline' :sad:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:Pinkie - how often do you play? Was that your first match in a while and you kicked off with a 64?! You never talk about playing. Hardly ever. I know you are good, but it doesn't seem like you play much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My opponent got in first, but he ran out of position on the black, took on a long blue to the green pocket and missed. Then I cleared up, the reds were nicely spread.

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:Yes, I would really love to hear from both players about the breaks they remember most clearly from these sets.
What was the situation when you came to the table? Any tricky ones or flukes to keep the breaks going?
Anything particular satisfying like breaking the pack open, or getting position using a lot of side?
How did it break down?
How did your real life opponent play?

This might seem weird to you guys, but I'm most proud of my 64 break, even more so than the 97.
The 97 was easier cause the balls were spread. In the 64 I potted all blacks and was dreaming of a maxi. I only had a few loose reds and had to split the pack twice. It worked ok the first time, but not the second time. I landed in an awkward angle, stuck to the cushion and missed the red I was going for. :-(

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Really enjoyed that. Well done Johnny. Even leaving the 97 aside, you were a few points better on nearly every break.

Hope this will run again next year. I’m inspired to practice more!

This pandemic has definitely helped my case a bit from that perspective. I've worked on my cueing. I've always been able to spot the potting angle since I was a kid, but I've had trouble hitting where I'm aiming on long shots due to my poor cueing technique. It's a bit of a jab/poke cue action, like Allen's. I've been working on that during this pandemic. That has given me more chances to make a long red. I've always been very good among the reds, so this coupled with better cueing at long range helped my game.

Postby Pink Ball

Played 14 frames altogether to get the nine breaks, lost 9-5.

Can't remember much about the specific breaks except for the 51: three reds, three blacks and the colours. That and the 64 weren't particularly difficult breaks. With the 64 there were a lot of reds split and the break broke down at the first sign of trouble.

The 35 and the 26 came in the same frame, which was really satisfying actually.

Postby rekoons

Pink Ball wrote:Played 14 frames altogether to get the nine breaks, lost 9-5.

Can't remember much about the specific breaks except for the 51: three reds, three blacks and the colours. That and the 64 weren't particularly difficult breaks. With the 64 there were a lot of reds split and the break broke down at the first sign of trouble.

So you made all those breaks and still lost 9 - 5 :shock: how good is your son? what were his breaks?

Postby chengdufan

For a bit of perspective, I notice that 2 established members of the top 32, Zhou Yuelong and Jack Lisowski both won 5-4. Neither had a break over 50 in any of the 9 frames.
Zhou scored less than 20 total points in one of the 9 frames.
Jack had less than 20 in 3 of his frames.

Postby Pink Ball

rekoons wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Played 14 frames altogether to get the nine breaks, lost 9-5.

So you made all those breaks and still lost 9 - 5 :shock: how good is your son? what were his breaks?

Sorry, it was 8-6.

He is 15. Cue ball is loose, but he consistently makes 40+ breaks and can run for cover quite brilliantly. His breaks would’ve been a few points up on mine, highest was 70+. Hasn’t hit a ton yet but he has been in the 90s a few times.