Post a reply

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby PLtheRef

Very well played JB! Another great performance and congrats on the century. :hatoff:

To win the Semi-Final, I would have needed my three highest ever breaks. In general, very happy with how I've played, in the Semi-Final, my top nine breaks total eclipsed my top nine for the First Round. Certainly felt more confident. The 17 break should have been more though (3 reds, 2 blacks and then ran out of position and missed a tricky brown.

Best of luck to the three left in.

Already said this to ChengduFan by PM but publicly want to say a huge thanks for putting the event on. Really enjoyed competing and playing some snooker over the last few weeks in these uncertain times.

Out of interest, did anyone get me on the +8.5 Handicap ;-)

Postby Johnny Bravo

PLtheRef wrote:Very well played JB! Another great performance and congrats on the century. :hatoff:

To win the Semi-Final, I would have needed my three highest ever breaks. In general, very happy with how I've played, in the Semi-Final, my top nine breaks total eclipsed my top nine for the First Round. Certainly felt more confident. The 17 break should have been more though (3 reds, 2 blacks and then ran out of position and missed a tricky brown.

Best of luck to the three left in.

Already said this to ChengduFan by PM but publicly want to say a huge thanks for putting the event on. Really enjoyed competing and playing some snooker over the last few weeks in these uncertain times.

Out of interest, did anyone get me on the +8.5 Handicap ;-)

:hatoff:

Postby chengdufan

AcesInc's scores are in.
We await SnookerEd25's scores to see who will contest the final with Johnny Bravo.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:Johnny, you need to record yourself playing so we can see :hatoff:

Indeed. Would be nice to see a vid.

:weeds:

I ain't even capable of posting a picture on this forum, let alone a vid. <laugh>
I will try to make one in the future.

Postby chengdufan

If SnookerEd loses, would this be the first ever international snooker tournament final contested by players from the Americas?

Postby SnookerEd25

Therein lies the problem, Chengdufan; I had completed the first five, and was intending to play the others last Saturday night but was down on the south coast during the day, got back later than intended (and was a little bit drunker than intended) so gave the session a swerve.

Now, we are in lockdown for at least a month and I won't be able to complete them.

So ... I could :

Cobble together my nine highest breaks from the five frames played, in order to keep the Championship flowing

or

forfeit the match

or

wait until the lockdown is ended and complete my frames ASAP after this time. Probably not a wise choice, as it
puts the tournament in limbo for who knows how long? (there are rumours in London that we may not be freely moving again this side of Christmas, whilst others maintain a Christmas lockdown is totally unworkable for economic reasons - just taking it one day at a time at the moment - who knows what tomorrow will bring?)

Postby chengdufan

Forfeiting the match isn't an option. Neither is taking the breaks from only 5 frames. That would be unfair.
I can think of three possible options. I'll create a poll and let the island decide.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:Johnny, you need to record yourself playing so we can see :hatoff:

Indeed. Would be nice to see a vid.

:weeds:

I ain't even capable of posting a picture on this forum, let alone a vid. <laugh>
I will try to make one in the future.

Looking forward to it. <ok>

Postby chengdufan

Based on the results of the poll, we will wait until SnookerEd25 can play again before resuming this competition.
We're officially on hold for now.

Postby chengdufan

I've been playing well recently. Had 5 10+ breaks in three frames today.
Haven't had a 20+ since playing in this competition, but my 10+ rate has gone up significantly.
Looking forward to seeing the semi and final scores in the SIWC then setting up a new contest.

Hope England can sort itself out soon!

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:I've been playing well recently. Had 5 10+ breaks in three frames today.
Haven't had a 20+ since playing in this competition, but my 10+ rate has gone up significantly.
Looking forward to seeing the semi and final scores in the SIWC then setting up a new contest.

Well done!

Did you change anything or do you know why it’s been going pretty good lately?

Postby chengdufan

rekoons wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I've been playing well recently. Had 5 10+ breaks in three frames today.

Well done!

I think confidence is the main thing. I took on board some tips from AcesInc, in particular not worrying about it when I start missing, knowing that the form will come given time.
I've been starting off my matches with very poor play, and have had patches of poor play mid-match. Those were affecting me mentally before, but now it simply doesn't bother me.

Another thing which has helped is not drinking. I wasn't drinking during playing, which obviously wouldn't help, but being a bit hungover from the night before definitely had an impact. Physically, I'm finding it much easier to play a long session without the booze in the system.

How's your game going, Rekoons? Are you able to play at all in Belgium?

Postby rekoons

chengdufan wrote:
rekoons wrote:

Well done!

I think confidence is the main thing. I took on board some tips from AcesInc, in particular not worrying about it when I start missing, knowing that the form will come given time.
I've been starting off my matches with very poor play, and have had patches of poor play mid-match. Those were affecting me mentally before, but now it simply doesn't bother me.

Another thing which has helped is not drinking. I wasn't drinking during playing, which obviously wouldn't help, but being a bit hungover from the night before definitely had an impact. Physically, I'm finding it much easier to play a long session without the booze in the system.

How's your game going, Rekoons? Are you able to play at all in Belgium?

Like you I find a more easy going approach and being able to not let bad shots get in my head very beneficial to my game. I also used to hate it when the table got ugly or selbyesque, I was usually the first one to push the boat out and go for a low percentage shot mostly resulting in giving away chances to my opponent.

Now I don’t mind and just play the sensible shot and my opponents tend to make mistakes so I can get in instead of them :)

I am incredibly fortunate that I can play on my own table for which I built a garden shed in the summer of ‘19 and got the table installed winter 19, just months before covid hit, talk about good timing...

As a result I’ve had plenty time for solo practice and studying my technique. I’m now much better able to ‘feel’ what has gone wrong when I miss badly and how to correct it in the next few shots. This also gives peace of mind (confidence) to not be totally clueless as to why we sometimes miss the silliest easy balls :) just put it at the back of your mind and get on with the next chance you get.

Playing against opposition is also on a low over here though.

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25, now snooker clubs have reopened in the UK, you have until June 13th to play your frames. If you haven't completed them by then, the match is forfeited and AcesInc progresses to the final.

Postby chengdufan

Final:

Johnny Bravo v AcesInc

Please keep a record of your 9 highest breaks in 9 frames.

Send me your scores by private message when you have completed your frames.

May the better player win :hatoff:

Postby acesinc

Thank you, ChengduFan and Play Well, Johnny Bravo!

I have posted my scores by PM to ChengduFan and await the final results.

Post match interview:

"How do you feel about your performance tonight, ACESInc?"

"Overall, I am pleased though I expect that I didn't quite make the grade for a Championship performance. I must say, with the Covid restrictions this year, not having my fans in the seats to cheer me on did make it rather difficult to remain in the moment. I suppose I will Tweet my followers to thank them for supporting me in spirit."

"Thank you, and back to you in the booth, Hazel..."

I have a video of my best break that I was quite happy with. Did well to clear all the open balls, but missed my chance to break out the tied up Reds. By my usual standards, this is a slow paced break, nearly six minutes. Under normal circumstances, I will play a break like this more like 3-1/2 or 4 minutes. For Dan, my opponent here is getting up in years, nearly 80 now, and his knees aren't what they once were, so yes, I usually spot my own.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7NkFA3_OPA
Last edited by acesinc on 26 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

Nice. Good recovery on the 5th red. That last red to black was always going to be a dilemma, but I think you played the correct shot to leave it high. Problem is you had no choice but to stay high - to avoid awkwardly bridging over the reds, but also to ensure you had enough angle to create pace for the cannon - when all throughout the break you’d put the white just nicely onto the black. It looks like that just broke your rhythm a little.

Well played :hatoff: