Post a reply

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:Come on, Andre, what were Chengdufan and PLtheRef's scores?

I'm sorry, had a busy day.

Here are their scores:

chengdufan wrote:Hi Andre,

Here are my 9 highest break scores from my 9 frames:

25; 16; 12; 9; 8; 8; 8; 7; 7

PLtheRef wrote:The scores were:

Postby chengdufan

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Come on, Andre, what were Chengdufan and PLtheRef's scores?

I'm sorry, had a busy day.

Here are their scores:

PLtheRef wrote:The scores were:

PLtheRef wins 6-3.

Congratulations PL :D :cracker:
Good luck against Johnny Bravo in the semi-final. You'll need it!!

Postby chengdufan

I was a bit disapponted to only get 3 10+ breaks, although those who have been following closely will note that before the comp started I said my 'par' would be 3 10+ers over 9 frames. I should therefore be fairly satisfied.

I played sets of 4 and 5 frames.

The 16 came in frame 4, and it should have been more. I was pleased enough with the 16, but on 15 I had a straight red to middle and only needed to follow-through 3-4 inches to be perfect on the pink. Instead, I went through too far and overshot the position, ending up between the blue and pink spots. The resulting attempt at cutting the pink in was way off. Getting it would have been my first ever 20+.

I played some of my worst ever snooker in frames 5-8. It was a bit embarrassing. My top break in frame 8 was '1'. I was close to not reaching 20 total points and the frame not counting, but my opponent had fouled a few times and played poorly too, so we went to the colours. I fluked both the green and brown, taking me to 23 points!!!

Then came frame 9, and I did it, a 20+ break for the first time in my life, aged 39 :happy: :happy: :happy: :D :D
I ran red-pink-red-blue-red-green-red-black. I had never potted more than 6 balls in a row before.
The first 5 were fairly easy, all around the middle of the table with the middle pockets. I did end up fairly close to the blue, and there was a risk of a push shot, but I played it well. My best shot was on the green. It was mid-range, and the pot was probably around 30-40% chance for me. In the past, I would probably have concentrated fully on the pot, but this time I played it to get down near the black to land on the next red. I struck it beautifully and landed perfectly on the reds down the other end of the table. With the break at 18, I desperately wanted to pot the black to get 20+, and as the position wasn't straightforward (I was straight on the black), I just played the pot.
The next red was a tricky cut-back. It was close and rattled, but didn't go in. Anyway, I'm still buzzing about this 25 break :-D

One of my best breaks was in my next visit after the 25. I potted red-green-red-green for 8. The first three pots were all very tough, none of which I would normally get, so to get them three in a row felt good, especially after the high of the 25. It was only 8 though!

Postby acesinc

Congratulations on that 25! Well done! :happy: :pompom:

Snooker is obviously a physical game requiring precise and coordinated muscle movement, but it is also a very psychological game. We truly are our own toughest opponents. So if I can make a suggestion...

"The 16 came in frame 4, and it should have been more."

Try to not let your thoughts wander this way. Every break ever by everyone (unless it was a maximum) could have been better. So what? Big deal! Appreciate that you have run a great 16 and now you know you can do it regularly so you will start expecting to see 16's with more frequency. And once you are getting 16's frequently, you will be getting 20's occasionally. And the spiral continues as you start getting 20's regularly.

Then you said, "I played some of my worst ever snooker in frames 5-8." meaning I expect that after your 16 did NOT turn into a 22 with the missed Pink, you were disproportionately disappointed and this affected your game for the next several frames. We all know that correlation is not necessarily causation, so maybe it was just coincidence that you played poorly for several frames after. But maybe not.

The thing is that when you think, "I SHOULD have made that Pink," you are automatically setting yourself up for even greater pressure the next time you face a similar situation. You won't be able to help yourself, you will think, "The last time I had a chance at 20, I missed the pot," and your fate is nearly certainly sealed. So with the even greater pressure you put on yourself next time to cross 20, maybe you miss again. And so it continues.

No, instead, you want to think to yourself, "Hey, here I am with yet another chance to cross 20. Seems like that has been happening a lot lately. I must be doing something right." And it's like a weight lifts off your shoulders, and you just play the pot like you've done it a million times. Like you did with that Black.

So you ran a fantastic 8 ball break followed up immediately with another good 4 ball break. That is really no surprise at all. Good snooker breeds good snooker. Likewise, bad snooker breeds bad snooker. That is why the continuous positive outlook is critical. The instant you start thinking, "I should have made that Pink!", you are setting yourself up for failure because the negativity may snowball. Be continuously vigilant for this and stay positive!

Again, congratulations, well deserved! Great break!

Postby chengdufan

Good observations, thanks Aces!

So PL, tell us about your frames. Were you happy with your scoring? Seems you were quite consistent with at least 9 10+ breaks in the 9 frames.

Postby PLtheRef

chengdufan wrote:Good observations, thanks Aces!

So PL, tell us about your frames. Were you happy with your scoring? Seems you were quite consistent with at least 9 10+ breaks in the 9 frames.

Well well well. :-)

Very pleased to get through (and a bit surprised I might add). Well played ChengduFan, many thanks for the contest and congratulations on the 25! I can still remember when I hit my highest break (nearly ten years ago) I was buzzing for the rest of the afternoon (even if I should have made it a 35 clearance by missing a straight forward black off the spot)

I feel that I played the better stuff in the first and third sessions compared to the middle one where I seemed to hit a wall if I reached 10 (despite it having more of my nine scoring breaks than the last session). Started off with 12 and 16 in the first frame (which pleased me considering I've not had a cue in my hand since January and played snooker for 15 months I think). Not all the frames were like that although the 18 came in the last frame of the first session (more of that later).

In terms of break-building, I think the 14 in the last of the nine frames was probably the best one with regards positioning, (red,blue red,pink red) - seemed to be in perfect position until I ended up leaving the cueball tight on the side cushion and making a pink off the spot ten times tougher than it should have been.)

The 18 (frame three) was good (red,black red,pink, red,yellow) - but it in truth should have been at least 21+. Pink and black were near pockets from the first two reds and with the third red, I somehow managed to overhit the white by two feet and ended up going for the yellow rather than a much riskier blue. The problem is once you're chasing position it seems to get much harder and when I'm trying to make something happen I put extra pace into the cue-ball (probably the worst bad-habit I've got when I'm playing)

Looking forward to having nine more frames with the Semi-Final against Johnny Bravo, given how tough the contest will be (I think eight of Johnny's nine breaks are higher than my highest ever break) I might relax more. If I can get a 20+ then I'll be pleased :)

Chengdu, having seen your other thread, h up for a rematch when the event's finished?

Postby chengdufan

Dan-cat wrote:Great write up PL. Am enjoying this contest as a spectator. Here's hoping Johnny has a bad day at the office during this semi-final clash to make it a match!

I have to agree, really enjoyed reading your comments PL. And yes, will very much be up for a re-match at some point.

Although the semi-final may seem like a foregone conclusion, I predict you will at least be able to get a few frames on the board. Your recent run-out against me has been a good warm-up and got you playing more regularly, so a few twenties will come soon. And I suspect Johnny may find a less loose opponent in real life for the next match. If his real life opponent is a higher standard, his break opportunities will be more limited.

Be careful with your 'should have' 'could have' comments regarding your breaks! As Aces pointed out to me, that kind of thinking can have a negative impact the next time you're at the table.

Congratulations again on the win. Well deserved!

Postby chengdufan

A couple more stats for those interested, the same as those following the JB-PB match.

Average break scores were:
Chengdu Fan 11
PL the Ref 13

Total points were PL 115-100 CF.

So I scored exactly 100 points. Easy to remember and something to aim for next year!

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:@Deewee
@SnookerEd25
How's it going? When do you expect to finish your 9 frames? Not pushing, just curious :-)

Finished, but my scores are at home and I'm at work. Will send through later, or tomorrow as I'm off. <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Dan-cat wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:I'll probably play my 9 frames at the end of this week.
Is that ok ?!

Sooner! We are gripped! <laugh>

Started my Semi-Final frames this afternoon. Ended up playing just two frames rather than three today.

Postby chengdufan

I've just received SnookerEd25's scores, and match 1 is complete.

The final score is:
SnookerEd25 5-3 Rekoons

rekoons wrote:Well here goes: 12, 12, 12, 14, 14, 16, 20, 22 and 25...

SnookerEd25 wrote:Hi ChengduFan

As promised, here are my nine highest breaks from 2 sessions of snooker. Both I and my opponent were rusty in the first having not wielded a cue in anger for almost 8 months, but I was began to settle toward the end and played a lot better this past Friday night.

Best breaks were :

25 (Red-Black-Red-Green-Red-Pink-Red-Blue)
23 (Red-Yellow-Red-Blue-Red-Blue-Red-Pink-Red)
19 (Red-Black-Red-Blue-Red-Brown)
19 (Red-Pink-2 Reds-Pink-Red-Green)
17 (Red-Black-Red-Black-Red)
16 (Red-Black-Red-Yellow-Yellow-Green)
14 (Red-Blue-Red-Pink-Red)
14 (Red-Pink-Red-Pink)
12 (Red-Brown-Red-Blue-Red)

Postby chengdufan

The frame winning breaks were:
25 SE
25 R
23 SE
22 R
20 R
19 SE
19 SE
17 SE

The score was 5-3 rather than 5-4 or 6-3 as the 9th and 10th highest scores tied (16), the 11th and 12th tied (14), the 13th and 14th tied (14), and the 15th and 16th tied (12).

Postby chengdufan

A very close match, well done to both players! And especially SnookerEd25, who progresses to the semi-finals.

Stats:

Total points:
SnookerEd25 159 - 147 (!) Rekoons

Average break:
SE 18
R 16

Postby rekoons

Not much I can remember, apart from the 25, which was quite an 'OK' break for me, took the 4 last reds with pinks and blue and yellow IIRC, then wobbled a long straight green in the black corner pocket to end the break :-)

This little hunt for breaks showed once more the importance of positional play, because at our level after a few shots into the frame a lot off balls are usually already scattered and/or too close to the cushion for comfort. <laugh>

Postby Absolute Snooker

Hi Guys,
On the topic of local leagues. I own a company called Absolute Snooker.

We carry out over 1500 recovers on pool and snooker tables every year.
Local league tables making up a majority of our customer base.
WE ARE ALWAYS KEEN RECIPROCATE THAT SUPPORT.

If your local league is struggling with these current difficult times. Get in touch and we will set up a sponsorship package sending required financial support if required.

Lets keep this game we love moving forward.
www.absolutesnooker.com

Postby SnookerEd25

rekoons wrote:Congratz SnookerEd25 and good luck in the Semis! <ok>

Thanks Rekoons, could barely get a cigarette paper between us! Remarkably close scores...

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
rekoons wrote:Congratz SnookerEd25 and good luck in the Semis! <ok>

Thanks Rekoons, could barely get a cigarette paper between us! Remarkably close scores...

So which break do you remember most?
The break with 2 reds potted in one shot. Did that help you or hinder you?