Post a reply

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:For a bit of perspective, I notice that 2 established members of the top 32, Zhou Yuelong and Jack Lisowski both won 5-4. Neither had a break over 50 in any of the 9 frames.
Zhou scored less than 20 total points in one of the 9 frames.
Jack had less than 20 in 3 of his frames.

They probably played a more tactical game.
In my case, both me and my opponent play very loose and basically go for almost anything, so we basically leave many chances for each other.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
chengdufan wrote:For a bit of perspective, I notice that 2 established members of the top 32, Zhou Yuelong and Jack Lisowski both won 5-4. Neither had a break over 50 in any of the 9 frames.

In my case, both me and my opponent play very loose and basically go for almost anything, so we basically leave many chances for each other.

Same in my case. You get far more scoring chances in a match between my son and I than you would in a top-level pro match.

I do think my son could make it as a pro if he tightens up his cueball but he has no interest in pursuing the game.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Same in my case. You get far more scoring chances in a match between my son and I than you would in a top-level pro match.

I do think my son could make it as a pro if he tightens up his cueball but he has no interest in pursuing the game.

He seems like a great player for his age. Why doesn't he want to become a pro ?!

Does he enjoy football more ?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Nope, hurling.

Never heard of that. What is hurling ?! :huh:

Never mind, I googled it. Thought you misspelled and meant to say curling.
This hurling thing seems like an extremely stupid sport. How can anyone prefer that instead of snooker ?!??? :?
At least does it pay well ?

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

This hurling thing seems like an extremely stupid sport. How can anyone prefer that instead of snooker ?!??? :?

Hurling is an amazing sport. Probably the sport I most enjoy watching outside of snooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcqB73fRdw
Last edited by Pink Ball on 24 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Well, this is awkward.

Postby Pink Ball

Dan-cat wrote:Pinkie - how often do you play? Was that your first match in a while and you kicked off with a 64?! You never talk about playing. Hardly ever. I know you are good, but it doesn't seem like you play much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I play roughly once a week, and it's been like that since getting married. Used to be far more regular and, naturally, much better. This was the first time I played over a few consecutive days, and my best breaks and play were in the later frames. I think I was 5-2 down after the first two days and struggling to make 30. 40-odd was my ceiling.

I don't talk much about playing because I don't feel the need to. I've seen a bit of snobbery amongst fans who play the game towards people who don't play or can't play well, so I try to distance myself from that. Quentin Hann was a better player than Clive Everton, does that mean his thoughts on the game carry more weight?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Well, this is awkward.

What does that mean, yes or no ?!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Hurling is an amazing sport. Probably the sport I most enjoy watching outside of snooker.

Still seems very weird to me :?
Anyway, you Irish guys were supposed to be into horse racing, not into a game where someone runs with a ball on bat. :? :|

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Pinkie - how often do you play? Was that your first match in a while and you kicked off with a 64?! You never talk about playing. Hardly ever. I know you are good, but it doesn't seem like you play much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I play roughly once a week, and it's been like that since getting married. Used to be far more regular and, naturally, much better. This was the first time I played over a few consecutive days, and my best breaks and play were in the later frames. I think I was 5-2 down after the first two days and struggling to make 30. 40-odd was my ceiling.

I don't talk much about playing because I don't feel the need to. I've seen a bit of snobbery amongst fans who play the game towards people who don't play or can't play well, so I try to distance myself from that. Quentin Hann was a better player than Clive Everton, does that mean his thoughts on the game carry more weight?

Ha. No. You're a mate and I like to hear what you are up to. :-)

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Hurling is an amazing sport. Probably the sport I most enjoy watching outside of snooker.

Still seems very weird to me :?
Anyway, you Irish guys were supposed to be into horse racing, not into a game where someone runs with a ball on bat. :? :|

We can be interested in two things.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Never heard of that. What is hurling ?! :huh:

Well, this is awkward.

What does that mean, yes or no ?!

It doesn't pay well. It also doesn't pay terribly. It doesn't pay at all.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I'm off to the snooker club, yay! Hope I can get my remaining 5 frames in today.

Has the next round begun ?
When am I supposed to play next ?

You need to watch Gaylords Say No first.

Postby chengdufan

I've just sent my scores to Andre.
Not sure if PLTheRef has already sent Andre his scores for our match.
I've received the scores from Acesinc and Rekoons, and am waiting for Deewee and SnookerEd25.

I will do the semi-final draw this Friday at 19:00pm China time, 12:00pm UK time. Don't worry if you haven't finished your q-f frames by then. I will put A/B in the draw for the matches that haven't finished.
If you are technically still in the competition this weekend, you can get started on your semi-final match if you like.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I'm off to the snooker club, yay! Hope I can get my remaining 5 frames in today.

You need to watch the King of the Heavyweights Mike Tyson first.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

You need to watch the King of the Heavyweights Mike Tyson first.

I was watching him talk the other day and he said Muhammad Ali is the greatest. He said Ali had something he doesn't have, with tears in his eyes.

Postby chengdufan

Welcome to the draw for the semi-finals.

Three of the quarter-finals are yet to be concluded, but the one player through, Johnny Bravo, is itching to go!
Rekoons, Chengdufan and AcesInc have submitted their quarter-final scores and may commence playing frames for the semi-final now, should they wish to, while we wait for PltheRef, SnookerEd25 and Deewee to complete their frames.

There are 4 balls in the hat for the draw:
White: Johnny Bravo
Yellow: AcesInc/Deewee
Brown: ChengduFan/PLTheRef
Blue: Rekoons/SnookerEd25

Postby chengdufan

The semi-final line-ups currently are:

Match 5
AcesInc/Deewee vs Rekoons/SnookerEd25

Match 6
Johnny Bravo vs ChengduFan/PLTheRef

Postby PLtheRef

My numbers have gone in. Not sure if I'll win or not but if not, shoutout to ChengduFan for organising - been nice to have a reason to play over the past few weeks.