Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Juddernaut88

I think it would be extremely harsh to penalise a player for faulty equipment so I wouldn't penalise the player for that.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Juddernaut88 wrote:I think it would be extremely harsh to penalise a player for faulty equipment so I wouldn't penalise the player for that.

Incomplete or incorrect answer

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Iranu

I’d say the rest becomes an ‘extension’ of the cue. If the cue did the same it would be a foul so I agree with HC.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby chengdufan

No foul. Put the balls back where they were as best as possible and play on.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Iranu

Has the player picked up the rest or is the ref handing it to them when the head falls off?

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:Has the player picked up the rest or is the ref handing it to them when the head falls off?

The player is holding the rest in the normal fashion and is on his shot.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby HappyCamper

is it their own rest or was it provided?

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby HappyCamper

if it their own rest then they are responsible for the equipment and should be penalised with a foul.

if it was provided by third party then they are not responsible and so no foul. referee replaces the balls and i presume gets a new rest.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby HappyCamper

who is the most recent world amateur champion to have also been world professional champion, and which did they achieve first?

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby HappyCamper

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Bingo.
Ams


yup, 1996 and 2015.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

YOU ARE THE REF!!

Judd Trump is on the last red on his way to another 147 break, having potted the first 14 reds into the same pocket.

Unfortunately the bone-idle referee has not emptied the pocket at any point during the break.

The Ace in the Pack plays the last red perfectly but due to the oafish official's inaction, the pocket is full to the brim and the red hits one of these pocketed reds and comes back out of the pocket and comes to rest on the table.

The referee does not know what to do and asks you how he should proceed.

What would you advise?

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Andre147

First of all...

The pocket rail does not hold 14 reds, at most 9 or 10.

But anyway, no matter how many reds were already "inside" the pocket, if that situation ocurred, and me as the referee knew it was my fault that Trump couldn't pot that red, I would simply call it a legal shot, the red stays in the pocket and the break continues.

Same applies for instance, when respotting blue ball, the cue ball is still moving, but the referee doesnt notice that, he respots the blue and then the cue ball touches it. The ref must now replace the cue ball to where he thinks it should have come to rest. When the referee is at fault, the player is never penalised.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:First of all...

The pocket rail does not hold 14 reds, at most 9 or 10.

But anyway, no matter how many reds were already "inside" the pocket, if that situation ocurred, and me as the referee knew it was my fault that Trump couldn't pot that red, I would simply call it a legal shot, the red stays in the pocket and the break continues.

Same applies for instance, when respotting blue ball, the cue ball is still moving, but the referee doesnt notice that, he respots the blue and then the cue ball touches it. The ref must now replace the cue ball to where he thinks it should have come to rest. When the referee is at fault, the player is never penalised.

Incorrect.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Andre147

It's correct.

And I get the honor to make a question.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:It's correct.

And I get the honor to make a question.

Well I disagree with you respectfully although I would concede that you know more about the rules in general than I ever will.

In this case however you are not right.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre is correct - his question.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

OK - I am not going to claim I am definitely right but I took the ruling from the EASB referee training website so I was confident in my assertion.

I will concede if Acesinc agrees with Andre but the training site said that if the ball does not come to rest in a pocket then it is not deemed to have been pocketed.

I will PM Acesinc

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:First of all...

The pocket rail does not hold 14 reds, at most 9 or 10.

But anyway, no matter how many reds were already "inside" the pocket, if that situation ocurred, and me as the referee knew it was my fault that Trump couldn't pot that red, I would simply call it a legal shot, the red stays in the pocket and the break continues.

Same applies for instance, when respotting blue ball, the cue ball is still moving, but the referee doesnt notice that, he respots the blue and then the cue ball touches it. The ref must now replace the cue ball to where he thinks it should have come to rest. When the referee is at fault, the player is never penalised.

There wad an incident in a Chinese tournament where Robbo played a blue into a middle pocket but it jumped out because there were so many reds. The referee didn’t deem it as pocketed. I guess the ref was wrong.

I’ve tried to find the video but I can’t.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu - I believe the referee to have been correct.

The relevant rule states:

"If any ball enters a pocket and rebounds onto the playing area, it
does not count as having been potted or pocketed. The striker has
no redress if this occurs."

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Andre147

If it's the referee's fault then yes the player is never penalised.

However, I've seen situations when the object ball enters a pocket but jumps out of it. That is not deemed as pocketed. But in the other instance it's clear as daylight it was the referee's fault, I would simply call it a legal shot and break continues.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Iranu - I believe the referee to have been correct.

The relevant rule states:

"If any ball enters a pocket and rebounds onto the playing area, it
does not count as having been potted or pocketed. The striker has
no redress if this occurs."


There is also Section 5 which constitutes to fair play and common sense.

Yes the object ball didnt stay in the pocket, BUT common sense prevails in this situation because why did that happen? Because the referee didn't take the reds out.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby HappyCamper

Badsnookerplayer wrote:YOU ARE THE REF!!
...

Unfortunately the bone-idle referee ...

... but due to the oafish official's inaction...


i feel under attack

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Iranu - I believe the referee to have been correct.

The relevant rule states:

"If any ball enters a pocket and rebounds onto the playing area, it
does not count as having been potted or pocketed. The striker has
no redress if this occurs."


There is also Section 5 which constitutes to fair play and common sense.

Yes the object ball didnt stay in the pocket, BUT common sense prevails in this situation because why did that happen? Because the referee didn't take the reds out.

But the referee would be acting against a rule that is in the official document (2nd point on page 15 of this document) - https://www.wpbsa.com/wp-content/upload ... s-2019.pdf

I understand that they can use discretion but I do not believe they can in this situation as the ball has not been 'pocketed' same as if it hit the back leather and bounced out onto the floor it would be a foul.