Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerEd25 wrote:Sticking with that tournament; what was unique about the final?

There were 3 players in the final.

Postby SnookerEd25

There were indeed. Probably too easy if you were around in that era.

For the record they were : Steve Davis (winner), Dave Martin (runner-up), John Dunning (3rd place).

The whole tournament was played on a Group Basis (proper groups, not like the 'groups' they have in the CoC)

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerEd25 wrote:There were indeed. Probably too easy if you were around in that era.

For the record they were : Steve Davis (winner), Dave Martin (runner-up), John Dunning (3rd place).

The whole tournament was played on a Group Basis (proper groups, not like the 'groups' they have in the CoC)

Nice question though.

Who made the only 16 red total clearance at The Crucible?

Postby Alex0paul

The player who played the best tune on the organ won the toss to break off

Postby Alex0paul

Alex0paul wrote:The player who played the best tune on the organ won the toss to break off

Oh I didn’t see the answer had already been given

Postby vodkadiet1

Dan-cat wrote:Steve James.

Correct Dan-cat!

Postby vodkadiet1

Alex0paul wrote:The player who played the best tune on the organ won the toss to break off

That is pretty funny!

In actual fact the matches were played on a round robin basis and if all three players were tied the players had to clear the colours to see who won. In one group Tony Meo, Paddy Morgan, and Clive Everton were tied and Everton was the first to be eliminated when me missed the blue at the first attempt! And Paddy Morgan eventually prevailed over Meo.

Postby Dan-cat

vodkadiet1 wrote:

That is pretty funny!

In actual fact the matches were played on a round robin basis and if all three players were tied the players had to clear the colours to see who won. In one group Tony Meo, Paddy Morgan, and Clive Everton were tied and Everton was the first to be eliminated when me missed the blue at the first attempt! And Paddy Morgan eventually prevailed over Meo.

This is mad! Clive!!

Postby Alex0paul

Matthew Stevens
Matthew Couch
Dave Harold
Fergal O'Brien
Steve Davis
Paul Hunter
John Parrott
?????

Who is missing and why?

Postby Alex0paul

Dan-cat wrote:Higgins, because he made it to the Henmans.

It is Higgins. It’s the lineup of the 98 UK Championships.

Surely Henman is the semis?

Postby SnookerEd25

Alex0paul wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Higgins, because he made it to the Henmans.

It is Higgins. It’s the lineup of the 98 UK Championships.

Surely Henman is the semis?

Going a bit off-topic here...

Looked this up on cuetracker, because i didn't remember Matthew Couch ever getting as far as a major ranking QF; he was world ranked 78 for this season, so had to win 5 matches to get to the quarters :

L134 Barry Pinches 5-4
L96 Shokat Ali 5-3
L64 James Wattana 9-3
L32 Marco Fu 9-6
L16 Michael Holt 9-5

Then lost 5-9 to Matthew Stevens in the QF, having led 3-0 & 5-3.

Quite an achievement, considering he'd never really done anything before as a pro'. Jumped to no.47 in the rankings as a result of this run, but then dropped back into obscurity and by 2003 off the tour altogether - although he got back onto it on a couple of subsequent occasions and even played Q-school last year.

Interestingly, looking at the qualification for the '98 UK, between the L134 & the L96 there was a round called 'overseas qualifiers' - 6 matches, so 12 players but 3 of them were British! (including Shaun Murphy). Anybody know what that round was about?

Sorry for hi-jacking the quiz but i'm at work, nice and early (so I can leave early to catch the end of the afternoon session) and refuse to actually knuckle down and do proper work until everyone else ambles in after 9AM

(and if my boss is on this forum, that last bit is a joke <laugh> )

Postby SnookerEd25

Yeah. Whatever. I have work to do. :grrr:

Postby Alex0paul

Has anyone been keeping score?

Postby Alex0paul

Ding and McManus?

Postby HappyCamper

Think that is the Trunk Higgins world final. Maybe ten, Trump six , Higgins four?