Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby SnookerEd25

JUDDERS! :bowdown:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony is one; Cliff Wilson - the great Cliff Wilson - is the other

Postby Juddernaut88

Tony Meo last professional final was The matchroom International league in 1990. Who beat him in the final?

Postby SnookerEd25

Steve Davis would be the obvious choice, so let’s get him out the way...

Postby SnookerEd25

Sir Clifford of Thorburn?

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Angles, it is a player that has won multiple ranking titles though and is still a pro.

Postby SnookerEd25

The Whirlwind of London Town?

James Warren White

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:The Whirlwind of London Town?

James Warren White

Correct :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

Who was the last player that the aforementioned Whirlwind defeated at the Crucible?

Postby SnookerEd25

Given his participation in the Seniors events the last couple of years, I should have added ‘in the World Professional Snooker Championship’

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Errrrm was it David Gray?

No, but I see your thinking; Gray beat him 10-5 in the first round of 2006 which was White’s last Crucible appearance, but obviously not his last win.

Postby Juddernaut88

Chris Small? I get the feeling it may have been around 2003, I think Stephen Lee beat Jimmy that year but cannot for the life of me remember who Jimmy beat so thinking of some of these names around that time lol

Postby SnookerEd25

Jimmy, seeded 10, bt. James Wattana 10-6 in 2003, before losing 11-13 to no.7 seed Stephen lee in the last 16.

It was not his last win that year though.

Jimmy and Chris Small only met twice, surprisingly, in competition; both in BO9s, with one win apiece.

Postby Juddernaut88

2004 I think Jimmy lost to Barry Pinches so he must have won a match in 2005 at the Crucible, I will guess Joe Swail?

Postby SnookerEd25

Putting in some good knowledge here, Judd, and showing your workings which is always to be commended <ok>

He did lose to Barry in 2004; interestingly, Barry, on only his second Crucible appearance THIRTEEN years after his first (L 3-10 to Terry Griffiths in ‘91) bt. Jimmy (seeded 15) 10-8 in the first round and very nearly did the same to Hendry (seeded 2) in Round 2, taking him the distance.

So you have correctly identified 2005 as the year in question. The opponent was not Joe Swail - he had gone down 8-10 to Shaun Murphy in the final qualifying round (the year, of course, that Murphy went on his fairytale run form the Quallies to the title)

Jimmy and Joe only met once at the Crucible, in the first round in 1993, with Jimmy winning 10-4 on his way to second place that year.

Postby Juddernaut88

In 2004 Barry Pinches came so close to beating Hendry :shock: that would have been a horrible defeat for Hendry.

I will take a guess with Anthony Hamilton in 2005?

Postby SnookerEd25

Qualifier Hamilton bt. 14th seed David Gray 10-8 in 2005, before going down to Hendry 3-13 in R2; it was the second year in succession he had lost by that score having gone down to RO’S in the QF in 2004 - possibly the only player to lose matches at the Crucible with a session to spare in successive years...

Jimmy and Anthony only met at the Crucible once, in 1997 in the first round; Jimmy was seeded 13, and was edged out on a decider by Anthony.

Surprisingly, given both of their longevities on the tour, Jimmy and Anthony have only met five times overall in competition - and two of those have been at the shootout!

Postby Juddernaut88

Oh yes I should have remembered that Hendry beat Hamilton in 2005 <doh>
Let's have a stab with Mark King?

Postby SnookerEd25

King didn’t qualify in 2005, going down 9-10 in the final QR to Neil Robertson who debuted that year.

He and JW have never met at the Crucible either, the only time they met in the WC was in a final qualifier in 2008 - King winning comfortably 10-3 on his way to the main draw, where he put out Mark Selby in the first round (10-8) before departing to Peter Ebdon (9-13)

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:Andy Hicks?

Hicks qualified in 2005, but went down 5-10 to Matthew Stevens, the eventual runner-up.

He and Jimmy have never played each other at the Crucible; in their only WC meeting, Hicks won 10-8 in the 2nd qualifying round of 2009