Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby SnookerEd25

Good question, & well done Iranu.

We need a referee like Williams around these days. I think today’s lot are too matey with the players, & are too wary of ‘upsetting’ them. Williams didn’t take any sh*t, he was in charge of the arena & wielded his authority with a steel rod. John Street was another good one from the era too.

Postby HappyCamper

like how kikis is specifically cambridge, whereas fodari is just australia.

Postby mick745

SnookerEd25 wrote:Good question, & well done Iranu.

We need a referee like Williams around these days. I think today’s lot are too matey with the players, & are too wary of ‘upsetting’ them. Williams didn’t take any sh*t, he was in charge of the arena & wielded his authority with a steel rod. John Street was another good one from the era too.

Yes agreed. Apparently once when a mobile went off he said to the spectator, "answer that and tell 'em you're on your way home".

He refused to be intimitated by Alex Higgins - standing his ground and refusing to move when higgins accused him of being in his eye line.

There have been three crucible finals that have gone to a deciding frame and Williams reffed all three.

Former police officer i believe.

I doubt in any other sport there is such a chummy relationship between officials and participants. Smacks a bit of old boy's club.

Postby Empire State Human

The refs have certainly backed away from warning players for slow play in recent years. Besides the couple of incidents with Williams, I remember Len Ganley warning Nigel Bond in a match in the UK against Ebdon, which Ebdon went on to win 9-7.

I think I'm against the use of shot clocks/Average Shot Times and they might even act as a disincentive for referees for calling on slow play. I don't believe the refs have access to the figures in the arena, and they would be pilloried if they pulled up a player when the other player is actually just as slow. Or if they pulled up a player and they reply that 'Actually, Lee Walker in last year's Northern Ireland Open was 2 seconds slower and he was never warned ...'.

Yet I think slow play is a really subjective thing, and needs to take into account the situation and difficulty of the shots. It was understandable why the Fergal v Gilbert deciding frame in the final round of World Championship took so long, but this simply wouldn't do in the last 64 of the Indian Open. And I'm glad the nonsense scheme that Hearn hinted at a couple of years ago - fining players if they averaged above 30 seconds a shot - never came into force, as that's open to all kinds of abuse. (e.g. playing on for an infinite number of snookers, not really trying for the snookers, but just playing the shots quickly to get your average shot time down for the next frame.)

Postby Iranu

What was Ding Junhui’s ranking when he won his first UK Championship?

Postby Ck147

42?

Postby Ck147

51?

Postby chengdufan

Sorry, didn't expect to be correct. Question coming up

Postby chengdufan

All upcoming snooker tournaments will be played in Milton Keynes. The football team in Milton Keynes is called MK Dons. MK Dons used to be a club called Wimbledon. Wimbledon is in London. A famous landmark in London is the London Eye. Marco Fu has had eye problems recently. Which Snooker Island poster famously asked the question "How would you describe Macro Fu's style?"?

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I'm going to guess it was snookerfan

Correct

Postby Juddernaut88

Easy question here. In the current rankings who is the highest ranked player not to have won a ranking title yet?

Postby Juddernaut88

chengdufan wrote:Is it David Gilbert?

Yes that is correct :) David Gilbert is currently ranked 11.

Postby chengdufan

Who is the oldest player on tour (current professional) not named Jimmy White?

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Who is the oldest player on tour (current professional) not named Jimmy White?

Nigel Bond

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Who is the oldest player on tour (current professional) not named Jimmy White?

Nigel Bond

Correct!

Postby SnookerEd25

Had to be...

Question to follow.

Postby SnookerEd25

In July 2001, Steve Davis beat Jimmy White 9-2; what was significant about this match?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:In July 2001, Steve Davis beat Jimmy White 9-2; what was significant about this match?

Jimmy won two frames?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:In July 2001, Steve Davis beat Jimmy White 9-2; what was significant about this match?

Jimmy won two frames?

I could give a clue here - they weren’t frames...

Postby Juddernaut88

They had a one on one game of football and Steve Davis had a magical performance on the football pitch and turned himself into a prime Alan Shearer.

Postby SnookerEd25

Neither.

There were cues involved.