Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby vodkadiet

Dan-cat wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:BadSnookerplayer

You're right. Higgins used to take the cue ball off of the table at the end of the frame and clean it with his handkerchief. That was outlawed.

Worse than that, he used to put it in his gob and lick it to get it clean!!

Yes - the rules were changed to stop him tampering with the white. Over to you baddy.

And ... Vodka let’s start another thread with cheap and healthy vegan recipes/ food ideas to encourage :) i’ve Heard this argument before.

Dan-cat, yes I remember the licking! Another thing about Higgins was he had to have the last shot of a frame. If his opponent was 80 ahead on the colours he would play on just to get the last shot. He done this against Rex Williams once, he was 60 behind with just pink and black left, he missed the pink and then lifted the cue ball to start his CV cleaning routine, and Williams told him that he couldn't because it wasn't his turn. And this brought about another rule change, 'You can only concede when it is your shot.' This has now begin extended to only being able to concede when snookers are required. Years ago players were conceding when they could still easily win the frame.

Postby vodkadiet

Dan-cat, regarding the Vegan question I don't buy the 'it is too expensive' line. And even if it was. surely your health is worth paying extra for? Many people cannot be bothered to cook from scratch. Cooking from scratch is cheaper, healthier, and more gratifying than buying an overpriced ready meal which is full of unhealthy additives. Prepare a massive bowl of healthiness which will last a few days, and have the occasional treat. A few squares of Vegan chocolate isn't bad and isn't moorish.

Postby Dan-cat

vodkadiet wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:BadSnookerplayer

You're right. Higgins used to take the cue ball off of the table at the end of the frame and clean it with his handkerchief. That was outlawed.

Worse than that, he used to put it in his gob and lick it to get it clean!!

Yes - the rules were changed to stop him tampering with the white. Over to you baddy.

And ... Vodka let’s start another thread with cheap and healthy vegan recipes/ food ideas to encourage :) i’ve Heard this argument before.

Dan-cat, yes I remember the licking! Another thing about Higgins was he had to have the last shot of a frame. If his opponent was 80 ahead on the colours he would play on just to get the last shot. He done this against Rex Williams once, he was 60 behind with just pink and black left, he missed the pink and then lifted the cue ball to start his CV cleaning routine, and Williams told him that he couldn't because it wasn't his turn. And this brought about another rule change, 'You can only concede when it is your shot.' This has now begin extended to only being able to concede when snookers are required. Years ago players were conceding when they could still easily win the frame.

hahaha I didn't know that last shot business. Ace.

Yes that 'can't concede when its not your shot' is flagrantly ignored though.

Postby vodkadiet

In the 83 Worlds Alex Higgins played on against Bill Werbeniuk when he was about 60 behind on the green. Werbeniuk started playing one handed as if to 'extract the urine'. Higgins was agitated by this and complained to the referee! It is a good job that neither Higgins or Werbeniuk drunk alcohol otherwise it might have all kicked off!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Which former World Championship finalist retired with a highest break of 139?

Tony Knowles? But I don't think he was a finalist..

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Which former World Championship finalist retired with a highest break of 139?

Graham Miles?

Postby vodkadiet

I was going to say Perrie Mans, but his highest break was more like 39!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Graham Miles is the only answer I can find...

Postby Alex0paul

Terry Griffiths

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Terry Griffiths

:win:

But wikipedia says his high break was 140 :wild:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

You've been cheating!!!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I got the info from an interview on Snooker Island, should be here:

https://www.snookerisland.com/blog/inte ... rt-1-of-2/

No problem mate. I guess wikipedia is wrong..

Postby Alex0paul

Who was the first player to make 3 centuries in their first match at the Crucible?

Postby vodkadiet

Alex0paul wrote:Who was the first player to make 3 centuries in their first match at the Crucible?

Terry Griffiths?