Why is going in-off called scratching?

Bounce.

I have no idea.

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Alex0paul

The first player ever to do it contracted crabs and nuts instantly

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:In the old days, when a player pocketed the cue ball, his opponent "scratched" a point off the shooter's score.

Yes my man. You are in the chair :-D

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Thanks DC.

The last red is hanging over one of the top pockets. Cue ball is a few inches from the bottom cushion but has the yellow ball tight behind it to hamper cueing.
The striker asks for the yellow to be cleaned, and whilst it is off the table, he plays his stroke, unobstructed by the ball marker now taking the place of the yellow. What action should the referee have taken and what should he do now?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:Deliberate foul, player forfeits the frame.

That's what I think as well. The player will probably also get a warning saying if he does something like that again he loses the match.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Deliberate foul, player forfeits the frame.

That's what I think as well. The player will probably also get a warning saying if he does something like that again he loses the match.

Exactly - a warning for ungentlemanly conduct

Postby Holden Chinaski

Maybe the ref should have r3fused to clean the ball? There's no reason for it to be cleaned and it might be hard to put it back in the same place... Anyway it's a deliberate foul amd the player should lose the frame and get a warning.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:Maybe the ref should have r3fused to clean the ball? There's no reason for it to be cleaned and it might be hard to put it back in the same place... Anyway it's a deliberate foul amd the player should lose the frame and get a warning.

Good point, but the question does state that the player takes the shot

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Maybe the ref should have r3fused to clean the ball? There's no reason for it to be cleaned and it might be hard to put it back in the same place... Anyway it's a deliberate foul amd the player should lose the frame and get a warning.

Good point, but the question does state that the player takes the shot

Yes but he also asked what the ref should have done. And the ref should have refused to clean the ball in my opinion.