Postby SnookerEd25

It wasn’t Peter Ebdon either :sad:

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human wrote:John Hoggins.

This is the correct answer, of sorts :hatoff:

Postby Empire State Human

Spencer made one in a televised tournament, the 1979 Holsten Lager International, only the TV crew were on a scheduled break, so none of it was filmed.

Thames were embarrassed by having missed it, so they made a re-creation of the last 4 shots to be broadcast for the evening programme. The audience were under an instruction to go wild as he potted the final black. However, no body bought it.

This filming of a 147 in question wasn't the entire break, but it was the end of a genuine break made in Shirley Social Club in Birmingham.

Reardon is correct. He made a 147 in an exhibition game in 1979, the last part of which was filmed for a BBC Wales documentary broadcast the same year.

Steve Davis, of course, made the first professional tournament 147, but yeah, I deliberately omitted the word 'tournament' from the question.

Over to Judders!

Postby Iranu

Was the whole maximum televised, ESH?

Postby Juddernaut88

:D Reardon was more of a hit and hope but fortunately it paid off on this occasion.

Snooker Scene says it was the 'climax of the break ... captured on one camera for a BBC Wales documentary', so, no, I imagine probably only the last few shots. It's mentioned in the context after Davis made his televised maximum in 1982. I'm trying to find the original report from 1979 for more info, but haven't found it yet. I post here if I find anything.

I've never seen any footage of it, but even if it's the last few shots, I'd like to see it.

Postby Iranu

Empire State Human wrote:Snooker Scene says it was the 'climax of the break ... captured on one camera for a BBC Wales documentary', so, no, I imagine probably only the last few shots. It's mentioned in the context after Davis made his televised maximum in 1982. I'm trying to find the original report from 1979 for more info, but haven't found it yet. I post here if I find anything.

I've never seen any footage of it, but even if it's the last few shots, I'd like to see it.

The pedant in me would argue that it is in that case not the first televised maximum but honestly it’s such a cool fact even idiot Iranu would probably let it slide!

Postby Juddernaut88

What was did Ray Reardon's job in 1960 before he became a professional snooker player?
Last edited by Juddernaut88 on 13 May 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

Iranu wrote:Was he a miner?

He did that initially but he quit that in 1960 to do another job.

Postby Iranu

So I’m technically correct? :chin:

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:I've amended the question to avoid confusion.

To cover for your error more like...

(Just kidding)

Postby Juddernaut88

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I've amended the question to avoid confusion.

To cover for your error more like...

(Just kidding)

Lol I apologise.

Postby SnookerEd25

He was a coppah; got a pic of him in uniform in one of my snooker books.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:He was a coppah; got a pic of him in uniform in one of my snooker books.

Correct :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

In similar fashion, what was Terry Grittiths employed as when he decided to turn pro.?