Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby vodkadiet1

No. I will give you a clue. Gary Lineker was pulling the seeded balls out of one bag and he pulled out 'The Great WT' (his best snooker mate)!

Postby vodkadiet1

Alex0paul wrote:2001

No. Willie Thorne was a seed!

Postby Alex0paul

I’m sure it was live on Grandstand in 2001

Postby vodkadiet1

Alex0paul wrote:I’m sure it was live on Grandstand in 2001

The second time was 1996 on Saturday afternoon Grandstand and the first time was on Sportsnight in ?
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 30 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet1

No. This year the Worlds started on Good Friday and finished on a Sunday.

Postby PLtheRef

Won't be the early to mid 80s as the Qualifying Groups fitted alongside the draw in 1985 - as in Davis knew before the qualifying started that he would face the winner of the first group.

The only ones with a Good Friday start I know of was 1995 - but that's been said. Other than that 1982 had a Friday start but that would be after Easter

1990 perhaps? That had a Friday start and a Sunday end

Postby vodkadiet1

PLtheRef wrote:Won't be the early to mid 80s as the Qualifying Groups fitted alongside the draw in 1985 - as in Davis knew before the qualifying started that he would face the winner of the first group.

The only ones with a Good Friday start I know of was 1995 - but that's been said. Other than that 1982 had a Friday start but that would be after Easter

1990 perhaps? That had a Friday start and a Sunday end

Correct! 1990!

Postby PLtheRef

How many players have won the World Championship since it went to the Crucible having not qualified for the event the year before?

Spencer as winner of the Crucible's first World Championship is excluded from this.

Postby Juddernaut88

I think 3, Terry Griffiths won it in 1979, didn't play year before but I think that was his first season so not sure if that counts. Mark Williams won it in 2018 but didn't qualify the year before. Joe Johnson won it in 1986, I don't think he qualified the year before

Postby PLtheRef

Juddernaut88 wrote:I think 3, Terry Griffiths won it in 1979, didn't play year before but I think that was his first season so not sure if that counts. Mark Williams won it in 2018 but didn't qualify the year before. Joe Johnson won it in 1986, I don't think he qualified the year before

I'll give you 3 - with Griffiths (though he didn't enter the 1978 World Championship) and Williams

Joe Johnson is incorrect though

Postby Juddernaut88

Shaun Murphy the other won, he won it in 2005? don't think he qualified year before

Postby PLtheRef

Juddernaut88 wrote:Shaun Murphy the other won, he won it in 2005? don't think he qualified year before

Correct

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Hahaha methinks Pink Ball got a little bit shafted there. Anyway thanks Dan.

Q. Against whom did Ronnie O'Sullivan claim his first ever World Championship match win at the Crucible?

Dennis Taylor.

Correct.

Your go.

Who won the 2017 World Snooker Championship?

Mark Selby.

Postby Juddernaut88

Name 3 players that have won a ranking title but have never made it in the top 16? (I am excluding winners of the Shoot out in this though and excluding players from before the rankings were introduced)

Postby Alex0paul

Dale
Chaperon
J Robertson

Postby Alex0paul

Who just knocked me out of the Malta Cup on World Championship Snooker 2005?

Postby Alex0paul

None so far