Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human wrote:I believe I've seen a clip of Higgins referring to Cliff as the 'Grinder' after the 1980 final. Not sure if that was the first usage of it.

Here is the Alan Hughes interview in which he claims to have invented the name, but he wasn't even doing intros back then, so who knows what this is about: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 968289.stm

Ok, salty comment question:

Who said this after losing to his opponent in a 1980s ranking final:

"It wasn't my idea of snooker and I tried to make things happen but in the end I was totally bored. I expected more from a final. It's the worst thing that could have happened to [redacted] as he probably thinks he can win a tournament again playing like that".

Interesting piece that <ok>

I do recall the comment you refer to but can’t quite remember the protagonists, annoyingly...

...so I’ll try Dean Reynolds saying it of Tony Meo after the notoriously dreadful British Open final in (I think) 1989; Meo’s only Ranking Title and quite the worst, in terms of quality, ever seen :chin:

Postby Empire State Human

Reynolds v Meo is correct! It turned out it was Meo's last (indeed only) ranking title, although he added the Matacheroom League the following season.

I was actually looking for his comment after Davis thumped him 10-0 in the Grand Prix, which was far saltier but couldn't find it in time. I will probably do a Salty Comment Quiz at some point.

Postby Iranu

Empire State Human wrote:I was actually looking for his comment after Davis thumped him 10-0 in the Grand Prix, which was far saltier but couldn't find it in time. I will probably do a Salty Comment Quiz at some point.

That’s a good idea for a quiz.

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, as we’re on quotes. Who said this after his exit from the World Championship in 2005?

“I played sh*t in the first match, sh*t in the second match, and apart from four frames, sh*t in this match”

:chin:

Postby chengdufan

Empire State Human wrote:the Matacheroom League

rofl

Postby Juddernaut88

Stephen Hendry when losing to Matthew Stevens in the Quarter finals?

Postby mick745

Was that the year Steve Davis lost 13-4 to Murphy in the quarters?
If so, that quote fits

Steve Davis

Although i havent heard him use profanities in public very often.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Stephen Hendry when losing to Matthew Stevens in the Quarter finals?

Bang on :clap:

I don’t think Davis would ever have been as disparaging of his own game; monosyllabic after a defeat in the 80s, as he matured he preferred to talk up his opponent’s performance if he’d played badly.

Postby Juddernaut88

Who did Matthew Stevens beat in the 1st round of the Masters in 2000 the year he won it?

Postby SnookerEd25

I’ll try Peter Ebdon

Postby SnookerEd25

Joe Swail?

May have been a top 16er at that point...

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Fergal I'm afraid, he did play that year though and he lost the 1st round to Stephen Lee.

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Steve Davis, he didn't play in it that year, surprised as thought he would have been a top 16 player then.

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Robidoux or Hendry, Robidoux didn't qualify that year, Hendry lost in the quarter finals to Doherty.

Postby Juddernaut88

Harold didn't qualify and King lost to Hendry in the 1st round.

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Ali Carter, he lost the 1st round 6-0 to Ken Doherty.
1st clue it is a player that has won a few ranking titles in his career.