Post a reply

Make That Break!

Postby chengdufan

Steve Davis came to the table here and made a break of 11. Can you recreate his break by identifying which balls he potted and in what order?

Apologies for the quality of the photo. To avoid confusion, the white is near the bottom cushion. The blue is next to the pink on the blue spot.
Last edited by chengdufan on 13 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Make That Break!

Postby chengdufan

This topic was inspired by comments about Joe Johnson not being able to describe clearly which balls he is talking about. It made me wonder if you fellas are any better :-)

Postby rekoons

potted the long red in the left hand corner, white going round the back of the black to land on it low to the right.
potting the black and going up the table via the left side cushion for the red up the middle to right pocket
blue and pink not available so potting the red to land on the yellow to the left top corner
potting the yellow and trying to land on the bottom red of the cluster via the left side cushion, but then over or under hitting it and having to play safe?

Postby chengdufan

rekoons wrote:potted the long red in the left hand corner, white going round the back of the black to land on it low to the right.
potting the black and going up the table via the left side cushion for the red up the middle to right pocket
blue and pink not available so potting the red to land on the yellow to the left top corner
potting the yellow and trying to land on the bottom red of the cluster via the left side cushion, but then over or under hitting it and having to play safe?

Nice try!

But unfortunately incorrect on the first shot :-(

Postby Juddernaut88

The pictures don't show up on my work pc so I will have to check later on.

Postby Prop

Cuts the red closest to pink and blue to the right middle
Yellow to left baulk pocket
Red closest to the black to right top pocket (black end)
Black to left top pocket
Misses red

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Cuts the red closest to pink and blue to the right middle
Yellow to left baulk pocket
Red closest to the black to right top pocket (black end)
Black to left top pocket
Misses red

:D
That's right.

Although he played safe rather than missing the last red. He got a kick on the red prior to the black and was left high. He then potted the black but lost position, ending up too close to the next red, so he played safe up the table :-)

You can watch the break here:
https://youtu.be/FTKH4o1M9p0?t=16866

[youtube]FTKH4o1M9p0?t=16866[/youtube]

Not sure if you this thread has legs, what do you think, Prop? If not full breaks, maybe the first 4/5 shots of some famous breaks could be interesting?

Postby Prop

Really?! What a guess! rofl

Yeah I’d definitely be interested in playing, although I’ve never successfully posted an image on the forum. Do you have to use a hosting site?

Postby chengdufan

Not sure why the Youtube link hasn't worked :-(

It seems remarkable to me that Davis went for the thin cut to the middle to start the break. I don't think he even looked at the long pot that Rekoons suggested. I can't imagine many of today's players going that way.

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Really?! What a guess! rofl

Yeah I’d definitely be interested in playing, although I’ve never successfully posted an image on the forum. Do you have to use a hosting site?

I've very recently learned how to do this.

You go to imgur.com, click on 'New post', then drag your jpeg in. The image is then uploaded. To get the link for here, right click on the uploaded image and choose something like 'copy link site' (sorry guessing the English here, it's in Chinese on my machine).
Then paste what you've copied inside squarebrackets img squarebrackets link squarebracketsslash img squarebrackets

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Not sure why the Youtube link hasn't worked :-(

It seems remarkable to me that Davis went for the thin cut to the middle to start the break. I don't think he even looked at the long pot that Rekoons suggested. I can't imagine many of today's players going that way.

I haven’t watched the vid yet but it looks like the cut red was more of a guarantee that he’d get back towards baulk. The other loose red looks a bit thick to swing the white round, and the white is quite close to the baulk cushion, so being forced to play that that plain ball might have sent the white directly onto the black.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Prop wrote:Really?! What a guess! rofl

I've very recently learned how to do this.

You go to imgur.com, click on 'New post', then drag your jpeg in. The image is then uploaded. To get the link for here, right click on the uploaded image and choose something like 'copy link site' (sorry guessing the English here, it's in Chinese on my machine).
Then paste what you've copied inside squarebrackets img squarebrackets link squarebracketsslash img squarebrackets

I’m on iPhone or iPad, so it might be a little different for me. I wonder if there’s a simpler way of doing it on iOS :chin:

Postby chengdufan

You can't post images from a mobile device I think :-( It's only possible from a desktop, as far as I'm aware.

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:You can't post images from a mobile device I think :-( It's only possible from a desktop, as far as I'm aware.

You can, I post almost exclusively on mobile.

You just need to add the [ img ] [ /img ] manually.

From imgur, tap and hold on the uploaded image and Copy, then post the link between the img codes.

I prefer to use imgbb because it gives you the bbcode (albeit with an extra url bit that I delete).

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
chengdufan wrote:You can't post images from a mobile device I think :-( It's only possible from a desktop, as far as I'm aware.

You can, I post almost exclusively on mobile.

You just need to add the [ img ] [ /img ] manually.

From imgur, tap and hold on the uploaded image and Copy, then post the link between the img codes.

I prefer to use imgbb because it gives you the bbcode (albeit with an extra url bit that I delete).

Do you want to do the next one? I’m going to be in and out of the forum today, got a few things on. But I’ll try and get my head round things ASAP :-)

Postby Iranu

Nah I’m working so I don’t have time to review a break and post it.

Maybe Chengdu can do another one?

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Nah I’m working so I don’t have time to review a break and post it.

Maybe Chengdu can do another one?

Suits me. I think the success of the game depends on how many of us are up to speed on posting images. Hopefully there’ll be enough of us.

Postby chengdufan

All right then. Let's see who can most accurately talk us through the first 25 points of Ronnie's most famous break:

Postby Prop

Just a thought, maybe Chengdufan can remain quizmaster for this one? That way everyone can take part?